Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Michonne's Walkers giving them away

Discussion in 'Episode 303 - Walk with Me' started by PhenomChriso, Oct 31, 2012.

1. PhenomChriso

PhenomChriso Member

I noticed something that COULD be a mistake but what the hell, i'll give it a shot :p

In the episode they revealed the whole reason to why Michonne removed the lower jaw and arms (obviously all fans knew it was to stop biting). BUT something I didn't know was that it also took away the walker's need to feed. Brilliant!
    ANYWAY... Taking this fact into account. The scene when Michonne attached them to the tree while hiding the from the governor and his boys. Michonne ended up decapitated them because they were making noise and giving them away. Now they were making noise because they appeared to be trying to get free and get at the governor and troops... But their need to feed has been taken away. Hmmmm....

The only theory I can think of is that Walkers get angry if their own kind are killed. They seemed to react more as more walkers were killed. What do you guys think?

2. DIALINBI

DIALINBI New Member

This was discussed on another thread.

Some people think that they were just used to the smell of Andrea and Michonne so new living people being around caused them to act up.

Or they acted up because there were other walkers around.

However, I am sure Andrea and Michonne had both been around other walkers at some point but we don't really know if they had the same reaction.

Maybe they just sensed danger was lurking around the corner....

3. Walker Bait

Walker Bait Well-Known Member

The urge to feed was gone, but walkers also have a deeply ingrained stimulus response reflex. They want to follow sounds, smells, etc.

Think about it this way. If in episode 213 Michonne's walkers had been in Atlanta and saw/heard the helicopter, they would have followed it just like the rest of the herd did. The difference is when they got to the farm they would have just sort of stood there while the rest of the walkers tried to eat Rick, Hershel, and the others.

4. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

I think it was more Merle tracking than the walkers alerting where Michonne & Andrea were..

Daryl Does it so Merle would do it..

5. z0mbi3 k1ng

z0mbi3 k1ng Member

I was kinda becoming attached to the pet walkers. :-(

6. z0mbi3 k1ng

z0mbi3 k1ng Member

Cutting off their jaws isn't what directly took away their urge to feed. It took away their ability to feed, which made them begin to starve, then they lost the urge to attack.

7. Dead man walking

Don't go by what the so called called scientists tell you in the series, these parts of the story are there to show you that the survivors are as clueless as anyone and only guessing. Zombies don't feed for nutrition therefore they do not starve, they are dead, they cannot starve or feed, they simply rot. They desire living flesh it has nothing to do with a need for food, just some inbuilt carnal desire and they cannot process it, they are dead. It won't make them 'fat' if they each too much, not will they re-die if they don't get a square meal per day. The fact they are thinner is simply as a result or rotting away. This is just pure speculation by the Gov's doctor, nothing more. As for smelling humans, forget that too - zombies don't smell or hear like humans - they are dead, senses do not work when dead - the only thing keeping them re-animated is the thing happening in their brain. When they are drawn to sounds it is more to do with resonance of a sound wave rather than the sound itself. Same with Rick/ glen's meat suits - nothing do do will smell, that was their guess work, more likely that they moved slow and like a walker and were luckily ignored, once they panicked and started to talk/ run, it drew attention. Anything moving faster or outside how a zombie sees the world will get noticed.

I can't give an answer for why the 'twins' were becoming manic, it was more for drama. I anyway don't buy that she would be able to have these two in tow at all, without jaws or arms they would just crowd your personal space head butting you all the time. Plus falling over a lot you would have to keep picking them up. Someone said on another forum that 'an animal, when it can't get it's prey gives up eventually', which is true to some extent, but this isn't an animal and has no 'instinct' or reasoning. It just does. And as camouflage, well that wouldn't work either - since sometimes walkers follow other walkers. I fone lone walker sees two others it would likely fall in behind you than ignore you. So unfortuantely we have to 'suspend disbelief' with regard to these two 'twins'.

8. TheVacantThrone

This is the best argument i've heard against using them as camoflauge and one i've been trying to tell people: In TWD lore, zombies stick together most of the time. That's how herds are formed like the one that over-ran the farm. One zombie hears a noise, heads in that direction, another zombie see's the first one moving, and follows. Eventually you end up with 1,000 zombies herding together and that ends like the farm did.

9. Voncroy

Voncroy Member

We'll see more of them according to some sources.
    I'm guessing Michonne will have a full episode to explore her personality (just like Daryl had in season 2) and I am pretty sure we'll see a flashback concerning her pets. It's been hinted they used to be important to her, so they have to develop those connections.

10. Voncroy

Voncroy Member

If I were you I wouldn't try to over-complicate the issue. What you see in the series is how the zombies work in TWD world. Kirkman wrote them that way. Zombies act differently movie to movie and this is how it goes for TWD.

#10 Voncroy, Nov 1, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  11. RicksRightHand

Is that why the zombies were sniffing Rick and Glen as they walked past them? Also, in Season 2 when Shane was trapped in the bus... if the zombie has no sense of smell/taste, why were they clambering over each other to get to the blood that Shane smeared on the side of the door?

As for that point, I do believe we had evidence of other walkers following Michonne's pets. The opening scene for ep.303 shows two walkers in the field trailing behind Michonne and Andrea. It could be argued that they were following the noise of the helicopter but it could also be seen as other walkers following the pets.

#11 RicksRightHand, Nov 1, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  12. CheebaMonkey83

CheebaMonkey83 New Member

I am up to issue 50-something in the comics right now and I was just reading the explanation regarding how they act, I will be interested to see if they follow the same plot line in the show.

I would like to believe that the scientist is just theorizing on how the zombies function. To me, having some other type of function besides trying to feed on the living is trying to adapt human traits to something that is clearly no longer human. The only function they have is to eat flesh, the idea of having some type of complex digestive system, is irrelevant. If they can starve, then why haven't they found any malnourished, "dead" zombies lying around. How did this scientist figure out that they starve? I would imagine that, if anything, they would decompose until the brain is completly decomposed, and that would be the only natural way for them to die.

13. A1337sti

A1337sti Member

Yes and not really. That's a distinction between Horror and Sci-Fi / sci-fi Horror. in a Sci-Fi genre everything that happens can either be explained using real science, made up science, or a blend of the two (like a lot of star trek) like the teleporter or replicator . Totally unrealistic , yet they invented a scientific explantation that semi holds water.

In a horror genre most every day laws of nature apply, but then 1 , 2 or a handful are broken / changed. With out a scientific explanation . but that's it. there's a new set of rules a finite set.

Take Halloween / Micheal meyers. do people fly around and cast spells? No. now Micheal seemingly can't be killed. shot in the chest 4 times, and he's okay. body armor? well no because he's bleeding. in one of them he gets shot in both eyes , bleeds a bunch, but he's still stabbing and slicing (blindly) but Excluding mr meyers, everything else is normal and obeys the normal laws of nature.

Now lets look at the Fantasy genre! Lord of the rings, harry potter, sponge bob, polar express, south park, peter pan, (star trek Q episodes) . In a fantasy you don't have to explain what happens in scientific terms. harry potter can cast spells, gandalf the white can shoot magic beams from his staff, Kids can fly with faerry dust, and farries die if you tell them you don't believe, but come back to life when you clap..

Honestly its a bit insulting that you keep harping on your sponge bob fantasy angle. Do you think the rest of us are so stupid we can't determine Horror from Fantasy?

TWD simply breaks one law of nature , dead humans become animated. don't think of it as they are coming back to life (they aren't alive) but they are re-animated . How can they starve, see, move , groan, bite, chew, swollow ... etc. ?

They can't, but they do. that's the Horror !!

how does micheal meyers keep killing people after he got shot? he just does, that's why its horrifying

How does a Car come to life ? it shouldn't, the thought of that happenning is .. .well horrorfying.

The thought of the world acting Exactly as it should... really isn't horrorfying , now is it? that's not the horror genre, its called a documentary / history. :shining:

Would you say the same for star trek, star wars, the twilight zone or say Contact? What about Alien? becuase in alien humans can travel on space ships between solar systems. something we cant' do. so they might as well have dwarves and gnomes on the space ship too?

We get it, you are personally upset that Zombies don't make sense but the rest of their world does. that's the premise for the show..

can you answer me this (truely currious) Do you watch the show, in the same way that people who hate howard stern listen to his show every day? like you love to hate it ? or do you really enjoy it but just get fixated on the whole "the dead can't walk" aspect ?

14. PhenomChriso

PhenomChriso Member

Wow.. There are a lot of very in depth answers here :D
    Very good points everyone

15. MaccDuff

MaccDuff Member

Great non-answer (particularly the part about the "resonance of a sound wave") that contradicts most everything we've seen so far. And don't forget, the survivors have seen more in their months alive than we viewers have, so we have to trust what they're saying - like scratches killing.

The supposedly tame walkers getting worked up is called "bad writing". When the setting is a fantasy world with lots of unknowns, it's a lot easier to get by with it.