Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Michonnes' flashback

Discussion in 'Episode 409 - After' started by Faelan Dixon, Feb 10, 2014.

1. tink

tink Well-Known Member

Michonne was not a lawyer before the ZA, that was Andrea. We don't know what Michonne was.

2. Faelan Dixon

Faelan Dixon Member

Well i guess it was a dream but i just had a hard time finding out what that scene meant :p

3. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Don't get me started!! I've had turds I liked better than that flashblack. :p

4. Faelan Dixon

Faelan Dixon Member

wtf

even this picture exists when you google zombie turd:

[​IMG]

5. Hershel's Head

Hershel's Head New Member

Man, I think your on to something here.... How do Zombies take a deuce? I mean, after they munch through a few blondes and brunettes they must be prairie dogging it all the way to the next meal, perhaps that's why they shuffle the way they do, cuz its hard to walk with an ass goblin trying to escape.

6. Zvivor

Zvivor Well-Known Member

I wasn't out of the room and I thought they had jumped to a weird satire commercial or something. Hey, what happened to "They weren't humans to begin with"? (Michonne to Andrea in the only prior Michonne flashback). Sorry people, this made NO sense interms of story, its timing was bizarre, they need to talk lessons from Darabont on how to do an effective flashback and, for pete's sake, keep your story straight if you're going to do a flashback. Mike and friend were hardly inhuman. It's like they filmed something else and didn't show it to us. So my vote, as much as I love Michonne and this show -- F-for this flashback. Do it right or don't do it.

7. jwcoombs

jwcoombs Well-Known Member

Andrea was a clerk in a law office. Michonne was most definitely a lawyer.

Here's a link the wiki, but I remember it being mentioned in the comic. Trying to figure out which issue.
    http://walkingdead.wikia.com/wiki/Michonne_(Comic_Series)

8. tink

tink Well-Known Member

Ah, well that's the problem. In the TV show, Andrea was a civil rights lawyer, but they never said what Michonne did. You were talking about the comics though.

9. jwcoombs

jwcoombs Well-Known Member

Yeah, I guess I was just inferring that Michonne had the same profession before the Turn as her comic counter part. But, you are right, we technically still do not know what her pre-plague prefession was in the TV series. But that still leaves lawyer as a possibility.

Something I just thought of, in the dream sequence Terry said "You've gotten good with a sword, do you know what that makes you?". I wonder how she learned to wield a sword in the TV series. I know that in the comic she studied fencing throughout grade school and college.

#29 jwcoombs, Feb 10, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  10. jj_vsp

jj_vsp Well-Known Member

I didn't hate it, but thought it was kind of off-putting at first. When she woke up in the car and being very shaken, it made more sense.

If it was a flashback it would've been a series of actual events from her past, but since they made it so surreal with all the weirdness, it was obvious to me that she was dreaming.

Once they showed their arms cut off as the scene progressed, I put it together that they were her original pet walkers and understood who they were from her past. The view out the window of downtown also went from normal skyline to destruction during the scene. Had to watch it a few times though to catch everything.

11. Danger Bunny

Danger Bunny Member

It wasn't a flashback. It was a dream. Dreams rarely make literal sense and are almost never historically accurate.

Well it looks like they followed your advice and didn't do a flashback, so you should be happy.

12. Danger Bunny

Danger Bunny Member

I definatly think Mike and Terry (?) decided to give up and commit suicide and I think they took out the kid when they did it. That leaves Michonne having to deal with her zombie-lover, her zombie-friend and her zombie-son... It certainly explains why she disliked them enough to keep them as armless, jawless pets -- simply killing them would be too good for them.

13. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

You might be the only one in the room that hated this Drashback [Fleam?] more than me. I rate it a D minus. :p

14. lurkers&roamers

I didn't hate it, but I also didn't particularly like it. I can see the reasoning behind giving us a little bit of backstory for Michonne in this particular episode. I even like the idea of a flashback, provided it's done right. I feel this one could have been executed much better. The rest of the episode was great, but this scene held it back a bit.

15. mtito914

mtito914 Active Member

The writers tried a different approach with a dream riddle sequence....maybe they were trying to one up Darabont.....but, it didn't work. It was bad in every aspect. The acting, the dialog, the out of character mannerisms of Michonne...it was a very bad webisode at best..

16. Z-Man

Z-Man Well-Known Member

After several viewings, I have realized what feels so jarring about the sequence. As they are talking, time is skipping forward despite remaining in the apartment and appearing to be the same conversation. The start of the conversation seems to be life before the ZA and as they are talking they twist to a while after it began. It really was a lot of information crammed in, and if done in a flashback would have been several scenes.

I am sure that this is not the end of her story. More will be revealed as we go, as there is still some time to go before we meet up with anyone else with these 3.

17. TyberiusFox

TyberiusFox Well-Known Member

IMO, I believe they depicted the feel of a dream/nightmare very well. The way multiple aspects mesh into one, or how scenes seem to change without changing, and also how bizarre and awkward they feel. Maybe it's just my dreams, but the scene felt right. Also, I thought the acting was good. I had no problem enjoying this scene.

18. Z-Man

Z-Man Well-Known Member

Absolutely! It wasn't a flashback at all, more of a fever dream. Drawn from memories, triggered by recent events. I noticed the sudden appearance of the child and subsequent vanishing in this sequence as a signpost of sorts as to time frame. Once the child is gone, the boyfriend and his pal have no arms and nothing further to say. Could they have killed the child, sparing it life in this horrible world? Died themselves and killed the child after turning? Who is to say?

I assume myself, due to recent themes of who you were/are staying/changing, she has seen some people who just let this world turn them into monsters. It is possible that they killed or got him killed by their actions or inactions(did they actually go to the camp discussed, or stick it out there as per his insistence? ) and she could have killed them in a fit of rage or revenge. Turning them into the lovable zombie pets we first saw. She was nearly feral when she came upon Andrea, and cared for her in a motherly way when she saved her after the farm.

I just really agree about the visuals most. Knife to katana, darkening the lighting, even the musical cues to define the scene. It all felt very dreamlike.

19. Benzel

Benzel Member

Well Michonne was a lawyer wasn't she? It was a clearly a dream.... she woke up at the end.

It wasn't a flashback.

#39 Benzel, Feb 11, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  20. westwingnut

westwingnut Well-Known Member

Dream sequence.