Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

New Group

Discussion in 'Episode 1013 - What We Become' started by bula412, Mar 23, 2020.

1. bula412

bula412 Well-Known Member

What do we think of this group that michonne will be joining? Is it the same group that Rick is a part of or will she just use them as a vessel to travel north? How did Rick's things get on the boat? Was he caught trying to escape? Is he even a prisoner or is he "paying off a debt?" What is the MO of the group that Rick is involved with? are they good guys or bad guys?

I think it would be cool if it were a military group trying to run an operation similar to army in World War Z (the book). For those that never read it, an army group basically combed the entire country wiping our hordes of the undead trying to restore society to previous times. I think it would be a cool angle to explore in TWD universe. Maybe Rick would be like an indentured servant to them. Forced to help them fight until his debt (saving his life) is paid off

• Like Like x 1
  2. Blueman

Blueman Well-Known Member

It looks like the group is in transit, moving an entire community to somewhere.

For each square block of people, I saw people surrounding it along on 4 perimeters, presumably for walker protection (instead of these people being moved along as prisoners).

My bet is, this huge group is going to where Rick is (or at least, in the right direction, so that Michonne and the 2 people will join them in the same journey, reaching Rick ultimately in the movies.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

You have to question the group's MO a little bit. They don't wait for people who are injured or otherwise start to fall behind? To me it is implied that Aiden and Bailey had already been part of the group, as they knew they wouldn't wait.

That kind of sounds like CRM's philosophy of the future is more important than the present. Perhaps this was a member of the CRM network that had to relocate for some reason? They do have helicopters and vehicles, but probably not nearly enough to transport the entire group.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Blueman

Yes, they probably were injured and could not move as fast, thus being left behind by the group. That huge group just cannot be tied down by a few slow walking people and they do not have enough manpower to spare behind to protect a slow walking group?

But on a brighter side, such a large moving group is going to have to leave behind a lot of tracks so that Michonne (though not as good a tracker as Daryl) can track and follow their path?

5. Neuropyramidal

Yeah, I feel like Helen Keller could follow that group. Hmm, I hadn't actually thought about her just following them. In my mind I was envisioning her just joining them. I felt like her killing her pets was kind of the symbol of that.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Tigger

Tigger Active Member

Someone has been reading Josephus. That group was moving like a Roman phalanx of cohorts. No long explanation needed. They have a specific destination , they cannot rely on foraging so provisions were prepared before the journey and carried. The whole group must move x miles per day therefore if someone falls behind.......

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. bula412

bula412 Well-Known Member

Besides not being able to slow down for a few people, with that many people in the group, there is a decent chance that a few people could be left behind and no one would notice. It's not like they are walking around and taking a census before shipping out. Either you are there to leave with the group or you are not

8. Neuropyramidal

Just at a quick crowd estimating scan, it looks to me like perhaps 300 or so people per formation, and there appears to be 6 formations. Maybe 2,000 people?

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. jiggeryqua

jiggeryqua Active Member

I averaged 15 people per side (and maybe slightly less front and back) in the hollow 'guard' squares around the main phalanxes (phalanxii?). I got nearly double your estimate by counting ten people in one of the inner blocks and using the space they occupied as a rough rule of thumb - with some allowance for baggage carts etc (I'm pretty sure I saw a puff of smoke or steam from the back block - might they have steam engines?)

At any rate, waaaay more people then our scrappy pals have ever mustered in one place.

10. Neuropyramidal

Possibly, although I think most people would have a social network of people that would notice if they were falling behind. Maybe those two were loners. You would think they would include a few extra wagon type things to carry people who fell sick or injured during the trip. If they managed to organize provisions for 2000 people, I would think they could have made that work as well. But...., still people can slip thru the cracks.

11. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

We can assume, at this point, we will never see this group again on the main show. Plus I do find it strange that there is a group that large just roaming the countryside with nobody ever seeing them before in the last 10 years.

I know the show needs to evolve and branch out. But there is something about knowing other groups, especially the CRM, are out there that makes everything our group has gone through seem well, underwhelming.

I know it will all be explained. But I just imagine this situation where Rick is taken by a very large, sophisticated group living a great life behind walls with a full military and functional government. Hes probably thinking "I thought we built something great, these bastards have helicopters and a military."

• Like Like x 1
  12. BlackBird

BlackBird Well-Known Member

Then he would add... “Though they rely on kidnapping their officers, ripping them away from their families... yeah: BASTARDS alright.” ;)

13. Blueman

The show did not indicate where that boat (with Michonne and the 3 other survivors) landed. I suppose, after landing, Michonne immediately began to move north towards New Jersey. It could easily have been a week at the least (or even longer) when Michonne met the 2 other new survivors. (During this period, nothing exciting happened except capturing 2 pet walkers.) She must be miles and miles away from ASZ/Hilltop/Oceanside area and must be in territory that has not been explored by any of the groups.
    If so, I do find it is believable to have such a large group (which might be formed by combining a number of different smaller communities) undetected in the last 10 years.

BTW, I wish to know the whereabout of the 3 survivors who went with Michonne on that boat.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Neuropyramidal

Yes, I have the same feeling. Part of what had made TWD kind of magical and intriguing in the past is the idea that the world is basically over, and the ragtag survivors that we have been slowly growing to love are all that we have left. That's how it is all over the world.

Now that we realize that very large organized networks of sophisticated communities are existing at the same time, it sort of takes a bit away from that. I felt the same way when they discovered the Commonwealth in the comics. I didn't really like that Kirkman made the Commonwealth quite so large.

On the other hand, if we want this story to progress, and come full circle, from a devastating apocalypse, to survival, to a rebuilding civilization phase, then I guess this is a way to do it. Everything changes, and I suppose we can't just have brute survival forever. But I do feel the same loss of that magic of the early seasons.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Neuropyramidal

Yeah, I imagine they just had differing agendas once they docked the boat. Michonne felt she had to continue north to find Rick, and the other 3 had a different idea. I very much doubt we will see them again, they were just a vehicle for the Virgil arc and a way to get the boat working again.

16. Miamicuse

Miamicuse Active Member

What if that big group of people had walkers around their entire perimeter? That they are doing the same thing Michonne was going? Having walkers buffering you?

17. Blueman

I do not read the comics and so I do not know how the Commonwealth arc progress. Anyway, I suppose TV drama can take a different route from the comics.

I fully agree with you and Chr1s about having such a large, organized community can take away what Rick has struggled so hard to build up. And I bet they know it too.
    So, I think, is it possible that this huge community (Commonwealth in the comics and the CRM in the TV) will suddenly and abruptly collapse, in a way similar and parallel to how the ZA started originally? Then, the story will, sort of, begin from square one. Of course, this time it will be different because survivors will now have a much better knowledge of the walker virus (which might also be evolved to another stage too).

• Like Like x 1
  18. Blueman

My brief glimpse of the trailer seems showing a square formation (ie a core) and then only a single file of 'people' on the perimeter along the 4 sides. If they are using walkers as buffers, I would think you need a thicker perimeter and it is just very hard to control that many walkers?

19. Neuropyramidal

That idea had crossed my mind too! The idea of using one of these large communities as a way to almost see the outbreak happen again. I hope that happens to at least some degree, but I have a feeling that the major direction we are going in is rebuilding and advancing in scope from now on.