Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

omg, how could I have missed it?

Discussion in 'Episode 403 - Isolation' started by Morgotha, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

I kept wondering why there'd be this superflu appearing out of nowhere (as opposed to having some serious conventional disease they were all familiar with show up) when it hit me they were right next to the CDC in Atlanta. Sure, the place was rigged to blow up to contain the pathogens within, but just because that was the plan, there's nothing to say that that plan worked and that some pathogen didn't manage to escape. It seems to me that most obvious place for the blood-eyed flu to have started would likely be the CDC itself, with infections radiating outwards from there.

P.s. I hope this issue hasn't been beaten to death already, and if it has, sorry for bringing it up again, LOL!

2. ZombieFlanders

CDC blew up two years ago and the prison is not that far from Atlanta. I can't imagine the flu taking that long to reach the prison.

3. tink

tink Well-Known Member

The CDC was actually rigged to blow up not to contain the pathogens, but to destroy them.

http://walkingdead.wikia.com/wiki/Center_for_Disease_Control

4. zipykido

zipykido Member

Assuming that the system worked perfectly. They could have been working on a disease that kills walkers derived from human diseases. Any walker in the area could be a carrier for that disease and it just slowly spread through random walker movement and proximity. Then again that is highly doubtful considering that the explosion was quite big and it seemed to destroy the facility thoroughly.

5. Busted Flipflop

The other thing to keep in mind is that diseases will develop in any post-apocalyptic scenario. Waters are contaminated and the lack of oversight, hygiene, nutrition, and social containment will let any emerging disease spread. The same thing would happen today if mega poop hit the fan and our society collapsed. Diseases would run rampant.

6. Mr Sinister

Mr Sinister Member

You also have to figure that there's bound to be some new types of diseases developing just from all the rotting corpses walking around everywhere. It was only a matter of time before they encountered something like that, if you really think about it.

7. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

These kinds of diseases already exist. They could just develop in post apocalyptic scenarios.

8. Tepig003

Tepig003 Member

Dr. S said that people had this disease/illness before the walkers came along, so maybe someone near the prison that had the disease/illness died in/near the water that's by the prison. If that person or group died near the prison they might have reanimated and walked in the water and that's where they get some of their water (In a river or a lake). The walker that had that illness could have fell in one of the water buckets and the group thought that they cleaned it out, but they didn't. So that's three ways that the water could get infected

9. tink

tink Well-Known Member

The flu virus isn't transmitted via water.

10. Morgotha

He did? I missed that part. If it existed BEFORE the walkers that shoots my theory in the butt.

11. Morgotha

I understand. My point was just that the bomb was meant to keep the pathogens from being released into the environment. Personally, I'm not so sanguine that the explosion would do that. Many of the viruses are kept frozen, etc., in metal freezers, and even if the vaults they were in got blown apart, that doesn't absolutely positively guarantee that every single thing in that complex would be destroyed.

I mean practically speaking, Rick and crew were just outside the building and they all lived to tell the tale. I'd bet rooting around in the wreckage would still yield something.

12. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

they do. maybe not exact but it's not random.

13. Shane#22

Shane#22 Well-Known Member

Omg rick broke the window before the HITs could destroy all the viruses!!!!!!!

14. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

I don't think it's the CDC. With the ZA the clock has been turned back. Prior to the 20th century people would sometimes die of stuff that simple anti-biotics knock out today. Also, they can't properly disinfect things and in this ZA world both new and old viruses can be lethal.

15. Darylette

Darylette Member

plus surely people are going to be physically run down. Their diet is poor, they must be going hungry and the last two years must have been hard in their overall health. They must be physically vulnerable.

16. Tyler

Tyler Well-Known Member

17. gagnewest

gagnewest New Member

I think you hit the nail on the head. The thousands of half living- half dead rotting sacks of flesh roaming around in close proximity to each other (see super herd, and think major cities) are the likely source of this new infection. Sure the lack of sanitation may lead to the resurgence of common illnesses but this new super strain is something entirely unique in its lethality and extreme contagion and the zombies are its likely breeding ground. You have to consider people lived in much larger cities with an even lesser understanding of disease and even poorer conditions in the history of man, during the middle ages for example. This is a small isolated pocket of people who's living conditions actually seem somewhat reasonable.

18. mineking1

mineking1 New Member

There's a red-eyed zombie at the fence. There are several instances where the camera focuses on him. I believe both Rick and Carl stop to look at him. He is clearly not right, even for a zombie. It's safe to assume that the infection killed him, he is carrying it with him, and he is the cause of the infection in the pigs and the people. (I'm only on episode 4 of season 4, so I don't have a lot perspective on that yet).