Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Martinez had to go.

Discussion in 'Episode 407 - Dead Weight' started by SaraBlossom, Nov 26, 2013.

1. SaraBlossom

SaraBlossom Member

Okay okay, before you start hating this post read my reasoning of why it was a matter of time for Martinez to be killed.

The Governor has just found a new family, fully equipped with a "wife", "daughter", and "sister-in-law", per say. They just found camp with a group of people and only ONE person in the whole camp knew his past. What was to say that Martinez would not one day get PO'ed and tell his new family and the camp of who he really was. You all saw the way he said "Yea...Brian" in that mocking tone right to the Governor's face.

Also, why did the writers put a scene about getting inebriated and being alone with the one guy who Martinez KNOWS is sick and can kill even his own people. I'm not sure if a real life person like Martinez would do such a thing. I don't think I would have trusted the governor if put in the same situation and I wouldn't expect the governor to trust me either, knowing that I could one day blab his past life to others.

2. RonRevogeht

RonRevogeht Member

It's true Martinez couldn't seem to leave 'the past in the past' but the key to that whole (golf) scene is when Martinez tells The Governor that he "...couldn't sleep at night knowing he was gonna lose 'em (meaning the girls)". This statement sends up a big red flag and tells The Governor that Martinez is not confident he can secure the camp by himself which means that it's not safe for Megan, Lilly and Tara. That's why The Governor asks Martinez "What, you don't think you can keep this place safe?" Martinez says..."I'll try, hopefully we'll be prepared for whatever comes". Key words there being 'I'll try' and 'hopefully'. This reply confirms The Governor's suspicion that Martinez is not a competent leader and is unable to secure the camp. More importantly the camp led by Martinez is not safe for His family. The Governor at this point is not happy about the apparent lack of security at the camp or the indifferent attitude of Martinez.

Martinez then says "Now that you're here, maybe we can share the crown though". At first, I thought The Governor considered this an insult because that's when Martinez got clubbed—but after re-watching the scene I think The Governor was just furious because Martinez compromised the safety of His family and his incompetent leadership will also not allow The Governor to be Brian. He doesn't want 'IT' meaning the crown, leadership, The Governor, His past, etc...

Killing Martinez did allow The Governor to remain 'Brian' but I'm sure He was really hoping the new leader would be more competent (and sober) than Martinez but Pete also made poor decisions that compromised the safety and well-being of the camp. On the last supply run after the other camp got raided I think The Governor realized at that point Pete was too 'nice' to protect His family and the camp from whoever attacked the other camp. In all fairness to The Governor, instead of just killing Pete He did try to leave the camp with Megan, Lilly and Tara but was unable to.

3. rustybag

rustybag Member

I thought they really failed to develop Martinez. They never really gave us a good scene as to how Martinez felt or what he did after Woodbury was destroyed, why he abandoned the governor, why he would take him back, or why he would be willing to share leadership with him again. They simply failed to show us who he was, if he had strong opinions or a passion for anything, what he thought or felt.

I suppose the reason they wrote that scene is whatever we guess it to be. To me it was to "shock" us after the last episode (which to me wasn't shocking at all, we already knew the governor was a murder and I wasn't falling for the depressed/ remorse bit. I also thought the writers failed to research the characteristics of a psychopath because his flip flopping all over the place was not believable, if that's what they even want him to be). I also thought not only was Martinez poorly developed, but the governor's motive for killing him (and Pete) fell short too.

#3 rustybag, Nov 26, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  4. Shonen

Shonen Member

Why did the governor flip out at Martinez ? It seems as if it came about when Martinez mention that he isn't convinced that the camp is safe, but they'll try to take on any enemy that comes their way. To me the governor at this point snapped. I think this came about both as a combination of fear of not wanting to losing his new family. As well as, the governor not wanting to place trust in someone who does not have all the qualities it takes to be a leader in a zombie apocalypse. Am I right or wrong in this deduction ?

5. Sadie Dixon

Sadie Dixon Active Member

I wish he didn't kill him, and he killed him because he told the governor he couldn't keep Megan and them safe. Then he told him they could "share the crown" and he got pissed off and said he didn't want it and killed him. If Martinez kept his mouth shut and didn't instigate the governor he'd still be alive

[​IMG]

6. Sadie Dixon

Sadie Dixon Active Member

That's all ver true. Martinez shouldn't have instigated the governor though. He knows that he's insane, why say shit you know is gonna set him off. He was an idiot in that scene. He shouldn't have gotten drunk

[​IMG]

7. Zvivor

Zvivor Well-Known Member

The Governor was going to kill Martinez (who knew the Gov's evil past) no matter whator when, sober or drunk, strong or weak.

8. CLEAR

CLEAR Member

When they were all sitting around the table drinking at Martinez' camp Lilly said something to the effect that "this is the 1st time I feel safe." I'm sure that pissed off the Govner.

9. jwcoombs

jwcoombs Well-Known Member

I think a part of Martinez searched for, and hoped to find a sort of brother in arms in Philip Blake. They had shared intense experiences, and Martinez followed him into battle with a fierce loyalty. He even continued to follow the Governor after he slayed his own innocent people. He would have continued to follow him as a loyal lieutenant, friend, and brother. I honestly think; after all that happened with Woodbury, and the Shumpert, I think Martinez was just looking for a friend, a connection, someone how he knew and knew him. Someone with home he could lead, and thrive. I don't think he would have ever told the Governor's secrets. Martinez, I'm sure understood the things this world could drive you to do, the monster it could turn you into during your struggle for survival. He was genuinely happy for Philip; he even commented about it. Martinez remarked several time about the change he saw in the Governor, stating how Lilly and Meghan "really brought him back" and how it was "good to see him this way" and he was happy for him, for all of them, and their second chance after the massacre of Woodbury. But apparently Philip Blake did not feel, or seek the same camaraderie for or from Martinez. He only saw him as a threat; a weakness, a witness, a loose end, and most of all....a reminder. I guess Martinez was right about him all along..."Ice in the veins.".