Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Oceanside's story about the Saviors

Discussion in 'Episode 706 - Swear' started by DragonRacer, Nov 28, 2016.

1. RickGrimes!!!

RickGrimes!!! Member

Remember, Negan WAS going to kill every single Alexandrian if Rick didn't cut Carl's arm off. Whoever was the leader of the Oceansiders back then probably refused to fall in line, and the group got punished as a result.

2. DragonRacer

DragonRacer Well-Known Member

Just gonna say that unless they decided to completely change a certain aspect of Negan's character that is very clear in the comics (and they might, I already have some misgivings thanks to other changes they decided to make), the Saviors didn't round up the women for rape. Certainly not if Negan was in earshot of the plan.

Well, if he has that part of Comic Negan, that is. :(

You know, I actually totally forgot about the library group. Shit. Were they even in the comics at all or were they just a thing the show threw in?

3. deadcpa

deadcpa Member

That one boy in the community is going to be very busy when he is a teenager.

4. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

They were a TV original group. Probably just to help show us the potential endpoint, if we decide to resist.

5. Frumious

Frumious New Member

They were actually mentioned in the Comics briefly as a group that traded with/was subjected of the saviors, so the TV version was spun a little bit. I think they had a sailboat in the comics too...

When the Mongol's would roll through eastern Europe they would line up all the males over a certain height and kill them, similar to what the saviors did to the ocean side community. It makes perfect sense to me if the original group was subjected to the saviors then tried to revolt, that would be the response to stifle other rebellions that could pop up . Ricks group wasn't in revolt this was the first time they have been "conquered". If they tried to revolt after getting their talking to, then I would expect the saviors to do something similar, or just kill them all like the library group.

6. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

The Savior's practice and policy would have adapted over time like anything else. The other point would be that maybe the Oceanside was dealing with a Savior's Outpost that acted more brutally than Negan does, as we recall that the Savior's outpost that HillTop was dealing with wanted Gregory's head over the level of supplies they were getting.

Then there's also the chance that Oceanside was overly fabricating. People over blow stuff to their advantage all the time.

We have to see the season play out before we can list this as a plot hole.

7. TheSlayingTaco1

TheSlayingTaco1 Well-Known Member

I agree this is were the episode lost me. As they mentioned Negan killing children and above, on the contrary, took always his character in my opinion. I got they are trying to make him different from the comic, but in the show says he says "I don't enjoy killing women" he has no problem killing a 10 year old boy just lost me Sunday. Thought I'd share my thoughts too on this.

8. bula412

bula412 Well-Known Member

Once Negan made himself known and broke Rick, ASZ fell in line. Perhaps they did something similar to this new group and they continued to fight back which required further action by the saviors

9. RickGrimes!!!

RickGrimes!!! Member

Exactly. The longer it takes for a group to fall in line, the more extreme measures the Saviors will take.

10. EvieE

EvieE Member

I think this was the episode that showed that Negan is beyond redemption. There is no way he can come back from this and live beyond the inevitable war.

11. Neuropyramidal

Do you have a link to where the library group was referred to in the comics?

12. Zvivor

Zvivor Well-Known Member

I don't think Negan is in full control of his men. It looks like most of them are ex-con hard-time lifers (for good reason); they seem to be pulling a lot of stupid, grandiose stunts. Some of his outposts seem to have a lot more autonomy than maybe they ought to. Negan may be evil and not maniacally out of control with his brutal torture killings. But his men --well, they are not as smart and he cannot control all of them, if there really are hundreds. Simon seems determined to make his own mark. Unfortunately for ASZ, Hilltop, the Kingdom and whatever Oceanside used to be-- they were just located in Negan's geographic sweet-spot tiand therefore the sweetspot of ambitious evil Neganites, than even Negan cannot (or does not want to) control.

13. RicksdaMan

RicksdaMan Active Member

I won't say the story doesn't make sense. It just doesn't make sense because it goes against what we know about the character. His not afraid to kill but the core of his actions has to do with having extreme control over his subordinates.

14. BlackLightning

I had forgotten all about the library group.

But I think the library group in the TV show had two problems. Reason #1 is that they were all consistently defiant. Reason #2 is that - in terms of resources - they were broke and couldn't provide for Negan like he wanted them to.

15. GregsGirl

GregsGirl Well-Known Member

Did I miss a group? What episode was the library group in?

16. Neuropyramidal

Reason 3 is that no one ever stayed quiet enough. People were trying to read!! :p

17. Neuropyramidal

616. The guy that Simon was kicking around and eventually hung from the bridge to make a point to Rick's group. He was the last surviving member of the Library group. They lived in the library that Morgan and Carol stayed in a for a few minutes. Another member of the group was hanging from an antennae structure, and Morgan cut him down.

18. DGribble19

DGribble19 Member

Don't know why Negan would let the sons of the men he killed live..hasn't he watched the Godfather 2 before?

I think the reason Negan didn't kill a bunch of people in Rick's group like Oceanside because at this point in the apocalypse the number of people alive that can potentially serve him has dwindled down

19. BlackLightning

Well, he killed all of their sons who were age of 10. A 15 year old boy who watches his father being brutally murdered by a Machiavellian mafia don named Negan is much more dangerous than at 15 than he is at 7.

I think the reason why that is the case is because Rick complied after his field trip with Negan.

20. fylimar

fylimar Active Member

They at least gave him a few lines, that made clear,he is not especially cool with violence against women: the first one, when he told Dwight, he can ask any woman to sleep with him, but only go through with it, if she agrees. Then he told Anat off for being rough with Olivia and after that admitts, that he has no problem with killing men, but hates killing women. So, I stay positive, that they keep that aspect of Negans character.

About the Oceanside people: I was a bit surprised too. I mean, sure, Negan loves to make spectacles out of his punishments, but killing nearly half of a community is a bit exessive, even for him (and I'm really not that familiar with Comic Negan, but I did some reading up in teh meantime). I wouldn't be surprised, if we later find out about a now rogue (or dead) Savior group, who acted out of line. Or the Oceansiders must have done something big. And I find it strange, even with his dislike for killing women, that he would have only punished the Oceanside men. I'm pretty sure, that he doesn't think women weak, he has some women in his inner circle, and some of the Oceanside women are pretty fierce, so I don't believe, that only the men did, whatever it was to piss off the Saviors, so something is a bit off here.