Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Maggie lost her accent!!!

Discussion in 'Episode 605 - Now' started by 8307c4, Nov 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sachiko

Sachiko Active Member

People online need lives sometimes honestly, jeez.
    But you're right, you shouldn't let it get to you anyway. It's not like they really know you lol

2. TGO

TGO Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say they need lives, if you ask me. I'm sure these people are perfectly normal outside of how they act on the internet. They just need to find a better way to deal with some of the stress and frustration that comes with living the way they do. Although, I must say that they do make for decent entertainment.

To bring this thread back on topic, I've expressed my opinions on Cohan's ridiculous little accent and I think it's one of several things that really does hold her back as an actress. Her performance in Now could have easily been quite impressive and had a lasting effect had she been able to nail the line delivery that came with it.

3. Walker97

Walker97 Active Member

I think your example here is off...because Obama is often considered the first Black president and he has one white parent...

4. TGO

TGO Well-Known Member

'Black' is a classification of skin tone, African American is considered the general classification for someone with one American parent and one African parent; Barrack Obama is both of these things. The correct term for someone who is of a lighter / fairer skin tone than what is generally considered 'black' would be 'coloured'. However, Obama is not coloured and this is not a debate about race or skin tone.

The example I made was about how a white person cannot run around claiming to be black and a black person cannot run around claiming they are white simply because of their ancestry. Lauren Cohan cannot run around claiming to be 'British' let alone English, especially when she was not born in that country, was not raised there, has no direct English heritage and the time spent there was quite short in comparison to how long she spent in her home country.

While the example is by no means perfect, it was addressing the discussion point that someone claimed that she has 'British Ancestry' which is about as specific as saying that a person with a French mother can call themselves Italian because they have 'European Ancestry' and spent a couple of short years there.

I stand firm on my earlier statement that Cohan is not English, anyone who disagrees is welcome to continue the discussion.

#84 TGO, Nov 12, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  5. DietWater

DietWater Well-Known Member

You are wrong. I'm white as can be but am half black. You're a racist. #Franklin

6. MockingDead

MockingDead New Member

Wow. Just wow. Ever thought these foreigners might have done a better job at the audition than a native? considering it's almost Thanksgiving in America, I'd think you'd be a bit more open minded about outsiders.

7. Biffster

Biffster Well-Known Member

Uh oh. Better not get started on natives....or as we say today, indigenous persons.

8. Walker97

Walker97 Active Member

Black is not solely based on color, it is a cultural identity...

Eh nevermind not the point.

Regardless, none of what you are talking about is all black and white, even on nationality. Based on your definition, I don't think Ted Cruz could run for president. So maybe I like your definition.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

So many Americans refer to anyone from anywhere in Great Britain as English, as if they were synonymous, that it is no wonder this discussion couldn't stay on a straight path. It is an honest confusion for Americans, not just a careless choice of terms. I remember a light bulb going on decades ago when the difference was pointed out to me. :)

And I still sometimes catch myself wrongly saying "English" because the usage is so entrenched in our vernacular.

#89 Lindigo, Nov 12, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  10. CoyoteTWD

CoyoteTWD Well-Known Member

Just stop. You are not a brother.

11. TGO

TGO Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

♫ The show must go oOoOoOon

12. surviving

surviving Well-Known Member

I curious how many of yall have actually been to the South and been around a real Southerner? I expect most of yall are basing your opinions of what a Southerner should sound like on TV shows and movies.

13. RoboLives

RoboLives Member

Me, me, me, I have!
    This thread fascinates me.
    I think Andrew Lincolns southern accent is worse than Lauren's .
    Why do you think his "Caaarrrll" is so famous. His lines are so forced in order to hide his thick accent.

Oh and don't think I'm biased based on my avatar
    :zombies_cuinlove:

#93 RoboLives, Nov 13, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  14. Sachiko

Sachiko Active Member

Not
    Not very surprising, considering his British accent is also thicker than Lauren's...

15. Zed Sanford

Zed Sanford Member

I've lived in a couple different places in the South for almost 20 years now. Both places were about 150 miles from Atlanta (one place further south, one place further north). Rick and Maggie are the ones you can tell that are trying the hardest to pull off an accent and have had a couple cringe worthy moments. I'm pretty forgiving of it though since, you know, they're both Brits (sorry TGO....just had to take a shot there :Grin: ).

Anyway, Maggie's exaggerated accent would be more likely with someone living in a rural/country setting, so at least she got that sort of right. The further you get away from a city, the stronger the accents seem to be. She's not just country. She's counnnnnnntry.

16. Terminator

Terminator Well-Known Member

As we do with you. It should all be in good fun. Anyone taking these forum posts seriously had big problems. It's amazing how passionate some people get about a tv show. I watch it for entertainment and if there's a few holes in the plot or someone doesn't do a great job in a scene, so be it.

17. TGO

TGO Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but considering some of the comments people have made to and about me in this thread; it certainly is not in good fun on their end. I personally find it laughable that a post that does not outright insult anyone is able to dig so deep into people on here that they start saying such drivel.

Which leaves me wondering, which one of those (if any of them) were you? I'd quite like to know. It's so hard to keep track of my beloved little fans on here, I have so many.

#97 TGO, Nov 16, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  18. deadcpa

deadcpa Member

Things change when you are pregnant.

19. Terminator

Terminator Well-Known Member

Well, I was trying to be nice with my last post. But you've just proven that you are a total loser. I call it like I see it, but I don't threaten people over a TV show.

20. Walker97

Walker97 Active Member

Not wanting to start anything, but TGO, you do dish it out a fair bit too...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.