Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Nick And The Morphine

Discussion in 'Episode 104 - Not Fade Away' started by Neuropyramidal, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

I figured that Nick's drug addiction would be largely cleared up by now and he'd be on his way to becoming the good guy. I think that this scene made his character even more interesting this episode. Hector probably would argue...

2. TheWalkingHorn

TheWalkingHorn Well-Known Member

Nick's story reminds me of my cousin Matthew. :(

3. Apollonia

Apollonia Well-Known Member

I am glad they did this. Nick portrays an addict perfectly. Stealing and lying to stay high. Glad they didn't give him a 'miracle' and pretend he's cured.

4. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Agreed, happy that they did not choose to go with the miracle recovery program

Speaking of addictions. In the first episode Maddie alluded that "it was in the genes". Considering we saw her, in tonights episode, having a few drinks when she was have extreme rough moments (lets face it all the moments are pretty much bad) - do you think she is the one who suffers from addiction? Just a thought

5. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

Pretty sure that is what she meant when bitch slapping her spawn and saying he had no idea?

Takes one to know one,thats all.

6. Neuropyramidal

I still think she was referring to Nick's father with the genes remark. Nick said 'what do you want me to say?', so I took her slapping him and saying "you have no idea?" to mean that she was infuriated with him for having no idea what to say.

7. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

Could be either or both for sure?
    I the screwing in the car scene she was drinking something other than alcohol I thought and got a judgy look on her face when Travis grabbed his bottle,but then after the slapping she was clearly pretty shaken and edgy and I think was slamming one down then.

Just a hunch though,who can tell as of now?

8. Neuropyramidal

I'm sure one day the answer will come out in the dialogue. Their father apparently died in an accident or something, so perhaps he was drinking or stoned and driving. Time will tell.

9. CSFurious

CSFurious Member

oh yes, it is in the genes and Maddie is definitely having one too many from the coffee mug

10. Bettie

Bettie Active Member

And in the end, I hope they show how his behavior will endanger their survival.

11. No.Pantaloons

No.Pantaloons Well-Known Member

It was kind of interesting Nick would refuse the oxy his mother was offering him. Maybe it was to get on her good side. But wouldn't an addict be aggressively hoarding all the drugs he can get his hands on - especially in the situation they are in where supply lines are almost non-existent?

12. Tara La Reine

Tara La Reine Member

Nick is a very wily, charming kid, but I'm not sure he thinks far ahead very well. He was after something, though. He's very manipulative, especially with his mom. It's a tribute to the actor that we don't all hate him.

They do talk about a previous experience of playing Monopoly while waiting for someone- obviously the dad- to come home. Frank Dillane said in an interview that Nick was 12 when his dad died, so it's been about seven years. Alicia would have been about 10.

#12 Tara La Reine, Sep 21, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  13. Neuropyramidal

I think it was so that his mother would drop her guard and stop watching him so closely. He wanted to make her think his addiction problem was over.

14. mtito914

mtito914 Active Member

Nick is a Junkie..Why would he be interested in that when he can mainline morphine .....He will lie and cheat for a great fix like that... The Military was right for taking his junkie ass away... No time for coddling a junkie during the ZA.. Eventually his junkie ways will lead to death and distruction.. If a ZA can't scare u straight, you are completely hopeless..

#14 mtito914, Sep 21, 2015
  15. JohnConnor

JohnConnor Member

I figured it was dumb to pass up the pill. Outside of the moral conflict of stealing morphine from a sick old man, he could've just exhausted the pills until he had no other choice. Why say no to one or the other when you can have both? Junkie logic is terrible though, so I agree with your analysis.

I also don't think Nick or anyone in the camp has experienced anything that apocalyptic yet. They live in the suburbs, fenced in, protected by the military. He was lounging in the pool, chillin all day in between his morphine runs next door. People may be dying in the streets a couple blocks over and LA may have fallen, but not to the Clarke household. Only until Nick getting knocked out and taken early the next morning did things seem dire. Now will he be scared straight.

#15 JohnConnor, Sep 21, 2015
  16. mtito914

mtito914 Active Member

Nick has seen plenty...just think about it.

He lives in a 6 inch junkie world....ear to ear... Maybe this will scare him straight, I don't know..
    I just hope this does not turn into a crusade by a mom trying to free her junkie kid..

#16 mtito914, Sep 21, 2015
  17. JohnConnor

JohnConnor Member

True.

I think it will, just not sure when or how. She broke out of the Safe Zone to investigate random light messages up the hill, so with her son's life on the line (no matter how much of a junkie he is) she would probably try to tempt fate again to get him back. The issue is that she still has Alicia so she can't just cut and run immediately.

18. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

I give her a pass on this one. She must have been really proud of Nick at the poolside, he looked like he had his act together, turned down the oxy, and when she caught him rooting through the guy's medicine cabineet, she had it slapped in her face once again that she was lying to her and that he didn't change at all, and he was even snotty about it. She finally snapped and slapped him, something she's probably wanted to do for years. Later on, she felt remorseful and decided to drown her sorrows. I don't think she'd need to be an addict herself to drink in that situation. Not the best coping mechanism, but not an uncommon one, either.

19. mtito914

mtito914 Active Member

Yup, unfortunately, your prob right. Did they ever mention any criteria for why and where they set up safe zones, because the area where the Clark's live is in east LA, which is densley populated and very crappy compared to west LA, Santa Monica area...

20. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

I think he wants his mother's approval, and lies to her to make her think he's a good son. He knows she isn't going to throw the methadone out, so it's not like it's going anywhere if he doesn't gobble it down now. Addicts are very manipulative.

And that scene with him lying under the bed? Priceless.