Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

My reaction!

Discussion in 'Episode 412 - Still' started by Caryl, Mar 3, 2014.

1. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah spending more time on the character and using a growing relationship as a conduit to explore her character is the opposite of not knowing what to do with her.

2. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

The ending of a 24 episode arc and two other huge plotlines is quite a lot... combined with a clear intent to focus on each character which has been overwhelmingly good for me. Glenn has had the best scenes in ages, same for Daryl, Beth, Michonne, Carl, Rick, Hershel, Carol, and more. It's being kept until the end because it's going to be the big moment this season. They could show their group first but it makes little sense from a story point to use that early.

My points on michonne are above.

3. Caryl

Caryl Member

It doesn't feel like a natural progression. It feels contrived to me. I think they saw how bad all her silent scowling came across then went too far the other way with her smiling every second and being silly with the crazy cheese. And her "big reveal" to Carl about her son wasn't a reveal at all because we already knew about it from the dream sequence. The first time she really opened up about her past had all the air sucked out of it. That should have been handled better.

They're doing better with her than they did with Andrea and Lori but it still feels awkward. To be fair Lori was a horrible character in the comics. Typical naggy weak woman. They just didn't change her much in the TV show. The actress who played her was really good I will say. Can't blame her for acting the script she's given.

4. Caryl

Caryl Member

It's being kept until the end because it's the best they have this season. There has been plenty of time to have one or two additional big stories this season. Instead they bring everything to a halt every other episode in the name of "character development". My huge problem and what Still illustrated so perfectly is that they don't know how to move the plot along and develop the characters at the same time. It makes for a frustrating season in which the episodes don't flow well.

5. Brooklynn

Brooklynn Member

Somehow that doesn't surprise me...

Michonne started opening up even during Season 3, especially in "Clear". This has been natural and gradual. They didn't go too far the other way since she started smiling last season. I'm not going to even bother arguing this point any further. I think Scott has done great with Michonne and you don't. Agree to disagree.

6. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

Well duh. That's basically what I said. You don't do that arc first when it is supposed to be building. I just don't agree that this episode didn't move the plot forward. Yes it was slower (I don't recall that being a flaw) but it was incredibly important to Daryl and beth. They are moving and unless you think they don't play a big part later then that moved the plot forward. There are 2 extremely important points that were pretty blatantly hinted at this episode too. (I won't say what for sake of comic knowledge).

I just don't find it frustrating. They have separate stories now that are mostly removed form each other and the show reflects that. When they are together they will be shown together. Unless you'd prefer they throw in a big realization at the end from another group when it has no place to check big plot movement off their box. That is much worse for flow than giving everything it's due, Too Far Gone is arguably one of the most important episodes of the series and the new arcs are getting in place. No good show blows it all so easily.

7. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

it took her 7 months to even get close to it and it's only with Carl due to her connection. Rick and Daryl are close to her but other than that nothing.

8. Caryl

Caryl Member

If you had read my post carefully you wouldn't feel the need to respond with something like "duh". If we can't have a respectful debate or disagreement then I won't have one at all. I haven't insulted your opinions even though I disagree with them and I'd appreciate the same in return.

I never said to do "that one arc first". There are plenty of episodes in which to do multiple plot arcs. They have one this season when they could have easily fit in at least one more and developed the characters. At the same time! And the one has been unresolved for eight episodes with no closure in sight. We know they have to cram it in the last quarter because they have no other choice.

The beginning of season 4 drug out the flu story way too long. One episode was used for Hershel's swan song, two for the Governor's, meanwhile we've had 4 episodes since the midseason premier in which the plot is still at a stand still being sacrificed for character development because they can't figure out how to do both at the same time. It seems like these last four episodes are going to be really good.....because they have no choice but to actually put content in them. They've wasted too many on needless filler under the guise of "character development".

• Like Like x 1
  9. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

I shouldn't said duh but you basically just repeated what you said and it irked me. my bad still. I apologize.

Every episode of the illness arc (only 5 and one of them was totally removed from the prison and carol focused) was very fast paced. The arc easily had enough potential to last much longer. I just don't get your idea of filler. I don't think we can ever agree because of that. Hershel's "swan song" wasn't enough of an episode? How could anything from that be considered filler? The prison was practically annihilated that episode. They are doing other stories. After alone is more important to the arcs of the two main characters than pretty much anything else. Carl is fully fledged now and that is massive for the story.The gov. episodes were his entire seasons worth of story in 2 episodes. if anything they moved too fast in Deadweight. The main character moving in and of course destroying the prison is filler? I'm jsut glad they were bold enough to leave him out until the right time. The plot can't be argued to be at a standstill for 4 episodes either imo. The characters are what this show is about and every group shown in this backhalf has had major developments. That's the "plot".

We just can't agree on filler and I don't think out debate will go anywhere. I think it's time to call it an end soon.

#149 legendx66, Mar 5, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  10. Caryl

Caryl Member

Thanks and no hard feelings. At least this thread can serve as an example of how people can disagree but still have a constructive conversation for the most part. :)

11. Alina

Alina Well-Known Member

I think also some people need to realise that "more lines of dialogue" or more scenes on screen does not equal "character development". Just because someone is talking doesn't mean we're learning anything new or that there is any forward movement.

12. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

You'll miss the "filler" when this thing puts us into an emotional coma in a month! :p
    Agreed. We disagree. Don't have to fight it out.

13. Caryl

Caryl Member

LOL!! As is evidenced the longer the debates went on in this thread! :hatchet: :Grin:

14. SFA

SFA Well-Known Member

You're breaking my heart. There was plenty of forward movement. That was one of the main points.

15. Alina

Alina Well-Known Member

I wasn't even necessarily referring to Still, just making a general point. There was a lot of emotional forward movement in Still for the characters but not much forward movement when it came to the story, which did frustrate me.

16. Alec96

Alec96 Well-Known Member

I'm waiting to fully judge Still. I thought it was a great bottle episode, but if the overall story feels rushed at the end of the season, then I can come back and put blame on this one.

17. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

I chalk up some of the problems with poor character development to Season 3 Mazzara. To his credit I thought he did a decent job in Season 2. My guess is that they got so caught up in the Rick vs the Governor storyline that other characters suffered. And it just wasn't the female leads. Glenn drifted away a bit after the first half of Season 3. I thought they could've better developed the prisoners. That was actually an interesting storyline in the comics.

What I think is amazing though is that there has been as much continuity as we've had with three show runner changes in 4 seasons. That probably has to do with Kirkman's input, along with the other creative talent.

My guess is that we get some action on the Carol-Tyreese storyline along with the Lizzie stuff. Some people will reunite. The Bandits Rick saw a couple of episodes ago I think will play a part in this season. Then the next big challenge from the comics will be saved for 5A. That's one I'm really looking forward to.

18. Gaycandybacon

Gaycandybacon Well-Known Member

All I have to say is I would rather have this episode than not knowing what has happened between Beth and Daryl than them just reuniting with the main group and just leave it at that. Probably not the best duo the fans wanted to see, but at least they showed us what they've been up to. That's really all I wanted to see tbh. People wanted half an episode of this. Then half an episode of another group. And I agree it might of spiced up the sode a bit. But I like stand alone episodes like this. Rather than moving back and forth in-between groups.

We've never seen Beth/Daryl open up like this in a long while. Beth is barely shown for 2 seasons and then she gets a whole episode and people are like "derp still no character progression!". What the hell else would you rather them do? XD What would satisfy you as the viewer and be like yes that's what I wanted to see out of their characters? Sometimes peoples expectations are to high.

#158 Gaycandybacon, Mar 6, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  19. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

In contrast, I really enjoyed the episode. Beth wasn't going on a beer run, she was grieving for the loss of her father! On killing walkers? She had the sense to distract a large group of walkers in the woods, which is more than we usually see people do, and killed a couple with a broken bottle for pete's sake! that's more than most men on the show can do. Liability my rump.

On Daryl: I agree about not tolerating violence towards women! BUT, as a believable scene? It worked for me, and while violent, he wasn't *threatening* her, he was treating her like she was nothing -- just what I'd expect someone with his background (father and Merle) to do! It also showed that Daryl was at his breaking point, and the scene and episode showed that he turned around and came back, so that's good.

I wouldn't give him any more alcohol though if I was Beth, who knows? He might turn out to be an abuser.

What was enlightening is that the two of them from very different backgrounds and neither of which being good at communicating with others made a human connection. That to me was worth the episode. I thought the whole hour was good, and couldn't wait for it to keep going, as opposed to the Michonne and Carl episode that was only a half hour but seemed to take days to suffer through.

On the flipping off, it was a continuation of Daryl burning down the house, and symbolically burning and flipping off his past life and self. He's taking a chance with Beth and trying to remain a man in society, and not a snake-killing loner. Might not be your cup of tea, but again, it worked for me.

On your last line, I figure that was your way of saying your whole post was a troll, as no one could dislike such a great episode! :)

20. jj_vsp

jj_vsp Well-Known Member

This pretty much shares my thoughts as well...

Some of the forum group were predicting an explosion on the boards for the Beth/Daryl romance/shipping, who dies, etc. speculation after 'Still' aired. Looks like the detonation has happened. LOL

#160 jj_vsp, Mar 7, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2014