Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

No backstory on Joclyn becoming "Joclyn"?

Discussion in 'Episode 914 - Scars' started by Ubiq, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Ubiq

Ubiq Active Member

This was the only thing that bugs me. Just what led to her using the children?

2. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

I think that's sort of beside the point. While it could definitely be an interesting story on its own, Joclyn is more or less a plot device. Filling in these sorts of blanks might be better left to the imagination.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. cycles

cycles Member

It bugged me too. Her motives were unclear and her actions were uneccesarily reckless.

#3 cycles, Mar 18, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  4. mistertrouble189

mistertrouble189 Well-Known Member

I guess she just one of those people who snapped over time or adapted in a dark way

• Like Like x 2
  5. Daryl Rocks

Daryl Rocks Well-Known Member

This was about why Michonne doesn't trust anyone, not about crazy Jocelyn.

• Like Like x 2
  6. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

Meh, I found this subplot really weak and lazy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

Daryl thinks Joclyn was always a psychopath. He commented that some deeply evil people wear a mask so no one can see their true nature. He said Michonne could never have seen the real Jocyln because Joclyn's nature has no counterpart in Michonne's nature.

So, Joclyn didn't evolve into this, she always was this. She uses children because they are easily manipulated, and she enjoys destroying them as much as she enjoys killing the adults she sets them upon.

On Talking Dead, brilliant beloved notebook lady said Daryl's comment on masking evil foreshadowed the Whisperers.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Terminator

Terminator Well-Known Member

I thought this was the weakest episode of the season. I know we all wanted to know how the "X" scars got on the backs, but I really don't see how this episode added to the storyline other than to show us why Michonne is so cautious. Unless my tv feed missed something, there was no indication of how Daryl was able to escape being hung up. All of sudden he's free and releasing Michonne. Plus when he comes out of the building near the end his knife blades were covered in blood, so had he killed a bunch of kids as well. And I didn't understand Judith just wandering off to go on a walker killing spree. The kids were such nice little gems while in Alexandria and then they go all psychopath. I don't usually criticize the writing on here, but I thought this episode didn't measure up.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Lindigo

There is a shot of Daryl working his hands to put friction on the ropes that held him. He and Michonne exchanged a glance as she saw that he was working on getting free.

The storyline is just what you said--why Michonne became so closed off. If you couldn't trust a friend you knew from the before times and a bunch of children, who can you trust? No one.

It doesn't explain cutting off the communities you already know are good trusted allies, though, so it was weak in that respect. The only risk is what you encounter on the road.

The kids being nice little gems was a demonstration of how they had learned to get people to trust them as part of their psycho-grifter-killing-spree training from Jocyln. She used the same sweetness technique on Michonne to keep her off guard.

Re Judith going off to kill walkers, that had something to do with what Negan said to Michonne, that Judith might be off somewhere petting a horse--or maybe she took after her mother.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

As far as in the backstory of why the children left with Jocelyn’s group willingly was explained by Judith. She told Michonne that the children were nice to them and made it seem like a game. Judith and the other children were still very young at that point, and wouldn’t necessarily understand the sinister implications behind running off with a bunch of kids like they did.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

well crap now I cannot get this song out of my head....

so I thought I would share!

at the 1:10 mark we have our proof that the leader is in fact @NakedCity

12. 92Pony

92Pony Active Member

Careful what you wish for; We'll end up with a whole bottle episode on Jocelyn (while that might interest some, it wouldn't me in the least).

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Toothpick

Toothpick Well-Known Member

joyclyn was a normal person pre-ZA but the realities of surving turned her into a psycho who uses those kids to survive. She told herself she was helping them in order to justify her own actions.

Didanyone else think that 'Joyclyn' was the walker mask worn by the whisperer that was talking to Beta last episode?

• Like Like x 2
  14. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

Jocelyn reminds me a lot of Crazy Morgan. People that just can't cope.

15. mmmbert

mmmbert Active Member

Not until now. I remember the mask and the dreads, but didn't put them together.

16. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

I think there is enough info to form our own backstory.

She was with a group and the adults lost their shit, as adults in that world tend to do. Infighting and leadership problems. So she took the kids, probably the few older ones, and killed the rest of the adults. They then traveled from group to group by using the kids as her way in. People feel bad for kids so they are more accepting of a woman with children. They become part of the community and befriend the kids, making the kids part of her group before looting and killing. Then off to the next community. Basically she is a locust who uses children as her way into each community.

Like Alpha, she believes these communities don't survive because adults ruin everything. So take what they can and move on.

17. Lindigo

I wouldn't notice something that detailed, but what a great comment! Thanks.