Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Morgan Go! - subtitles

Discussion in 'Episode 601 - First Time Again' started by Stuartino, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Stuartino

Stuartino Member

I have to admit that I am at a certain age(50) where my hearing is affected, too many parties/festivals.
    But I have struggled with the sound on TWD before, and there have been other threads on here about the sound being muffled. The scene where a group of walkers attack the work party and Rick says that Carter can handle this, he's got to.
    I could swear that Rick said Morgan, No! and was cross that Morgan intervened. Following the time hops of conversations between Morgan and Rick I was sure that Rick was angry, and that he wanted Carter to fend for himself. But with the subtitles on for the third watching if the show, he says Morgan Go! that completely changes the scene and its meaning. anyone replying to this post please could you speak up. Thanks.

2. j bird

j bird New Member

It's inevitable for me, too. Scenes with dialogue, the volume goes up to 49. Action sequences, down to 30. When I can't make out what's said, I skip back 10 seconds. I still end up putting the closed captioning on to finally understand what was said. I think the actors are directed not to enunciate because it would diminish the realism or intensity of the shot. That being said, for our sake, I really wish they'd clean up/compress/boost the dialogue audio.
    I'm pretty sure my closed captioning said "Morgan, no!". It does play into Morgan's next comment about taking chances better.

3. Berry

Berry Member

I also think Rick said "NO!", rather than "GO". Rick does want the townsfolk to begin fending for themselves. (Like learning to drive: Morgan would prefer them to learn on a closed course, Rick just takes them out on the highway!)

4. westwingnut

westwingnut Well-Known Member

I heard "No" as well. And I don't trust the person doing the initial subtitles. Back in season 3, when Rick left Andrew in the courtyard, someone posted that the subtitle said something like "(chomping noises)".

5. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

I watch the first time without subtitles--and no backing up because I am watching AMC's simulcast thing--I forget what it's called. Then I turn on the CC and watch it again on the Encore Presentation after Talking Dead.

If I remember correctly, I thought Rick said "Morgan! GO!" when I was watching without subtitles and then was horrified to see it was, "Morgan! NO!" on the captioned viewing. I might be misremembering, but I think that is what I experienced.

I rolled my eyes at the Alexandrians that not one tried to use the leverage of a shovel to bash a head after Rick called, "Use your shovel!" out to them. Even if they were so scared they could only shove the walkers backwards, it would felt safer to them to use a shovel to do that.

What you might not realize because of the intercutting is that Carter's impromptu meeting to overthrow Rick comes right after that. I could see in Carter's eyes his animosity for Rick for not stepping up to help them, and I didn't blame Carter a bit. He wasn't misreading Rick's behavior.

I also have to do a second watch with CC for Fear the Walking Dead. It's just part of my routine now. I don't do it on the first watches because I don't want to miss out on the complete experience of the visuals.

6. Blueman

Blueman Well-Known Member

For me, I have to listen very carefully to the dialogue because English is not my native language.

Frankly, I am a little surprised that you native speakers still have some difficulty to catch all the dialogue. I always thought that native speakers can follow the dialogue despite the poor audio.

I have only watched it once. I will have to rewatch but from memory, I think Rick said , ''Morgan, no!'' as well, especially judging by the context at that moment.

7. Obidonwan

Obidonwan New Member

I am like Stuartino (we are both older TWD fans who still live with our parents) but we could probably teach you youngsters a thing or two about comics and television history. As far as volume, my folks are old facists who dont understand TWD so I just always crank up the volume when my show comes on. My advice Stuartino is to crank it up like an old rock concert:). Rock on bro. rock on

8. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

He says neither 'No' nor 'Go'. He says "Morgan, Don't". I hear "don't" pretty clearly on my TV, and the CC also says "don't".

9. Stuartino

Stuartino Member

OMG! Go, No, Don't! How funny is that! [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I am relieved that its not just me. I think either No or don't, fit much better than Go! Perhaps they us an auto captioning program and it can't hear either!
    [/FONT]
    The scene with Eugene overhearing Carter, was inaudible to me, but the captions flashed up what was being said. I guess it wasn't really necessary as you get the gist of it.

Obidonwan I don't live with my parents! Yikes, that is a scarier thought that TWD will ever be. Although my mum watches it and loves it she's in her 70's. I do have to wait until my lovely wife is not watching as she hates zombies and loud TV.

10. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

I also hear "Morgan, don't"

I have always had a difficult time to hear some of the dialogue in TWD. I solved that problem, I bought a sound bar and the quality of and ability to understand dialogue has improved a great deal

11. GenericUserName

GenericUserName New Member

I watch TWD on my PC with headphones. It's generally fine. The only person that is tough to make out is Daryl at times. I recall one scene when they took Bob out on the run to get medicine, bob was talking to Daryl about not belonging and Daryl response was something along the lines of "that's bull" but I couldn't quite figure out what he said. I understood the intended meaning so it didn't really matter. I must say thankfully I have good hearing, but I can sympathize with those who don't, especially with show.

12. JEA13

JEA13 Well-Known Member

Oh no! (or Oh go! or Oh Dont! ) . Do I have to watch the episode again to find out what he says? Will someone please give me the definitive answer. I am sooo confused. I was confused at time of watching why Morgan said afterwards to Rick that Rick had said he didnt take chances.

13. HondaS2kXD

HondaS2kXD Well-Known Member

he said "Don't." Don't trust subtitles. The subtitles for top gear on Netflix are particularly bad. One time Rich Hammond said "SLS-AMG," but the subtitles said," "That's an S...MG."

14. Pogo the Possum

Pogo the Possum Active Member

Rick said, "Morgan, HO !" ...like those old westerns.

( Heh ... I actually heard, "Morgan ! Don't !" the 1st time ).

I've got 60 yo musician ears, and have to be considerate of others close by; so have CC on all the time.

Sometimes, Carol is pretty much inaudible ( appropriately so ); so anything helps.

15. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

Yep. Both dialog and closed captioning say the same thing: "Morgan, don't!" It's at 55 minutes in on the DVR.

16. JEA13

JEA13 Well-Known Member

I thought he said More gun Ho . I was wondering who is he calling a Ho . No one has even started shooting yet.

17. kennyisalive94

kennyisalive94 Well-Known Member

He obviously said Morgan f*ck me.