Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

"Nebraska" - love it or hate it?

Discussion in 'Episode 208 - Nebraska' started by azinazelle, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Syphon

Syphon Member

You would've been to one to get shot by Dave. Fact of the matter is, the two were up to no good. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out. Had they been less suspicious, Rick would have probably reconsidered.

As for the scene being idiotic, "I submit" that there were good reasons for Herschel going to the bar and Rick going after him. Were you not paying attention to the episode lol?

2. STRINGS

STRINGS Well-Known Member

They should nickname Andrea, "The Reaper" , after she killed the now late Mrs. Green w/that scythe...:shining:

3. Greyone

Greyone Member

Syphon, there's a "good" reason (actually, you said reasonS-plural) to go to the zombie filled town, sit at the bar and have a drink???? Because you just had an epiphany? You JUST realized your dead wife was really dead? C'mon, man? People deal with horrific circumstances everyday. Think of war. If a soldier witnesses a battle buddy get blown apart by an IED you think that's "good" reason for him to wander into town and sit down at an Afghan coffee bar? Do we hear of that happening very often?

And there's justification for Rick to follow the above veterinarian-who-plays-doctor, but who has NO equipment to speak of and so at this point is pretty much useless besides telling them to get off his farm, and who, by missing, is demonstrating he has also has NO sense into Zombie town.

Okay. If you believe so...

4. Greyone

Greyone Member

Walker97, I do have to agree with that. That's an honest assessment: it is what it is and we do have to give up a little to be entertained. I just don't want to have to put my brain on the shelf to watch this show- particularly when it COULD be so much more.

I like Superman. I don't believe a man can fly in real life but okay: you set up the story and tell me this man is from the planet Krypton and he he can fly- I accept that premise. So if, after days of you showing me this man flying all around saving the day, Lois Lane calls for help and he whistles for a cab I'm going to go "Whaaaaat? I though you said this guy can fly? Why's he need a cab?"

This is what TWD does and it makes the rest of the story fall apart. I just can't get over Superman needing that cab ride to the crime scene.

5. Zambi

Zambi Active Member

She's starting to prove herself to be far more useful than doing the laundry.

6. Maggie

Maggie Member

Yup - and former alchoholics that were faced with a complete destruction of hope sometimes find any excuse to jump back into the bottle.

I think Hershel's trip into the bar was a passive attempt at suicide. He packed up all his dead wife's things, put things in order, and then went to find a bottle to climb into. He speaks to Rick in the bar of how there is no hope, and why should he try. He, in effect, gave up and did not care anymore what happened to him. So, yeah. I can see why he felt that a trip to a zombie bar was in order. Rick and Glenn finally convince him to climb back onto the survival train, and the two dudes come in.

As for the dudes - they came across as bad from the beginning. They might as well have had a sign flashing above their heads that they were the rape gang from Steven King's The Stand. I agree the writers seem to have gotten a bit lazy... the whole scene seemed a bit crafted... but that said it made for an awesome Rick the Cop moment, which I'm sure was their entire intent.

I do declare that a "holy shit!" came out of my mouth when Rick dropped them both.

7. Greyone

Greyone Member

Maggie, I can buy that- the Herschel suicide scenario. But he also had access to a gun. Maybe he just wanted to get drunk one last time...?

8. Duzy

Duzy Active Member

She said a passive attempt. Ever hear of suicide by cop? There are people, for what ever reason, can not "pull the trigger" themselves. These people tend to be deeply religious as Hershel was. I saw it more as he just didn't give a rats ass and gave up.

9. Hawaiian Shirt Zombie

Hawaiian Shirt Zombie Active Member

@ Greyone.

There are six previous pages of well thought-out, logical arguments that run counter to your opinion and for the most part, I agree with all of them. Your assessment
    is valid but inaccurate in my opinion. Rick, having a pregnant wife and son back at the camp would be foolish to allow two confrontational strangers, and they’re unseen friends, access to their farm, supplies, women, weapons, and ultimately lives, no matter how badly he may feel the need to establish some kind of larger society. The rule of law has clearly devolved into something akin to the Wild West and Rick and Hershel suddenly realize this fact. The producer’s choice of music at the end of the episode underscores this beautifully.

I respectfully disagree that the writing was lazy. I thought it was not only very well done but also extremely provocative for the very reasons you state. They WERE the first survivors they’ve seen in quite some time. They COULD have been sincerely desperate. BUT Dave and Fatty said all the wrong things and treated their new would-be friends very disrespectfully—Not a good idea if you want assistance from someone. Ultimately they HAD TO BE killed because they were a clear and present danger to Rick and everything he cares for and sees as stable. That fact was established very quickly through the pair’s words, deeds and body language.

I would also add that the "much more plausible story line" that you would have preferred, by its very nature, is much more involved and drawn out, thus slowing down the plot which definitely runs opposed to what most of the fans, at least in these forums, want from this series. Personally, I would have LOVED to see half the episode or more revolve around the five men in the bar kicking it around and giving the viewers a better sense of the big picture of the ZA and answering the questions: What was their entire plight thus far? Why didn’t they stay with any of the other groups they said they encountered? What precipitated the constant moving from group to group? Why did they really want to settle down with Rick’s group? What made Rick’s group/camp/survival situation more desirable than the previous camps without even being seen? What happened to the survivors of the rest of the groups they encountered? What happened to the female(s) the fat man had sex with several weeks ago? What have they had to do to survive? Who did they do it to? And on and on and on…
    In the end, the way the episode was handled, every one of those questions got a strongly implied answer that satisfied this fan.

#69 Hawaiian Shirt Zombie, Feb 15, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  10. Greyone

Greyone Member

HSZ, I don't think we disagree all that much. Rick definitely needs to shoot these two, given the way they came to the party. I just don't think it made sense for them to come to the party that way. Not if they were smart enough to still be alive after all this time...

The most serious flaw I saw was Rick & Co's initial reaction when they see the newcomers walk in. (Remember- they open the door unannounced and unnoticed; they could have easily killed all three- or the two most likely to resist, wounded the third and made him give it up. The fact that they didn't actually quells much of the suppositions made as to their ill intent and should be noted. But I digress...) I remember once I was in Europe and I hadn't seen another American for nearly three days. When he and I ran across each other passersby would have thought we were long lost brothers when in reality we'd never met each other. But Rick and Glenn show IMMEDIATE caution. They don't rush to embrace, shake hands, or even smile. This is inplausible. Rick has been trying to get to Ft. Benning or some other refugee site- he has NO idea where these two just came in from. He not too long ago ran right up to Herschel carrying a bleeding child and didn't recieve that cool of a reception. For him to be immediately wary bordering on hostile was a mistake the writers made in their rush to establish Dave and Tony as ne're-do-wells. Once the situation was established, Rick did what he had to do and I appreciate him for it. Just as I appreciate Shane for his shoot first approach.

11. Felicia

Felicia Active Member

yah...makes sense he was commiting suicide by walker. I am sure he wouldn't be the first. He wouldn't even be the true character per the comic.

12. Hawaiian Shirt Zombie

Hawaiian Shirt Zombie Active Member

All very valid points that I simply cannot dispute my friend. I would have welcomed a more drawn out affair that slowly revealed the travelers malicious intents. I still think it worked very well the way they set it up, but yes, I cede your point, the writers did take the short route to get to the point. Let’s hope Dave and Tony were only the tip of the preverbal iceberg. J

13. spid77

spid77 Member

It was god awful.

14. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

....care to elaborate?

15. STRINGS

Maybe Lori was ripping some and needed the window down! Might also have been the key reason she ran into the zombie...to mask the smell some for when she picked up Rick, Glenn, & Hershel...:shining:

16. STRINGS

I didn't even think of the laundry...now that you mention it, her scythe skills might even come in very useful on laundry day!! :shining: