Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Now I understand Woddbury's Governor on TWD

Discussion in 'Episode 105 - Cobalt' started by 8307c4, Sep 28, 2015.

1. 8307c4

8307c4 Well-Known Member

Way he was going about things, like coming up to a soldier's encampment with the white flag then having snipers shoot them all dead and just his general "kill or be killed" and taking from others so they could live another day attitude...

I remember him saying in one of the episodes something about the military could not be trusted, that early on he saw them killing loads and loads of humans and that they had orders to do so... I always thought the Governor was just using some feeble reason as an excuse for his own behavior...

But I see today where he was coming from, why he acted the way he did.
    I had started to suspect it, but tonight's episode dispelled any doubt that the soldiers do not have the human's best interest in mind.

That is what the Governor saw early on too, and that is what turned him against the rest of the world.

2. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

The governor killed those men because they were a threat to his personal power, not because he thought they were bad people.

#2 Neuropyramidal, Sep 28, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  3. mtito914

mtito914 Active Member

If you think there is anything realistic about the comical way they depicting the military.... you are completely wrong..

4. CSFurious

CSFurious Member

completely disagree now that Operation COBALT has been revealed

while true that the ex-soldiers that the Governor killed could have rejected the order to kill civilians and they meant no harm to the Governor, how could you trust any soldiers if you were a civilian in this story

5. Walker97

Walker97 Active Member

I understand what CS Furious is saying...I kind of agree that later into the apocalypse, they just become people like everyone else...

6. Neuropyramidal

Well, COBALT is a new concept, and didn't exist when the Governor script was written. During that episode, the implication was that the Governor was power hungry and willing to eliminate potential competition. He even killed Welles, who was just a single man, injured in bed. Plus, we have no evidence that Cobalt was a national operation. The official order is from the California Office of the Adjutant General, and involves specifically the safe zones in Cali.

I think the NG in Atlanta were a plot device to show us the sociopathic nature of the Governor.

7. Zombie_Rhino

Zombie_Rhino Well-Known Member

I don't agree that this is what turned the Gov against the rest of the world - i think there were a lot of things that led to that, more specifically what happened to his daughter and family.

I do think that perhaps it had something to do with how he handled the military people he came across though. Yes, they were a threat to his "power" in Woodbury, but if he really wanted he could have weeded a few of them out and tried to recruit the bodies for help. But instead he didn't even give them a chance and just killed them. Knowing now what they military did to most people, it makes more sense.

8. westwingnut

westwingnut Well-Known Member

We don't know yet what the military is planning for Cobalt. It sounds like an evacuation coupled with termination of those deemed dangerous to the rest.

Everything we were shown about the military guys indicated that they were decent people who were still following orders. The Governor had no justification to mow them down, except for survival of the fittest.

9. mtito914

mtito914 Active Member

How the hell would some guy named Phillip in Atlanta know about COLBALT?- A plan for clearing out the LA Basin.

10. Neuropyramidal

Right. And if the Gov thought there was even a chance they might still be exterminating civilians, he wouldn't have approached them the way he did, with arms up, in a friendly manner. If that was their M.O, they would have shot him on the spot, the moment he stepped out of the car. He would have instead just had everyone, including himself, ambush them from the woods. He was just making sure that he stayed in charge.

11. CSFurious

CSFurious Member

i don't know why you would be so naive as to think that COBALT would only exist in Southern California

it would be an order that would come from the upper echelon of the federal government

remember the napalm over Atlanta

12. Neuropyramidal

Cobalt was specifically the operation to eradicate the safe zones in California. You can read the official document on the AMC website.

13. CSFurious

CSFurious Member

National Guard is dual, i.e., state and federal; this type of plan would not be authorized for a state; also, hard to believe that the Governor of California would be in charge and not the President of the United States

federal control means Operation Cobalt would be nationwide, e.g., use of napalm on Atlanta

even though this is science fiction, let's be a little realistic

14. Cinest

Cinest Member

Can we call him Phil?

15. Neuropyramidal

Take a peek around you. A ZA has happened. You are describing how the world would work without a ZA.

We don't even know if the President is alive, or if California is even in contact with any central government.

#15 Neuropyramidal, Sep 28, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  16. CSFurious

CSFurious Member

it is only about 3 weeks out, i think Kirkman is trying to show how bad are leaders really are and the extermination of most of the infected is a coordinated plan to stop the spread

9 months out, central government is gone; one month out, reminds me of Battlestar Galcatica where the Secretary of Education is in charge

17. Blueman

Blueman Well-Known Member

I remember when Shane visited Rick in the hospital, he ran into soldiers evacuating the hospital and were shooting at what looked like civilians including hospital staff. This could be the Cobalt equivalent in Georgia.

I am not sure if the Governor knew this. But I think he mowed down those 10 or 12 soldiers mainly not due to distrust of them but because this group being in Woodbury is very likely to challenge his leadership. He was hiding a lot of outside world information from the Woodbury folks and this military group should easily see thru his fakes and exposed him. So, he wanted to eliminate them.

18. Neuropyramidal

You're making up numbers. Nine months out, we are almost at Woodbury stage. We have no idea if they are still in contact with central government. And the official document for the order suggests it came from inside the state.

19. Neuropyramidal

Yeah, we aren't sure what kind of a scope that hospital seen was. They could have been told to take down the hospital and everyone in it, since it was crawling with infected. That would have happened at an earlier stage than Cobalt, because the hospital was still functioning with regular patients like Rick in it, and non-government doctors.

And I think your assessment of the governor's motives is exactly correct.

20. 8307c4

8307c4 Well-Known Member

Oh, by no means does it make the governor (Phil, I mean) a good man all of a sudden.
    Even if my scenario were correct, two wrongs don't make it right.

I was more or less trying to understand the why of it all.