Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

meaning of Daryl stabbing Merle repeatedly?

Discussion in 'Episode 315 - This Sorrowful Life' started by shanewalking, Mar 28, 2013.

1. DarylFTW

DarylFTW Member

Very well said.

2. luv it all

luv it all Active Member

Daryl told Merle all he wanted was his brother back. Daryl never expected that same day his hopes would be dashed permanently. The chance to have a relationship with his brother was now totally gone.

3. LMT

LMT Member

4. ShanesGhost

ShanesGhost Member

I thought it was very clear what they were trying to say, it was the fact that no matter what Daryl did for Merle he was always a screw up. That's why the episode starts with Rick asking Merle,"Do you ever think about why you do the things you do?" Daryl has been stoic throughout the entire show, but he finally broke down and showed his most vulnerable side which clearly displayed how much he loved and cared for Merle. He went through hell to find his brother on the roof top only to be dissapointed that he cut his own hand off and got himself into this huge mess in the first place.

Then, someway somehow miraculously, Merle is alive and he goes to find him at Woodbury, only to find out he's beaten up Glenn and put himself in a stupid situation when he didn't have to. Even after he finally saves him heroically and risks his life to get captured to just see his brother, Merle ultimately and inevitably puts himself in harms way by kidnapping Michonne then going on a suicide mission.

It was decades of built up anger and sadness that his big brother failed him in so many ways when he always believed deep down he would have turned things around someday. It's like Daryl said a few episodes back," I'm the one walking away, but you're the one that's really leaving me again."

5. Juggernaut

Juggernaut Member

Apart from the apocalypse. His childhood and everything that has happened in his life

6. shanewalking

shanewalking Well-Known Member

I don't think Daryl despised Merle at all, he wasn't the best brother in the world but he was his brother, he loved him, that's why he cried the way he did.

7. shanewalking

shanewalking Well-Known Member

8. LMT

LMT Member

Didn't mean to post twice :zombies_lol: I thought my previous post got eaten..oops!

9. Infected Isaac

Infected Isaac New Member

To me it was all of Daryl's anger toward Merle spilling out. He was angry at Merle for so many reasons as they were growing up and now he's angry at Merle for 'leaving' him.

10. ILove_TheGov

ILove_TheGov Member

I think it was because Daryl was mad that Merle essentially sacrificed himself to try to save the prison group.

11. Zugzwang

Zugzwang Member

Daryl grew up with a history of family violence. I guess dude's been conditioned to release all negative emotions through violence as well. Viscous cycle.

12. Dark Meat

Dark Meat Member

Oh I don't doubt his love for his brother but there was a lot of Merle's nature that I'm sure still scarred Daryl (abandonment issues and his "tough love")

13. kjmarket

kjmarket Member

This. There is anger in him towards Merle for what he has done and for leaving a long time ago. So it was somewhat anger, somewhat hurt.

14. iamnotarobot

iamnotarobot Member

exactly!

15. Zombie Lover

Zombie Lover Active Member

16. deadcpa

deadcpa Member

He likes swiss cheese.

17. Silent Thrill

Silent Thrill Member

no not at all.i think he was "mad at merle"for dying since he wanted him to come back as a member.

18. Silent Thrill

Silent Thrill Member

i see it as id do that to my dad for leaving me in that world so maybe that?