Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

"Nebraska" - love it or hate it?

Discussion in 'Episode 208 - Nebraska' started by azinazelle, Feb 12, 2012.

1. SVTRay

SVTRay Active Member

Yeah, one more person laid up in bed for the rest of the season...

2. shannon28

shannon28 Member

The olive oyl jab made the entire episode for me. Goodness I can't stand that selfish, stupid woman.
    It's awesome to see Rick make the decision to trust his judgement instead of trying to see the good in everyone. I love Rene from true blood, but listening to him talk gave me that slimy feeling in my gut.

3. slw2082

slw2082 Well-Known Member

She didn't really ask Daryl, she told him "I need you to go get Rick." Then called him selfish when he refused. I think it is some nerve and pretty selfish to tell Daryl he needs to go when there was no reason for it. Also after what happened last time with Glenn and Maggie you think she would think twice before sending someone else.

4. Fibber

Fibber Member

I loved it.It developed the characters further but seemed to stay within the bounds of what is reasonable. I had been asking myself the questions about Rick's leadership and why he had emerged straight away as the leader. Why had Shane simply accepted becoming second in command when he had been dominant within the group? Why did the other's simply allow Rick to lead? The Bar illustrated what Shane his old friend must have know and what the others must have sensed, that when Rick turned to violence it was cold, for a clear purpose and lethal, whilst Shane was hot and volatile reacting rather than thinking, however lethal but potentially dangerous to the group. I mean yes the workers in the barn had to be sorted out but was all the Gunfire so close to the Freeway and a possible swarm of walkers wise? What if the walkers in the Barn had just charged en mass? Rick would have done it quietly with a plan, without the terrible psychological consequences to the Family members. He did still in the end accepted responsibility for for finishing Sophia (one extra shot by then was irrelevant).

5. Duzy

Duzy Active Member

TO answer the question... I loved it. Gonna watch it again in a couple of hours.

6. STRINGS

STRINGS Well-Known Member

Yeah, the olive oyl jab was straight out of the Tucker Max school of insults...loved it! Nothing better than to shoot down
    over-bearing peeps like Lori with a verbal punch or three!! :shining:

7. marsyao

marsyao Member

The confrontation in the bar makes me recall the incident about governor's group, they also lived in a farm, and a group of drug addict motorcycle gang wanted to take over the farm and killed them, governor's brother confront those arm-to-teeth bad guys with an empty shot gun, they lost that poor Penny in that fight.

8. Zambi

Zambi Active Member

Then he did his character quite well. :)

9. shannon28

shannon28 Member

I think it's his gift to the world. He did the same on true blood.

10. Maggie

Maggie Member

Oh yes..... loved him as Renee.....

11. ldncalling

ldncalling Member

I enjoyed this episode - slower than expected (but not a criticism as I haven't a problem with the 'slow' episodes as I think they are important), I also don't mind them still being on the farm.

Obviously I liked the Olive Oyl jab (who wouldn't?) as I think there hasn't been enough of Daryl's witticism lately. I also liked the fact that they didn't have a big 'funeral'/ memorial scene - but still saw enough which showed the growing divisions within the group, e.g. both Daryl & Shane standing on their own, everyone going in different directions afterwards. It's a pity they had to show Lori being...well, Lori yet again - I can understand why she felt the need for someone to follow Rick as it became more urgent but not why Daryl and then why her? Especially as she makes such a song and dance about Rick leaving Carl so instead she leaves him without either parent.

12. Felicia

Felicia Active Member

I always feel that way at the end. Every single time at the end of the hour I cannot get over it that the hour is already over and I have to wait to find out what happens next. sheesh.

13. Felicia

Felicia Active Member

I have to admit I am liking this side of Andrea much more than season 1. She picked that arm up and slogged it in the back of the truck like it was all yesterday's business.

14. Felicia

Felicia Active Member

You made me spit my diet pepsi laughing.

15. Hawaiian Shirt Zombie

Hawaiian Shirt Zombie Active Member

I loved the ep but there is one really silly little thing that bothered me. When Lori leaves she puts on that big 'ol ugly jacket. Was the jacket supposed to tell viewers that it's no longer summer and getting cooler? I just don't understand the jacket and what's more, why it caught my attention and annoyed me so damn much! Silly, I know.

16. The Governor

The Governor Member

Ok, I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed that ugly jacket.

17. slw2082

slw2082 Well-Known Member

That bothered me too especially since the window in the car she is driving on the driver side is open!!

18. Katr

Katr Member

Yes, I thought that was strange since pretty much everyone has been sweating bullets in the previous (not too long ago episodes). Boom, apparently fall has arrived!

Perhaps Herschel's farm has magickal properties of speeding up time. Carl was up and around pretty darn quick after a gun shot to the gut.

19. Greyone

Greyone Member

A trick writers sometimes employ to determine if a possible scene/plot vehicle/character introduction makes sense is to switch POVs. That is, if the story was about Tony and Dave, two goombahs who just happened to make it out of Philly following the ZA and traveled south, would their reception (and their behaviour) in the bar be plausible. I submit that no matter how we look at, the scene is idiotic. As though the writers are sitting there and one decides "hey, let's have some new guys show up and have Rick shoot them". Other writer, "Okay, why?" W1, "To show Rick is a badass who can do the tough thing." W2, "Okay- how do we set that up?"

"Well, Rick goes to town and meets them."

"Why does Rick go to town?"

"Uhhh, to get Herschel."

"Why is Herschel in town?"

"Ummm, to get drunk at the bar."

"Wha...wha...what???"

That scene is just too lazy for the show. They could have reached the SAME conclusion with a much more plausible story line. I still don't see why Rick shot the first two FELLOW SURVIVORS they've come across since practically the beginning when their numbers are 13.5 with almost half being too weak or dumb to be given a weapon. And before someone yells "they pulled their guns first!" DO think about it from the other side. A man (who doesn't even seem all too surprised to see you there- maybe he comes across other humans frequently?) is sitting there obviously making judgements against you judging by his tone and demeanor. He tells you there's no place for you and yours on his farm- too crowded? He's sending you back into zombieland- a likely death sentence- with no explanation.

Again, the writers were lazy in crafting this scene- they just wanted to get to the part where Rick shoots the two and logic and sense be damned. There's no way these guys are still wearing gold chains. No way fatso (still wearing Philly street clothes) is thinking of "cooch". No way these two, if as dumb and unskilled as the scene makes them out to be, even get to this point. The remark about Dave's gun coming off a cop as if where a weapon came from during the ZA matters: pointless. Glenn's disgust at another guy urinating on the floor instead of going off in the dark of the deserted bar to find the non-working toilet in a bathroom possibly filled with zombies: stupid. Rick and Herschel NEVER cracking a smile at two LIVING humans walking in the door after they just had a long talk about hope: beyond belief.

I think this premise of this show is excellent but I'd like to see the writers work a little harder.

20. Walker97

Walker97 Active Member

I am not sure why the set up of Herschel being a former drinker and quit when he had kids, got more religious...his dad used to drink, after the day he had, he could revert to drinking...he gave up hope...

I thought the scene with the two guys went down hill a little faster than I think may be natural, but it is what it is...would you prefer 6 more episodes of searching for Sophia in the woods? I mean, it's a zombie apocalypse...there is a certain amount of plausibility you throw out the window and just enjoy the ride...