Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Maggie's makes me go hmmmmmm.....

Discussion in 'Episode 210 - 18 Miles Out' started by Maggie, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Maggie

Maggie Member

I can't quite figure Maggie out, but I very much like that she is not a fainting flower like his little sister. Maggie's got some serious strength to her.

- She told off Glenn for what she believed was accepting a "walker-bait" role in the group and not recognizing his worth. While I liked that she said it, I'm not sure that it was received the way she wanted it to be received.

- She slapped Shane after the Barn Apocolypse - and told him not to touch her father again. She was the only one that initially stood up to him and told him to back the F off.... Yes Rick was yelling at him, but She was the only one that caused Shane to pause.

- She hands it to her father for drinking again when they get back from the bar, but then has the sense to drop it when he tells her that drinking was the least of his problems.

- But then gives Glenn a lot of crap for his feelings when they got back from the bar (and while I appreciate her having to deal with him not telling her he loves her in return, she needs to realize that he's known the others longer and she's coming between them). I'm not sure I like the way that is playing out.

- She lays out her sister for taking the cowards way out (and I completely agreed wtih her, sorry guys, but I believe firmly that unless you are definitively terminally ill, suicide IS the cowards way out)

- She then intensely tells Andrea that she is not welcome, that intensity is very compelling and gives her character some nice depth. Absolutely loved how she spoke to Andrea.

I think I like her but..... I dunno.. I can't quite figure her out.

2. marsyao

marsyao Member

In the world we live in, suicide is of course a coward way out, but in a world, between take you own life with your own choice and sooner or later get rip open and eat by walkers, I am not that sure.

3. Fresh Meat

Fresh Meat New Member

Hell yeah, she's smokin! Makes me want to go find a southern belle of my own.

Oh, you said hmmm.. Yes, I agree with all your points.

4. SVTRay

SVTRay Active Member

Interesting, I wonder if you're going to feel the same way in say 4-5 Seasons down the road...yes, Maggie is still very much alive...

5. Maggie

Maggie Member

Not gonna CLICKY CLICK!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! HATE THE CLICKY CLICKING CLICKER!!!!

6. Duzy

Duzy Active Member

Dang it SVTRay! You were supposed to let this conversation go for just a bit longer before exposing the truth! :zombies_lol: I went and picked up some comics today and the guys there and I were discussing just that.

7. SVTRay

SVTRay Active Member

Oops :) ........

8. Kursed Crusader

Kursed Crusader New Member

Maggie is attractive, but she's going to die sooner or later. I'm guessing she'll "opt it out".

9. SVTRay

SVTRay Active Member

Maggie is a cool customer no doubt but she's never leave the farm and really hasn't been exposed to a lot of the stuff that goes on while living on the road. The group in general hasn't, so it will be interesting to see what happens in the future.

10. marsyao

marsyao Member

That was not what I mean at all, What I said was, in ZA, people should have the right to opt it out, and those choose this way are not cowards, here Maggie choose to live according to her own free will, of course we should respect her choice too.

11. Zombie Lover

Zombie Lover Active Member

Maggie lacks empathy. She thinks because she is tough that eveyrone else should be. Her sister, who I don't care for, has just come out of shock. She wants to die. She is probably depressed. There is medication. Maggie needs to stop judging and realize what its like to be vulnerable and hurting.

12. Zambi

Zambi Active Member

Are you claiming that a ZA exonerates one of parenting teenagers? If not, then I wonder what is so hard about seeing the ones parenting this 16 year old girl, interceding.. Would you tell your teen, "Now honey, I know you are miserable and traumatized by being attacked by zombie mom, but if you want to kill yourself, I am all for it because it's the ZA after all."

13. Zambi

Zambi Active Member

Right, a different approach would have been in order there. Just like with Andrea, she should not have promised Maggie she'd take care of her and watch her, so Maggie can rest, then waltz off and leave her alone, because of some self-centered importance she thinks she has for the group, playing look out on the van. A job of which, I believe she has no business having. She already shot one of the group just because he was limping, whats to stop her from making the same mistake twice? She's better off not having that job and only shooting at zombies when they are close enough to see the blacks of their mouths.

14. Maggie

Maggie Member

Look, I don't have a problem with anyone in the group playing to their strengths, whether they have a d*** between their legs or not. Dudes can cook and chicks can shoot. No one should be classified one way or the other becuase of their sex or race.

In this instance I do agree with Greyone. Lori was out of line to tell Andrea that you should be doing womens work simply because she's a woman. (OMG I wanted to punch her right in the mouth when she said that.)

In some respects this reminds me of something someone told me regarding how families are. They are like painters. Some are abstract, some are impressioninsts, some work in Oils and some with charcoal. All debate and argue violently for what they believe in amoun themselves.... but they will ALL band together to fight those who want to burn the pretty pictures.

We need to move beyond As the Zombie Turns and have a greater threat bring them all together again.

15. SVTRay

SVTRay Active Member

The TV adaptation is designed to create drama which in turn gets the people going. They push hot button issues like the Plan B pills/abortion, Racism, and Sexist. Just look how many threads and post has been generated solely on the Love Triangle. AMC knows they will generate a repose with those subjects.

In the source material, they delegate jobs based on people's skills and knowledge. Subject like Race and Sex is really a non issue. So you will find women building, making supply runs, and look outs etc. Their all working together towards one goal....Survival!

16. marsyao

marsyao Member

Exactly, in the ZA, survivors would be categorized into two groups, one are fighters who will protect the group against both walkers and other group, do supply run, build the camp, do guard duties etc. The others are supporters who will do laundry, cook and clean, care for sick and wounded, both groups are equally important for survive. People were assigned to either group based on people's skills and knowledge. Subject like Race and Sex is non-issue, you could see woman like Andrea, Michonne ,Lily and Holy become fighters and man like Dale and Alan become supporters

17. Zambi

Zambi Active Member

Precisely! Gender cards have no business or basis in any kind of world where there is a fight to survive. It's not about who you are, it's about what you can do best that matters.

With that said, I would trust Andrea to go out on scout missions and be able to take down zombies head on with her gun. But she needs to learn more about how to deal with them without a gun, because this seems to be much of the way they have had to deal with zombies and go stealth. Also, I still would not trust her being the sniper on the roof. She already shot one member because she didn't want to bother to wait til they were up close enough to determine if it was actually a zombie.

18. Zombie Lover

Maggie seems the type who has never been had a serious traumatic experience which has affected her badly She has a lot of strong will and character, but she's also somewhat insensitive and judgemental. She is quick to judge her sister as weak for not measuring up.

I hope for the sake of her character development, she has a conciousness raising experience.

19. jacobmarley

jacobmarley Member

Well...right now, Maggie is the only woman that doesn't completely irritate the pee out of me. I am sick of the wilting flower bs that Lori and Carol live by. And Andrea is just a cold, selfish, unfeeling douche at this point. But not totally wrong in this instance. She probably shouldn't have been so proactive in giving the girl her chance. It wasn't her place. But suicide a coward's way out? Obviously you guys don't know much about suicide or clinical depression. Calling it cowardly is just WAY too easy. And in the ZA? Effing right. Even as a parent, I'd have to think about it as an option for my family. Especially after having seen a good number of them ripped apart by walking corpses. It's easy to say it's "cowardly" or "easy" when you're watching safely on a TV set. But put a walking, rotten corpse in front of any of us? I'm thinking most of our brains would melt.

20. Zombie Lover

We don't know a lot about the little sister. But my impressions from the BC discussion with Maggie is that the girl is a bit naive, and probably sheltered. Maybe with some character development we will understand her a bit mroe.

Right now I'm sort of netural about the character.