Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Ofelia - Survivor adaptations.

Discussion in 'Episode 212 - Pillar of Salt' started by Ionut, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

What are her exact motivations? Find her fiance/ex-fiance?

How would she figure he is even alive?

Quite risky. It's also amusing how well adapted to survival and walkers these LA survivors are - people with no LE or combat background. They're more adapted than the Atlanta Camp people were at this point in time.

Being that I am enjoying the show though as it's improved from it's mid season mess, I'm not just going to write that off as poor writing as usual and I actually think it's realistic for them to be "more along" than the Atlanta camp people since they experienced so much first hand and have some seriously lucky breaks - running into Strand, being in the military safe zone, being at water, etc....

They had the benefit of interacting and dealing with some hardened people up front and the benefit of superior resources up front.

But even with that, they're just a little too "adapted" right now to the situation a month in. They're already using the "walker herd" trick and they have no fear of Walkers at all, which is more in line with S3 super hardened TWD. Remember in S3 was the start of where they felt comfortable casually being out and about due to superior experience in dealing with Walkers over months.

What do you think?

2. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

Yup. I have definitely had to overlook the fact that they are swatting off infected like they are annoying flies......1 month in. Rick and co didn't develop that attitude til S3 as you said. And that was what....like 9 months to a year in?

I'm ok with Madison and co knowing the Blend In trick due to Nick stumbling across how that works out. But it's funny how everyone seems to know it. (La Colonia)
    Still not completely buying how quickly the bad people became more of a threat than the infected. However, different regions are going to adapt differently and I know I can't compare everything to how Rick and Co have journeyed. So I try not to.

I spent the last half of season 1 on the edge of giving up. But I have given it another chance and find I thoroughly enjoy this show now in spite of it's shortcomings. TPTB all say it's supposed to be its own show, no link to TWD so we can't really compare them. Which is hard to do. It IS a spinoff, after all. But now I just relax and allow myself to be entertained and I'm good.

As for Ofelia....ugh.....she's setting off to find a needle in an ever moving ever changing haystack. Curious to see how believable it will be if she DOES find Will.

3. bula412

bula412 Well-Known Member

For one, I think that they had more information than the Atlanta group had at this point. They were able to watch how the military easily dispatched of walkers and they talked to a doctor (exner) who had solid intel very early on. They had Daniel on their side who is a twisted individual. It was his idea to swarm the military compound with the walkers to make a distraction. The Atlanta group spent a good amount of time sneaking around and hiding which could explain why they were still somewhat behind on dispensing of the walkers. I'm also wondering if it is a little further along than a month at this point. How long were they in the safe zone for? It has to have been a month since they were in the safe zone. i'm guessing that at this point in time the Atlanta gang is probably on the farm.

4. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

They have also conveniently gotten rid of almost every potential Zombie in general as though the Southern California area and now Northern Mexico is not as populated to begin with as we know that it is?
    This has been just a sad way to play this to me,the Atlanta UnDead were much more realistic representation of just how huge the Zombie population and Danger would be and the one here just makes almost no sense to me at all?

Tijuana is a huge city as well but there are almost no Dead roaming around anywhere except in captivity.
    Contrast that with the enormous herds and sightings all throughout the Atlanta world and it is a lot easier to see how the Dead here are not as big an issue.

As for the Ophelia story line,who the hell can know?

5. Znuts

Znuts Member

Humans are able to adapt to severe situations pretty quickly and with everything this group has seen and experienced so far, they've been more on the front lines with the walkers than the main cast has been up to this point in the apocalypse. I agree with EZD that this group watched how easily the military was able to dispose of random walkers and so they've seen how easy it can be and adapted to it very quickly. Also, the group had the benefit of having a Daniel with them.

6. PepperAnn

Someone posted the timeline from wiki yesterday....somewhere here.....LOL lots o help am I.....

And it shows it's a little under a month after the outbreak and Rick hasn't woken from the coma yet. Or at least is just fixing to.

7. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

The only two things that have been annoying me since the mid season return is the sloppiness of the walker blood camouflage, where the walkers ignore them entirely even if they see them doing human like things and to a lesser extent how it's like S3 of TWD already.

No doubt different regions adapt differently. Mexican Cartels, which are basically heavily armed paramilitary and have no problem swatting life in general would be well adapted to crushing Walkers and other threats faster than ordinary people. They live on the edge and are combat experienced with heavy weaponry. They also have bunkers and supplies like a military force. I want to see more of that since they're in Mexico and I like that they're in Mexico because it's a different flavor.

The walkers also are decomposed like S3 walkers and should be a little fresher, IMO.

Yeah, the Ofelia plot right now is a little silly. But it's not unrealistic, people in general are emotionally driven and irrational. In real life it'd be like a needle at the bottom of a lake.....

8. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

Yes, that's also a problem, but maybe it's something they have yet to reveal. I'm withholding judgment on the absence of large herds til the end of the season.

9. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

It's about a month to be exact. The timeline is on the Walking Dead wiki. Rick has yet to wake up.

As for the rest of the analysis - I agree, the Atlanta group aside from Shane and Rick were made up of mostly middle class suburbanites and they didn't have the resources and guys like Strand/Daniel to begin with that were already ruthless. They also didn't have the military intel, nor did they have a huge yacht to escape the big city mess.

This group got to avoid a lot by escaping to Mexico. Although as discussed, the absence of large herds in these area's of Mexico is peculiar or poor writing. If anybody is familiar with these area's of Mexico and would like to chime in, it'd be awesome.

10. PepperAnn

My best friend who lives way up in Toronto and I have made a pact that should an apocalypse occur, I am to stay put and he will come to me. This is a dumb analogy since we say this in jest.....but my point is, unless they have some pre-existing agreement (haha)......it's pretty far fetched for her to think he's going to still be sitting in his living room eating green beans out of the can.

But on the other hand..........I can understand her need to at least KNOW.

11. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

I can understand.

But if they don't have an agreement like you say, or if she doesn't have a tip on a high probability of where he'd be and it being a secure enough place to where it's a reasonable possibility he's survived.... then it's pointless.

If the the zombie apocalypse went down and we know cities have been bombed and corpses are chewing up everything, there's just no rational to put yourself in danger to go look for anybody.

It's peculiar she would leave by herself with limited supplies. She's Daniel's daughter and certainly she's no delicate flower that can't handle herself, but one person with a tank full of gas and maybe a gun and some water out in the ZA looking for a needle in a haystack... that one's not going to last unless running into another non-evil group.

12. PepperAnn

100% agreed.

13. Camilleyun

Camilleyun Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with them using walker guts. Once you see something that works, it's smart to utilize it. I do find the lack of fear a bit weird. It's still early on, and speaking for myself, I would need some time to adjust to the fact that reanimated corpses are trying to eat me. Just seems like something one would not get used to quickly.

I think Ofelia has definitely set off to see if her fiance is still alive. Otherwise the flashback of their relationship is pretty pointless. I can't really fault her for having this desire, but setting off by yourself as well as failing to let your group know of this decision is irresponsible.

14. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

Nor do I. My problem is the Walkers reactions to the walker guts. In TWD the guts camouflage only works if they don't make obvious human movements and if it's laid on really thick.

In FTWD even if walkers have seen them as human prior, if they slap a little blood on then it's like they go invisible. They could just portray this a lot better while still having the same effect.

15. PepperAnn

FTWD's idea of Gut Camo

[​IMG]

16. Camilleyun

Camilleyun Well-Known Member

Yeah, I scratched my head for a second when Madison and Strand got surrounded and ducked down to coat themselves. It seems like the walkers should have piled up on top of them. But I think I'm being a little nit-picky, too.