Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Marvel VS DC

Discussion in 'Comic Books' started by H5N1, Jul 9, 2013.

?

Dc or Marvel?

1. DC

17.9%
  2. MARVEL

67.9%
  3. DEADPOOL

7.1%
  4. yolo (you obviously love oreos)

7.1%
  1. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

I enjoy the new 52 and while DC may have some catching up to do with Marvel's quantity of films, they're definitely leading in the QUALITY of films....

2. Skullberry

Skullberry Member

I assume you mean the nolan films?

3. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

Nolan's trilogy, Snyder's Man of Steel and Watchmen, Donner's Superman I & II, Burton's Batman, etc. Even though it's a mediocre film by comparison to DC's other recent films, I enjoy Green Lantern on a level similar to Marvel's films.

4. Mark Jardine

Mark Jardine Member

As a kid i much preferred Marvel. The films and comics are to me everything a superhero comic/superhero films should be; full of colour, explosions and cheesy quips. However with age i have started to enjoy dc more and more dc seems to be so well written and does seem a lot more adult but as much as i do love dc now outside of the justice league there really isnt that much at all that i am interested in.

5. Skullberry

Skullberry Member

What I'm about to say...I say with a smile in my heart and a sense of fraternal camaraderie.

You're a frikkin weirdo.

6. Skullberry

Skullberry Member

Have you read Marvel's Civil War? Avengers Disassembled? Planet Hulk?

I'm having trouble getting into the new 52 stuff.

7. Porfivor Nixon

I recently tried to read Justice League, but I thought it was terrible.

Marvel has some good comics going on right now. All-new X-men is actually really good, and I don't think an X-men comic has been good for years, but this one I really like. The Beast brought the original team from the past into the present (Yes, Jean Grey has returned) and it's pretty good.

Also, I have enjoyed Superior Spider-Man, I have not liked a Spidey comic for decades but this one is interesting, maybe because it's no longer Peter Parker. Doctor Octopus has possessed Peter Parker's body, and he is now Spider-Man. So the whole comic is how Doctor Octopus fights crime as Spider-man. It sounds like a bad gimmick, and a dumb idea, but it surprisingly has worked really well, I enjoy it a lot, that's one of the ones I read.

The Avengers comics - all of them- have gone downhill. That used to be a good read but it's not great today. Fantastic Four bores me, The Uncanny Avengers started out pretty good, but even that has been pretty mediocre. X-Force, which at one time was a great comic, is now just so-so.

8. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

Lol...how so?

9. Skullberry

Skullberry Member

You're equating the green poop movie to avengers? I tried on several occasions to make it all they way thru that crapfest and failed every time. I loved Nolan's first 2 bat movies...couldn't stand the third one (I know I'm on a short bus by myself on that one). Watchmen was as good as a movie adaptation could be except for ozymandius (way to gay...should have been more subtle).

I loved dc in the nineties and early 2000's. It infuriates me that they just pooped on so much continuity. After a masterpiece like "killing joke" Barbara Gordon just...got better? inexcusable.

10. Sco

Sco Member

I like certain parts of each side. Never read any comics until Walking Dead and those are still the only ones I've read. Love Batman and Spiderman as well as the newer games between the two (Arkham and Amzing Spiderman). Xmen is great minus the 2 Wolverine ones.... I've not seen Man of Steel but heard it was somewhat weak. Really hoping for the next Batman movies to be good cause Dark Right Rises was UBER FAIL..... Like how do you do that bad after Dark Knight? Absence of Heath Ledger I guess??

/rant

11. Gravelord

Gravelord New Member

Depends on the era. Are we talking Golden age era, Silver age era etc. At the moment D.C. has the better comic runs. The New 52 was a great idea and it really cleared up the continuity issues. New 52 Batman, Wonder Woman and Swamp Thing are some of the best runs in comics. Marvel has Hickman's Avengers....that is about it. I would give Marvel the cinematic edge though (Even though Iron Man 3 was terrible).

12. DonnyTWD

DonnyTWD Active Member

Tough call!I like both

...but the DC/Hellblazer :Constantine comics just does it for me,so DC!

13. Sachiko

Sachiko Active Member

I like more of Marvel's comics. So I'll go with Marvel.

14. Melo

Melo Active Member

well i'm a huge fan of batman but my second favorite are the x-men so i can not decide

15. JerseyZombabe

JerseyZombabe Member

Marvel, of course...
    DC is all about the acceptance of the extraordinary. Do you really think people would be fawning over the perfect and self-righteous Superman? Would law enforcement really build a signal for a vigilante who wears a skin tight suit and helmet with ears who doesn't even really possess any super powers? I don’t think so.
    Marvel is genius in the way they display the interweaving of superheroes and superpowers within the real and pedestrian world. Reactions from the “normal people” to these characters are visceral, primitive and real. I can relate more to them. Marvel is more realistic and encompassing with characters and storytelling. DC pales in comparison to Marvel's titles. For me, the realism of it all makes it more fascinating. And then there is Wolverine… RAWR ;-P

16. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm assuming you're talking about the film franchises? To each their own, but DC handles their properties in a MUCH more real-world way than Marvel. For example, Batman and Superman have been chased and hated in their recent franchises. In Man of Steel, Superman was outcast and labeled as a hostile alien throughout the entire film. Whereas in Thor, they just kind of accept that there are Gods living on a distant planet and they'll roll with it...

17. Skullberry

Skullberry Member

In a way, Marvel comics have a more real world "feel" to them. For instance, Marvel characters seem be the secret identities first...the costume one second. DC the other way around.

Marvel seems to portray their characters more as people who wear costumes and do crazy stuff. DC handles theirs as icons (with good reason). where the person in the costume is secondary to the image that they portray.

I haven't read current dc stuff and all this is just a general feeling I have. I'm not saying that one approach is better than the other.

18. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

Superman: his birth origin is from another planet but his false identity(Kent) is a reflection of the way he views and blends in with Earth's people. His kryptonian suit is his birthright.

Batman: orphaned at an early age with extreme wealth left in the wake. Spends many years honing his skills to fight crime. Becomes a "dark knight", if you will, to protect the people he cares about. Completely loses himself in this creation and becomes only a reflection of his former self.

These are only two examples of how the superheroes of the DC universe are their true characters and their alter egos are only a disguise.

19. The1WhoKnocks

The1WhoKnocks Active Member

Marvel over DC for me.

20. MrSmith317

MrSmith317 Active Member

Comics = Marvel hands down. To me, Marvel takes the "real" world and injects it's characters into that world just like my favorite DC comic "Watchmen". DC built a universe rather than using one that already existed...hell DC still feels like they haven't left the 60s for the most part.

Movies = DC with the slight edge. Let me start off by saying I thought the Spiderman movies were horrible. All of them. The Hulk was embarassing and Marvel can't even put together a decent animated flick that doesn't star one or most of the Avengers. The Batman movies and their animated movies hold them slightly above Iron Man and the Avengers however I think Winter Soldier will kick Marvel back on top.

In any case both Marvel and DC have a lot to offer, I don't know why we can't just focus on the characters rather than the publisher. And yes, the Hulk would kick the crap out of Superman.