Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

My thoughts

Discussion in 'Episode 412 - Still' started by joedini, Mar 3, 2014.

1. joedini

joedini New Member

Hi, newbie here! Got to say that I'm impressed by the sheer number of separate topics per episode, I was expecting one thread per episode so this was a surprise! I think my working days will be spent here for quite some time.

Anyway my thoughts on the latest episode are here http://www.idiotbox.co.uk/walking-dead-review-still/ and I would love to know whether you guys agree or not. To sum up I liked the episode well enough but I'm having real issues with the show since the break mainly in pacing, it feels like we are going nowhere fast and that thought dragged this one down for me despite some intense performances from Reedus and Kinney (who I thought were superb throughout).

2. Shane#22

Shane#22 Well-Known Member

3. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

Double no.

4. SFA

SFA Well-Known Member

Not clicking link. Not sure?

5. joedini

joedini New Member

I'm sorry?

6. joedini

joedini New Member

It's not spam! I'll just copy and paste it here instead :)

I feel this review is going to come across as unfairly negative, true the episode did highlight a number of things that I find to be wrong with ‘The Walking Dead’ at the moment and it was at times frustratingly slow but what redeemed things here was how well the writers did at putting Daryl and Beth in the spotlight. Ok, so about that slow comment, well it was wasn’t it? The crux of this was all about Beth having enough of Daryl’s mood and heading off to have her first alcoholic drink, seriously. And for quite a lot of this it was as eye rollingly mundane as that sounds, now I get it I really do, it’s a coming of age in a sense in a way that it acceptable in this world but the show is so much more than this. And this if any exemplifies my issue of this idea of cutting people out of episodes is a bad one, I’m sick of getting such slow story progression because we are following a small group at a time. This show isn’t a full 22 episode a season show, the time we get with these characters is limited so it is incredibly irritating to have all these major players cut out so often; and I know I sound like a broken record but the show is suffering for me because of it.

But as I say there was good here and it was fantastic to get to know Daryl and Beth a little more, despite the slow pace. First off ‘Lost’ was around before the apocalypse and Kate and Sawyer showed that the ‘I have never’ game does not end well, and here it really escalated things between the two of them with Norman Reedus and Emily Kinney displaying some of the finest acting we’ve seen in the show to date. Seeing Daryl complete lose it at Beth was pretty terrifying and it was a distinct look at not only the man he may have been but also the man he could quite easily have become had he not met the people he had, and the subsequent break down was moving with a superb Beth holding her own and making him talk about what was on his mind. And in traditional TV fashion Daryl is being affected by guilt in that he feels he should have done something more to stop the Governor, well that makes no sense whatsoever but survivors guilt is a funny thing so that’s forgivable.

It’s clear now that Daryl is a guy that has been abandoned a lot and doesn’t want to go through it anymore, so with that in mind Beth saying that he will be ‘the last man standing’ must have been a horrible thought for him despite the fact that she would have meant it in a way that was to make him feel powerful, the look he gave said it all and it’s good they didn’t try to make that more obvious by having him explain how he felt as the moment was perfect as it was. The two sides of these two make them a very compelling couple and the matching is something that brings out new sides to each, and by the end of this week they are arguably better characters too with Beth being much more self assured and Daryl seemingly coming to a degree of acceptance with who he is and what happened, if anything these two now seem more like a unit than the others, well I say that but we have barely seen half of them; Maggie may have become General to an army and Lizzie may have figured out how to control the dead in all this time. I loved the symbol of the two of them burning the house down at the end, clearly much more aimed at Daryl who in that moment was essentially burning away everything from his past that he hated but they both go something from it and that one finger salute was a great touch.

While we got a little less of the horror side of things that normal there was still some fine stuff on display here, that scene of the two of them in the boot of the car was pretty disturbing and there’s nothing quite like a game of golf in the zombie apocalypse, Daryl sure has a swing on him. And by the way I love how much Daryl loathes peach schnapps, of course he does and to give Beth moonshine as her first drink, well I wish Daryl was around to take me for my first drink! By the way nice touch in finally revealing what Daryl did before the world went to hell, nothing, it makes sense for this to be the case. On a similar note it was great that we saw some acceptance from Beth that she will not survive in this world, see there were so many brilliant character moments between these two but the episode still felt lacking for me, I still wanted more from it and that reason is down to the fact there were only two people in the whole thing. I said it last week that the Walking Dead is at its best when it plays up to the fact it is an ensemble show, the two Governor episodes didn’t really work for me and the episodes since the break and have been getting more underwhelming. If this one had had even one other storyline running alongside it this could have been a belter of an episode, as such it is one that was nice enough and underwhelming; I feel this second half of season 4 will be a much better watch when the season has completed and they can be watched in one sitting as individually they just aren’t working as well as the show has in the past. Was this particular idea one of the ones that former show runner Glen Mazarra left over?

That's the bulk of it! Sorry, first time poster posting a link. Didn't think how spam like it looked!