Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Marvel VS DC

Discussion in 'Comic Books' started by H5N1, Jul 9, 2013.

?

Dc or Marvel?

1. DC

17.9%
  2. MARVEL

67.9%
  3. DEADPOOL

7.1%
  4. yolo (you obviously love oreos)

7.1%
  1. MrSmith317

MrSmith317 Active Member

That's a very interesting take on these two characters and truly how they've developed as the years have gone by. However I will offer you this in counter. The Marvel characters(for the most part) are real people that deal with problems both external and internal. One of the seminal Marvel characters, Wolverine is forever haunted by his past, and forever knowing that he has an eternity to bear the weight of it all. Every character has real internal turmoil, love, hate, jealousy, etc.. They are real people...not just "heroes". That's where DC falls short in my eye. Their characters tend to be heroes first and people second so you never see the vulnerability that lies beyond the planet crushing power. And since I'm feeling squirrely today I'm leaving off with this:

[video=youtube;17CLlZuiBkQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17CLlZuiBkQ[/video]

#41 MrSmith317, Feb 6, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  2. Midna

Midna New Member

DC or MARVEL

it's easy, choose

Dc

or Marvel. (marvel has Deadpool, your argument is invalid)

3. TyberiusFox

TyberiusFox Well-Known Member

Wolverine is far and away my most favorite character and has been since I was just a little tike. So, because of that I'd have to say Marvel.

4. Roray

Roray Member

Marvel, all the way.

Batman and Flash are cool,

but, c'mon son,

you got.. wolverine, spiderman, gambit, nightcrawler, hulk, and many others on Marvel

if you couldn't tell, big, BIG X-men fan.

5. BrotherRoy

BrotherRoy Member

I was a big DC fan in my younger years, but with the Marvel Cinematic Universe and it's consistency I have found myself leaning more towards Marvel. However, to be honest I collected more X-Men comics in the past than I did DC comics. I would just read those in the store or get TPB's.

I'm a Superman fan, Hulk fan, Avengers fan and JLA fan. I loath Batman primarily because of some fans who overhype him. I tolerate Wolverine, but in a sense he has the same problem.

As far as movies go, I give the edge to Marvel now. They built a continuity regardless of what people think of the films. DC/WB/CW are still trying to wrap their heads around that concept and keep putting characters in shows, etc, then copping out and saying, "It'd be to confusing to have them all together in this medium over here since we have them over there." It's annoying. I won't even go near Arrow although my best friend keeps trying to get me to watch it after dealing with boiling blood pressure from the silliness of Smallville despite starting off as a big fan of that show due to being a fan of Supes.

I do agree that Marvel tends to focus on the person rather than the hero most of the time. The events are more personal and the characters are more personal. I was thinking on this the other day and when you pick up a Marvel comic you don't have to deal with the whole secret Identity thing unless it's Spider-Man...however, I must admit I have not read all of 52 yet. I started off with Action Comics and Superman, but haven't gotten to them all because I started back reading Marvel in the 60's.

Oh, and I didn't vote because there's no "both" option.

6. Z-Man

Z-Man Well-Known Member

Apples and Oranges to me. DC has larger than life heroes, while Marvel has individuals of exceptional ability living among us. In fact, very few Marvel characters define themselves as "Heroes" in the conventional sense; Captain America is symbolic, The X-Men are paramilitary, Fantastic 4 are Adventurers... come to think of it, the only ones actually labeled Heroes are the assembled Avengers. DC has a veritable stable of self-made Heroes that are tailor made to battle evil in whatever form it takes.

Hulk Vs. Superman? why is this still a debate? After the Marvel Vs. DC crossover in the 90's it was concluded once and for all. The result? Hulk was getting angry and stronger every moment, Superman realized this and figured if the fight went on too long he could get strong enough to pose a threat so he put him down like a 5 year old with muscular dystrophy by leveling a mountain with his body. Yep, mountain to crater in no time flat.

DC will always win in power. Marvels speedster, Quicksilver can break the speed of sound in about the time Flash is nearing the light barrier. And while silver surfer is on a level above earths mightiest, green lantern would carve him open despite what that book said (Maybe it was because it was Kyle Rainer... Whatever.)

The exception here has to be the skilled human characters from both camps. These guys are pretty much equal; Hawkeye, Green Arrow. Punisher, Batman. Captain America, also some Batman. and so on...

So it really matters what you like. If you want epic super hero battles and broad scoping storylines, you want DC. If you prefer watching the struggles of individuals with abilities or skills, you might find Marvel fun. I prefer both. cause they are fun.

7. TheGreatOnion

TheGreatOnion Well-Known Member

I used to be a big fan of Marvel, but stories like TWD have ruined it for me. Marvel stories seem so inconsequential now. Any and every story and its supposedly huge ramifications can/will be undone within one year. Deaths in XMen or Avengers books don't even phase me as a big deal anymore, even if its a character I like, because I know they'll be back again. I was never a big DC fan, but judging from what I've seen of it, they're the same.

I prefer the consequences of a story to be lasting and real, and not to have a year's worth of stories and character development undone and started over every time there's a new writer or mega-event.

8. Kilroy was here

Kilroy was here Well-Known Member

Ferro Lad worked on his sun tan like a BOSS.

9. Casca910

Casca910 Active Member

In movies
    I have to give this to Marvel, DC had the Nolan Batman (IMHO the Dark Knight was the best superhero movie to date) but the Marvel movies are interconnected and gives the feel of a real world.

In comics
    I would have to say, Marvels 'Ultimate' line is good. Death is real and (except in EXTREME circumstances) permanent.
    DC, IMO, has been trying to chase the success of 'Crisis on Infinite Earths' and has failed too many times.

In Cartoons
    DC BY FAR. Both in the Cartoon movies and on TV. 'Young Justice' was the best superhero cartoon ever (it got cancelled because it targeted the late teen early 20 crowd, and that crowd doesn't buy toys. No marketing, no renewal).

10. STRINGS

STRINGS Well-Known Member

Attention ALL DC Comic Fans!! I started a little thread called 'Walker Kombat' where you vote for a character pitted against another in sort of a Mortal Kombat style (winner is the one that gets the most votes). Anyways, Oliver Queen is up, and I am appealing/recruiting to any and all DC/Arrow fans to go vote for him (all you have to do is type 'Vote for Arrow'). I need as many DC 'Ringers' as possible to vote for him, as currently most posters are going against him. Anyways, give it a whirl & MANY THANKS to all that do!!
    Here's the link-----> ARROWNEEDSYOURVOTE

11. IncognitoForever

IncognitoForever Active Member

Definitely Marvel. Not only does it take me back to a place of playful tomboy nostalgia I very much like the plots and twists and illustrations.

12. Kittyworker

Kittyworker New Member

DC vs Marvel I would have to go with DC, DC vs Deadpool and Deadpool wins!

I love DC's Vertigo line, but lately it has been pretty lackluster. All the great Vertigo stories have run their course and only a few survive that I really care to follow. Deadpool on the otherhand always makes me laugh. While I don't like the Marvel Universe all that much because of all the Superheroes, Deadpool is probably the only superhero I still read.

13. Strife

Strife Member

Although DC was here first and a lot of their characters pre-date their Marvel counterparts my vote still goes to Marvel. The rogue gallery in DC is dismal compared to that of Marvels. Marvel has always seemed to be able to draw readers in with their overlapping events that happen in the comic verse, and even though DC does the same it's never of the same calibre IMO.

And for the Deadpool fans he's known to be a blatant copy of Deathstroke.
    Don't get me wrong Deadpool is awesome, but he wouldn't exist without Deathstroke. ;)

14. the walking jet

DC's cool but if i could only choose one it would be marvel..

i've been a big spider-man fan since i was a kid..

15. steely

steely Well-Known Member

Marvel. D.c. sucks. ..

16. barry

barry Member

Pre 52 I would of said Marvel for sure but I don't know now. They both have awesome stuff, Batman was never my favourite but I just read The Death of Family, it was incredible. So overall I'm really not sure.
    Marvel's movies blow DC's out of the water though.

17. Newtbro

Newtbro Member

I lean toward Marvel, though DC is good.