Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Negan and Kids

Discussion in 'Episode 1005 - What It Always Is' started by Dnae, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

I have been wrestling with this notion that, according to Negan, he does not kill kids.

Granted. He likes Judith. He at the very least empathizes with Lydia

But lets not forget that in season 7 finale he had Carl on his knees ready to bash in his head with Lucille. Seemingly Shiva is the only reason he did not follow through on his swing

And in season 6 Jesus mentioned a kid named Rory (?) that was executed in front of all of Hilltop when the Saviors first came upon Hilltop. If I am remembering correctly that was Negan who killed Rory - who Jesus stated was a "16 year old kid". Am I remembering that correctly? Was it Negan who killed Rory or might it have been Simon?????

So while I have tried to overlook the contradiction I just cannot. Negan has killed kids. And maybe post all out war Negan would not kill a kid but Negan cannot deny that, in his past apocalyptic life he has, in fact, killed a kid and was close to giving Carl the Lucille treatment.

I do love what Angela is doing with the series now. And granted she has had a helluva lot of course correcting on her plate. So I have held off on griping about this particular change in narrative. But to try and pass off that Negan has never and would never kill a kid is either asking too much of the audience based on previous seasons behaviors OR not giving the audience enough credit to remember Negan's past.

I needed to vent a little. I am normally okay with overlooking smallish errors in continuity from season to season. But this one is just too big.

So if anyone is game to talk me off this particular ledge......please do so. I want so badly for someone to offer me an alternative. If someone can give me believable reasons why my line of thinking is not following the events of previous seasons - please enlighten me!

2. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

I have thought the same thing. I really think that his change of heart has everything to do with how Carl impacted him.

Simple as that for me.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

I get that Carl impacted him

but it just bugs me that Negan is claiming to "not kill kids" when, in the past, he has. Honestly what bugs me is that we as an audience are being asked to just forget some of the stuff Negan did in past seasons.

UGH I wish I could allow it to be as simple for me.

My damned need to have all packages neatly packed, wrapped and donned with a pretty bow!!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

I keep trying to convince myself to just like the new Negan and I do....to a degree.

BUT I CANNOT LET IT GO...

And NO...no Frozen references. I have never seen the movie so I proclaim myself to be immune to all references to snowmen, freezing spells, catchy tunes, etc. :cool:

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

I think that wraps it in a pretty nice bow. It kinda seals his Carl arc. He didn’t say “I have never killed kids”. He said “I don’t kill kids’”. :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. NakedCity

NakedCity Well-Known Member

Yeah, and I think that the fact we know he was going to kill Carl adds to our relationship to the character. He claimed he doesn't do it, and I'm sure he believes himself (like we all do believe ourselves through everyday little lies), but he probably did, or would have if not for an improbable tiger.

Shows that he was probably honest when he was struggling to use Carl against Rick, but felt he had to go to these lengths. Shows how twisted the motherfucker is. I have no problem with it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. BlackBird

BlackBird Well-Known Member

I think this is a very important point, and something that might help putting your mind to rest, @Dnae.

1. What a character says about himself, is not necessarily the truth. The person might be lying on purpose, or simply lying to himself. I don't think these words from Negan are trying to retcon what happened in the show. What is actually happening with Negan is that he might be retconing what he did, so he could live with himself.

2. Saved by the Tiger Incident: I think he was at that point pushed too far and lost control, and he really needed to get back at Rick and he wasn't sure what he was going to do. He didn't want to kill Carl, but he was so angry, and wanted to hurt Rick. It was touch and go. Luckily the Tiger saved him from this moment of madness. My feeling is that he wouldn't have killed Carl, but we don't know. I wonder if there's any interview with Jeffrey when he talked about this scene?

3. I'm pretty sure the 16 year old kid was killed by Simon, not Negan. Well, you know, they were "all Negan" back then. But the Hilltop only had dealings with Simon. They never even knew about the Sanctuary or met Negan himself at that point.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

I can live with this!
    Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps
    (and now I want to go home and watch Coupling. The original, not the crappy US attempt at Coupling)

Hmmmm I am still on the fence about this one. 50/50

BUT you reason number 1 helps a great deal

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Yeah, in terms of Rory, I think Jesus just said "the saviors" or "Negan's men" did it. I don't think it was stated that Negan was present when he was picked as a victim.

And agree again, in terms of Carl, I think Negan's code of ethics sometimes becomes flexible when he is pushed to extreme situations. He obeys his own rules as long as he isn't operation on emotion. Probably pretty consistent with what we would expect from a man like him.

• Like Like x 3
  10. BlackBird

I think the key is that they used the term "Negan" for everyone, not just Negan himself. Jesus said they killed Rory in front of them. But then Jesus didn't know what the real Negan actually looked like, because he never met him. He only knew Simon.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Tigger

Tigger Active Member

Black Bird for the save once again.
    If memory serves, which it rarely does, Negan had a very serious conversation with Simon about his propensity for being too brutal with his lessons in particular killing all the men at Oceanside. This was the first time we heard "people are a resource".
    A Narcissist will always tell tales of themselves being the hero or the victim, never the villain.
    Yes! I'm so grateful for Ms Kang. Might it be that she is attempting to show us Negan's rebirth cuz we didn't really didn't get to see that while he sat in his cell?

• Like Like x 4
  12. BlackBird

This guy had the same problem as you @Dnae, and includes the clip from Jesus.
    Watch from 3:25.

This is not the writers messing up. This is Negan trying to convince himself that he was never going to kill Carl. And maybe he really wasn't.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

UGH, once upon a time I watched his videos but I stopped a few seasons back.

He really loves the sound of his own voice LOL

And I WANT you guys to give me sound reasons why I may not be seeing the forest for the trees! And you have. I do not want to be that person who is always crying "bad writing, bad writing" LOL

What is funny is that for the longest time I could not stand youtube videos by Trevschan. But around the season 8 mark or so I watched a few of his videos and changed my mind. I may not agree with him all the time but I do give him props for maintaining a fairly positive take on the show. He calls them out on points that he dislikes but he is never harsh nor rude.

#13 Dnae, Nov 6, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. BlackBird

:D:D:D

So true. I find Ronny hit and miss. I liked him in Season 7-8 when a lot of people were hating on the show and he was still positive on the parts that were actually good.

Trevschan? Worth checking out again? I thought he used to just basically recap, without any interpretations.

15. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Give him a second chance.

Although, bless, he tried so hard to stay positive about Fear but in the last half of the season he just gave up and accepted that it sucked LMAO

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Terminator

Terminator Well-Known Member

I thought pretty much as in the original post of this thread about Carl and the Hilltop kid (I think 16 is right). Maybe Negan doesn't see that age is still a "kid" especially in the ZA. Perhaps he's just referring to people more like 12 and under. Just a thought.

17. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

That stood out to me too when Negan said he didn't kill kids. I immediately thought of Carl's near death.

I think you can toss aside the Hilltop incident though and chalk that one up to Simon. He was the one always directly involved with Gregory.

The Carl situation is trickier. That scene angered me because I felt that Gimple had gone way too far. Negan would never do that to Carl.

Personally I can make the logical jump to say Negan didn't intend to kill Carl. I can put it aside as him having used it as a means to scare Rick (like with cutting off Carl's hand) because it's not within his character.

I can see why someone would have a problem with it, and it's really a result of Gimple's poor handling of Negan.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Thank you guys for all of your input!

It had become this "thing" that was removing me, somewhat, from the current story line with Negan.

I asked and you guys delivered:
    [​IMG]

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1