Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Negan Breaking Daryl

Discussion in 'Episode 703 - The Cell' started by Woodstock, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Woodstock

Woodstock Active Member

I was a little surprised that Negan didn't just threaten to kill off someone else from Alexandria in order to break Daryl. He seems to like going about it that way: killing Glenn because of Daryl's retaliation, forcing Rick to cut off Carl's hand (which was was ultimately made Rick "give in"). Surely Negan must realize that Daryl would rather die than side with him, but would that still be the case if Negan threatened to kill someone else from Alexandria? Even Daryl's last comment to Dwight confused me for that reason. He might not have a wife to protect like Dwight did, but Daryl would definitely sacrifice himself if he thought one of his "family" members was in danger.

2. jackson04

jackson04 Active Member

I know the comment from Daryl really threw me for a loop.

Doesn't he care about CAROL?!?!?!?!!?!?!

3. Expat-N-America

Expat-N-America Active Member

He doesn't want Daryl to sacrifice himself for someone else though, he wants him to be broken and work for him. He has already killed Glen because of Daryl, which didn't break him. Simply saying Negan will kill someone else if Daryl doesn't join him won't break him, it will make him angry and hate him even more.

He can't join the Saviours *because* he has too many people he loves as family. He needs to go back to them, and not dishonour the ones who died by joining the guy who killed his family.

4. ShaneFan

ShaneFan Well-Known Member

This! This is what I was thinking. Daryl wants to live to get back to his family. Plus, death is an easy way out. I'd imagine Daryl would want to return to Rick and the group so that he can fight against the Saviors.

5. Woodstock

Woodstock Active Member

I have no doubt about this either, but at the rate he's going, he's going to get himself killed. He would stand a better chance if he pretended to be on Negan's side and then went back (which of course would piss Negan off). In any case, if Negan has decided he wants Daryl he is never going to let him go back to the others. "Death being an easy way out" goes for Negan too though, if Daryl does not give in and Negan kills him, that's it, it's over. Negan won't have "won", because he wasn't able to break him, and that is what Negan really wants, which is why he pushed Rick to his limit by using Carl as leverage. It would be more sadistic for Negan to keep Daryl alive and threaten his loved ones, thus making Daryl suffer and therefore "punishing" him for not kneeling.

#5 Woodstock, Nov 7, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  6. Expat-N-America

Expat-N-America Active Member

I don't think that kind of duplicity is part of Daryl's personality. Carol can pull that off, but not Daryl. He's not sneaky like that, he's upfront and (hopefully) not willing to play those games. If they go that route, I'd be disappointed in his character writing. When the Governor had Daryl and Merle fight to the death, he got right in Merle's face, shouting at him, refusing to back down. He has a defiant nature, not a sneaky one.

7. ShaneFan

ShaneFan Well-Known Member

I agree with you that he should pretend to be on Negan's side if it would ensure his survival. Plus, it would open the door for him to get back to the group. Yes, I sense that too: that Negan will do whatever he can to keep Daryl his prisoner. 100% I'm with you when you said that he would rather be sadistic to Daryl, keep him alive, punish him for not kneeling, than to just kill him. Negan could've easily killed Carl, but he wanted to break Rick instead. When you think back to both scenes, it's scary to imagine how Negan broke in the rest of his group--I'm sure not all of them were willing submissive at first until he did something that broke their will and after that's done, he can control and manipulate them as he sees fit.

8. Woodstock

Woodstock Active Member

Good point there.

9. Woodstock

Woodstock Active Member

That is so true, but then I can't stop thinking that the dude that escaped (can't remember his name) had a point how can just one man subdue all those people? Negan isn't the only character who has tried to be in control in the series, there will always be someone who wants to "rule the world", but how DO they manage to get ahead like that? I guess they start by having a few people under their control and then that number just grows and grows til he has them all wrapped around his finger? Makes me think of The Wizard of Oz, once they finally get Negan under control (because I assume it will happen eventually) every one will break out in unison "Ding dong, Negan's dead", LOL!

10. Daryl Rocks

Daryl Rocks Well-Known Member

The problem with him being a double agent per say is that when he would be tested to kill or hurt his family he couldn't do it. You know Negan would make him do something to prove himself. He would rather die than do that. As Carol said "He has a code".