Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

May, 2016 - pretty good time for building new PCs

Discussion in 'Creative Art' started by Cbcw76, May 4, 2016.

1. Cbcw76

Cbcw76 Member

May 2016 is bringing in some much lower prices on PC building components. RAM, for example, has been wonderfully dropping, with 16gb (two 8gb sticks) running in the $60-70 range for middle-CAS speeds, less for slower-CAS speeds and $75 for the fastest CAS 9 (DDR3) and CAS 14 (DDR4) sticks. And for $10-15 more, the RAM sticks will have more XMP profiles installed for easiest overclocking. If you're into that sort of thing...

These are $30 price-drops since January - fairly significant.

SSDs are getting cheaper but not so much. The smallest USABLE capacities (120-128gb) are touching sub-$40 ranges for newest TLC technologies. These aren't recommended for constant daily use as OS drives, but they're great for Cache & Temp File drives, or as clone-able OS Masters.

The SSD price drop really hasn't affected how much the computer costs - instead of spending $150-175 on an OS drive of 240-256gb capacity, now consumers are spending $150-175 for 480-512gb capacities. Same dollar expenditure, but twice the capacity. (I still caution against the use of OS drive capacities as a 'working data' drive, though. Of all the drives to 'preserve', it's the OS drive that begs for the most careful use, the least amount of 'Writes, Deletes, Moves'. It's the one drive every computer needs to work each and every time - don't tax those with letters to Mom - store those on a hard drive.)

Good power supplies haven't gone down much. If $75 is too much for good quality and stable power to your system, I counsel not spending anything at all. GOLD ratings allow smaller power-supplies to be purchased, so slight reductions in monthly utilities comes to bear, or else settle for a BRONZE rating and over-buy the capacity, wasting more in monthly utilities. For example, if a 4-hard drive system needs 450w, a 550-600 GOLD will cover that. But if I was choosing a BRONZE, I'd go for a 650-700 even 750. The lower the rating, the lower stable electrical flow is provided - BRONZEs will fluctuate far more than GOLDs, therefore.