Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Nick, Ofelia and the United States/Mexico Border

Discussion in 'Episode 215 - North' started by BlackLightning, Oct 3, 2016.

1. BlackLightning

So....

Let's talk about the problems these two are facing at the border.

On one hand, Ofelia has now been captured by an somewhat genial American man with a big gun in what I think is the New Mexico/Mexico border.

On the other hand, on the California/Mexico border, Nick has led the people of the colonia out of the frying pan right into a ferocious grease fire.

What say you all?

2. Spidey

Spidey Active Member

They would have been under fire at Colonia as well, so it's not much different. At least it's possible they survived or those border shooters didn't want to kill them all. The supermarket gang would have killed them all 100% sure.

3. Znuts

Znuts Member

I find it pretty convenient that border patrol is still operating and "protecting" the border a month or two into the zombie apocalypse.

4. Felicia

Felicia Active Member

I am pretty sure they are not actually border patrol.

5. Znuts

Znuts Member

There are guys right now in real life that are not border patrol that are patrolling the border on the US side, so maybe it's a play on the guys who do that and are not affiliated with Border Patrol at all.

6. QuantumCurt

QuantumCurt Member

Apparently the Trump campaign has made it their post-apocalyptic objective to really secure the border and keep the Mexican walkers out.

7. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

Except that this takes place in 2010.

So Trump must have had a Premonition about this back then?
    Sure explains a lot too!

8. BlackLightning

The border shooters were chasing and still firing on the ones who ran. The people from the colonia are worse off because they have nowhere to go and they are being shot at in the middle of the streets. The colonia has been compromised so they can't just go back.

Besides, it is Nick's fault that the colonia was endangered in the first place. But don't get me started on Nick. His attitude made me very angry in the finale.

9. BlackLightning

Nah I don't think this has anything to do with Trump.

I think it has more to do with the fact that many Americans blame the Mexicans and other latinos for the zombie apocalypse. Maybe they are simply mistaken, maybe they are racist or maybe they are on to something. What if Mexico was the cradle of the apocalypse? What if patient zero came across the border (illegally or legally, it almost doesn't really matter) and started getting people sick?

10. Camilleyun

Camilleyun Well-Known Member

I think this depends on who these people really are. If they are the last of the real military, it would make sense that they are trying to secure the border, and nothing to do with blame or racism. You don't want large groups of people moving around willy-nilly during a pandemic. It's too soon to know given what we were shown - there's a helicopter, which I thought was military, and Nick mentioned a camp.

11. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Its not Nick's fault that Colonia was endangered. Alejandro prevented Nick from making his exchange at the Pelicano on time, which was what really triggered their anger. That's when they captured Francisco and tortured them to discover the location. Nick's original scuffle with them actually ended on good terms, with them agreeing to give Nick extra water.

12. BlackLightning

No. They weren't angry because they were late. By the time, Nick got to El Pelicano supermarket, they were gearing up for war. They were angry because they found out that Nick and the colonia had been giving them 50% fake oxy.

Remember Madison and Elena's run-in with the narcos in "A Pillar of Salt?" They were trying to find out the whereabouts of the colonia. Elena's son told her not to come back looking for him because he won't be there anymore. And the leader of the narcos told Madison to tell her son that he was going to castrate Nick the next time he sees him.

Which led to Madison panicking and turning on the hotel lights.

Nick's original scuffle with them was the beginning of the end. The colonia would've never attracted the attention that led to its downfall if it wasn't for Nick. Luciana and Alejandro both told him that he had compromised the communit.

13. BlackLightning

What about Ofelia? The guy who caught her wasn't an American soldier.

14. Neuropyramidal

No. They were mad because Nick didn't show up. They told that to Francisco. And Nick didn't show up because Alejandro prevented him from showing up on time. Did Marco also mention knowing about the half-oxy?

#14 Neuropyramidal, Oct 3, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  15. Camilleyun

Camilleyun Well-Known Member

I think the guy who caught Ofelia is operating on his own. It seemed like 2 different border crossing areas, but of course I could be wrong. For her sake, I hope he's not the type who keeps women chained up in his basement. :Grin:
    But like I said, we were shown just enough to make us curious, we have no idea who they are or what their motives may be.

16. Neuropyramidal

I was wondering if he is somehow affiliated with the guys who attacked Nick's group. And that's how Ofelia meets back up with them. Not sure. He may be on his own though, and maybe even turn out to be an okay guy.

17. BlackLightning

I don't know.

Nick, Luciana and the others were trying to cross over into California. Ofelia is trying to get back into New Mexico.

They could be affiliated groups. But...that's hundreds of miles in between them.

18. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Well-Known Member

I'm waiting for MSNBC to air that scene and claim that a right wing vigilante group opened fire on defenseless Latinos who were trying to cross the border. :dead:

19. BlackLightning

Are you sure?

Do you remember the young family that tried to leave the colonia in the opening of "A Pillar of Salt?" They were taken by the narcos who interrogated and then executed them?

The family of three left the colonia and were abducted BEFORE the trade was supposed to occur. Alejandro didn't forbid Nick and Ofelia from making the trade until after they found out that the family was missing.

Yes, Marco knew about the half-oxy. He was practically foaming at the mouth during the interrogation scene that Madison interrupted. They were upset that Nick didn't show up on time. But they were more upset about the fact that they had been hoodwinked. That's why they wanted to find out where they were.

When Nick came to El Pelicano, Marco was in a good mood because he had made another deal to secure their people and get some real drugs.

20. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Well-Known Member

Like @Camilleyun said, that older man's not an American soldier. Neither, IMO, was the group that opened fire on Nick's group of civilians (without warning). In reality, a lot of "minutemen" border patrol groups are veterans who report or detain illegals trying to cross the border. While the older man apparently has a conscience, the group obviously has a shoot first ask questions later mentality.

#20 Rapscallion, Oct 3, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2016