Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Motherboard opinions

Discussion in 'Creative Art' started by 12Gauge, Jan 2, 2014.

1. 12Gauge

12Gauge Active Member

All:
    I'm starting a new PC build soon and would like to gather opinions on your experiences with the usual suspects.

ASUS
    Gigabyte (my last build included this MOBO)
    MSI
    Intel

Appreciate any feedback. If it's any help, I'm wanting to go with an AMD processor in case one CPU works better with a particular manufacturer.

2. MrSmith317

MrSmith317 Active Member

To me MOBO's are a dime a dozen. Some have features that you won't find anywhere else and some just have too much crap. My soon to be build features a Gigabyte MOBO with 8 RAM slots. Try to keep your goals and budget in mind when shopping around. I'm keeping to last year's AMD FX x8 so I won't put out as much money but will have a relatively powerful machine.

P.S. I know this thread is a month old so if you've moved on it already post your build.

3. 12Gauge

12Gauge Active Member

Hello Mr. Smith,
    Thanks for the response.
    I've since then decided on a board. I went with ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0. There was a rebate of $20 that I couldn't pass up.

I need a PSU, a CPU, HDD, RAM, etc. I had to suspend build progress to pay some unforeseen auto-repair bills.

CPU is likely to be another AMD FX 8150 that I have in this machine already. It's laughed at everything I've thrown at it. I believe this is last year's processor, so I'm curious to see what price range it's at now.

4. Kyo

Kyo New Member

I know this is an older thread but wanted to share my opinion since I recently built a PC.

I'll never...ever buy another MSI product again. I went through 3 boards from them during my build, all having similar issues, and they were not the best to deal with when trying to replace the board, wouldn't pay for shipping to replace their broken products either and took forever just to send back replacements after receiving the ones I sent back.
    On top of that 2 of the last GPU's I bought from them...failed shortly after installing them.

Very disappointing exp...lol.

5. Cbcw76

Cbcw76 Member

We built 400, 600, 800 PCs a year. Every motherboard maker generates lemons. There are no guarantees of perfection. We favor the motherboards that make RMAs a breeze and pray that, if there are poor solder points or poorly glued-heat sinks, those are apparently early in the build process, not weeks/months later.

Then, there are feature issues. ASROCK routinely provides motherboards will a lot of SATA ports, which can be important if you're building home media servers where 6 or 8 HDDs can be handy. But they can also provide poorly assembled products.

ASUS provides a BIOS and software package that make basic-to-middle overclocking easy and safe, but provide lower features at a much higher price. MSI and GIGABYTE are somewhere in between.

My best counseling remains - test a unit for days and days in an open, easy to access space so repairs, cable connects/re-connects and perhaps re-do's are less of a pain than pretending builds are Perfect From The First Moment On.

We decide on Storage Needs primarily, but that's our market - servers, small business servers, media servers, NAS, RAIDs.

Next is the space options for the Case. If the case must be small, we make that the commanding option and see out the best storage options required. I can't wait for 24tb hard-drives to hit the $190 price.