Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Negan's handshake style.

Discussion in 'Episode 807 - Time for After' started by Jen7, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

Who goes in for a handshake like that? Can you really blame Eugene for puckering up?

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Jag

Jag Well-Known Member

Wait until you watch TTD they have fun with that

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

Negan 100% did that intentionally. Lol

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

I used to work with a guy who did the limp fish handshake lol. He was also so soft spoken that you felt you needed to lean in towards him to hear what he was saying. But when you shook his hand, you were grasping a group of completely limp fingers.

A friend of mine who worked at NASA had a coworker who they nicknamed something like 'dead fish' because of his handshake. He also used to wear the same clothes several days in a row without washing them. One day they had a party, and he accidentally sat on a piece of cake. The next day, he showed up to work wearing the same pants, with the cake smear still stuck to them. And this was a fairly respected man at NASA.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

I will never understand the limp handshake. It's very awkward.

Lots of really really smart people are really socially awkward. But wow....this dude. LOL

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Blueman

Blueman Well-Known Member

My understanding is this:- Negan deliberately extends his hand in a 'superior' way, tricking Eugene to receive it with a 'subordinate' attitude. But just when Eugene begins to act as a slave going to kiss his master's hand, Negan immediately changes to a normal handshake. This is a very masterful manipulation, first making Eugene feeling like a slave and then lifting Eugene to being 'the 2nd most important man in the Sanctuary.' Comments like 'I am not offering this to many other people...this is mutual respect' will just make Eugene feels the importance and relevance of his being loyal to Negan. Eugene needs affirmation of his existence from other people and this is exactly what Negan feeds him. And Negan feeds him well at this crucial moment.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

Great post! After that scene I commented out loud about what a con man Negan is because he was laying it on so thick with Eugene, but that explanation of the handshake hadn’t occurred to me.

8. 8307c4

8307c4 Well-Known Member

Yeah it's true...
    I could see the scam when N said "I can see where you got confused"
    AS IF!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Rocky

Rocky Member

The Roman emperor Caligula was murdered by members of the Praetorian Guard after doing similar. He would extend his hand to be kissed, which was expected protocol, and then pull it away just before it was kissed. It was an insult and a slight, especially done to an officer in front of the lower ranks.

I'm almost thinking that this hints at how Negan will meet his end, not Rick fulfilling his promise but with Eugene growing a back bone and killing him.

• Like Like x 1