Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Making A Murderer on Netflix

Discussion in 'Television Shows' started by Jama, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

Part 1 from 3 years ago was great and Part 2 has just been released.

Anyone else following this documentary series? It's some pretty wild stuff.

2. southernlady

southernlady Well-Known Member

Yep, I was amazed that they accepted the confession of Brendan Dassey as being fact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

^^^^
    Yeah. The investigation was poorly handled in so many ways. Even that is an understatement. I don't know what to believe about Steve (I'm still torn on what to believe), but Branden's trial and conviction seems like a miscarriage of justice. No regard for the fact that Branden was a kid, who can be EASILY coerced into saying anything, but he's also not the sharpest tool in the shed. What those investigators and that DA did with Branden, was also criminal, imo.

The fact that Steve was wrongfully accused and imprisoned for the first murder back in the 80s sort of works for and against him. When he was released from prison, he could have thought he could get away with anything. But.... he could have also been wrongly accused AGAIN.

If Steve is actually innocent... talk about crappy luck. lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. southernlady

I’m with you on Steven, I don’t know if I believe he is innocent. Something seemed off with him.

Have you ever heard of The West Memphis Three? Watching that one- it’s called Paradise Lost on HBO
    - makes you realize how flawed our justice system can be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  5. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

ME TOO!!! That was CRAZY! They were ON VIDEO coercing him!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

Hands down one of the best documentaries I have seen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. southernlady

I still don't understand how that was acceptable! Any fool with two eyes could see what was happening. And the boy was not competent enough to understand what they were doing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. southernlady

There is a book called The Devil's Knot that was written about the trial. When I read it and read the evidence that the judge refused to allow to be presented, I was so angry. It was clear TWM3 were not the monsters who murdered those three little boys. I'm convinced it was the stepfather - Terry Hobbs.

#8 southernlady, Oct 23, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. southernlady

There is a Facebook group discussing Making A Murder Season two - some interesting theories. I need to watch!!!

10. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

Avery has a documented history of having a crazy and erratic temper with women. That's why I think it's likely that he did murder her. His ex-wife has made statements about his threats, behavior, verbal abuse, etc. Another ex girlfriend said the same.

Then the gal that became his girlfriend while he was in prison (discussed in this season) was all ready to marry him and then it was revealed in a series of letters, that he started to demonstrate the same behavior toward her. She then broke off the engagement and claims that she is afraid of him and does not want him to ever be released.

First off, she was stupid to even try and cultivate a relationship with him to begin with. But.... to go from supporting him and wanting him to be exonerated, to being afraid of him and hoping that he will never be released.... That's interesting.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. southernlady

I have always scratched my head at women who cultivate relationships with convicted murderers.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

I know right!?!? What are any of them thinking? There's various layers of discussion about that.... for lack of a better term.... phenomenon.

This blonde gal (can't remember her name) who decided to connect with Avery, said that she was just going through a messy divorce. So.... she's hurt, vulnerable, maybe angry at her ex, etc. Basically a lot of emotions happening that can interfere with, say, logic. lol

She also said that her ex-husband was in law enforcement. I don't know, but that's SO WEIRD! She completely switched teams. Opposite ends of the spectrum. She went from law enforcer to convicted murderer. How does a woman make that drastic of a swing with a love interest? There's got to be some deep psychological component at play.

And that's just scratching the surface. Aside from an emotional connection, writing letters and maybe a conjugal visit (awwww yeah!) here and there, what kind of life are they really having "together"? Not much in my opinion. They'd be living two completely different lives.

13. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

Back when that kid shot up a movie theater, I read that women were writing to him in prison. I think there are some women who have a sick fetish for criminals. It's beyond my comprehension.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's disgusting. In this doc, either Avery himself or one of his family members (I can't remember) mentioned all the love letters he's received since being locked up. There's a lot of damaged people out there.

15. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

I haven't seen season two yet, but after watching season one, and then researching all the facts that were left out of season one, I was pretty convinced he was guilty. Brandon I'm less sure about. I came away from it thinking he probably deserved a new trial. Not necessarily exoneration, but a new trial. The way they procured his "confession" alone I think should warrant a new one.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. southernlady

I watched the first two episodes last night, and she was just introduced into the series. My thing is, there is no future with a convicted murderer. It's not like you can share special moments with them, discuss your day as you are having dinner, celebrate holidays. I just don't get it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. southernlady

I was shocked when I found out that Tex Watson, Charles Manson follower, actually married and fathered four children - after his conviction and incarceration!

Richard Ramirez was another one I was shocked to find had groupies. That man was evil, and women were writing to him like he was a rock star or something. Boggles the mind.

#17 southernlady, Oct 24, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. tink

tink Well-Known Member

Ted Bundy married a woman during his trial. Someone married John Wayne Gacy.

Lots of crazy people in the world. And I think at least part of the reason is the attention, plus the fact that you don't actually have to have a relationship with someone who you can never be with physically.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. southernlady

True. I guess they see it as safe.

Someone married John Wayne Gacy? I didn't know that one. People are strange!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

I started part 2 last night, and I had to stop myself from binging it until 5am like i did the first part lol. It's SO addicting. Zellner is really bringing up some interesting points.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1