Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Outcast: new Robert Kirkman comic

Discussion in 'Comic Books' started by and138, Jun 12, 2014.

1. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Kyle Barnes has been plagued by demonic possession all his life, and now he needs answers. Unfortunately, what he uncovers along the way could bring about the end of life on Earth as we know it.

Who else is excited about this? Issue #1 will be released on June 25. I already have an order in at my local comic shop because I figure the first printing will sell out fast. Kirkman is already developing the TV show!

More info here: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/robert-kirkman-talks-outcast-says-710974

2. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

So is anyone reading this? I refuse to believe I'm the only one on this forum who rushed out and bought it today.

I won't say much, in case people haven't picked it up or haven't gotten around to reading it yet, but it looks as if it's going to be pretty creepy. Kirkman makes it clear in a letter to readers that Outcast is meant to be a horror comic, unlike TWD. Also, it's in colour! The palette used is quite dark, though -- lots of reds and sepia tones and greys. What is similar to TWD is that the craziness starts right away; he dives into the action, and will reveal the back story to us over time. I'm really looking forward to the next one.

3. WalkerSlayer

WalkerSlayer Member

I picked up 2 copies, because I'm that kind of person. I enjoyed it, looking forward to seeing where it goes!

4. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

Good idea. I wish I'd done that.

I think I may start buying digital versions of TWD and Outcast as well as the print versions, because as it is I very carefully read through my copy, bag it up, and then try not to touch it again. But many times I'd like to go back and re-read some parts, especially while I'm following the TWD discussion here.

5. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

6. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

The cinemax pilot was greenlit. Is this good? On issue 2 right?

#6 legendx66, Aug 23, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  7. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

Yes, issue #3 will be released on Wednesday.

It's good so far. You should check it out. It's about a guy who has the power to "cast out" demons, but he doesn't know how he's doing it or how he acquired this power, but it has affected his life negatively and makes him an "outcast." The structure is different than TWD in that there are a fair number of flashback panels, and there are smaller, thumbnail-sized panels within panels to show different perspectives of the action in the main panel or other characters' reactions to it. At the moment, the story is creepy -- some weird things have happened, and much of the characters' back stories seem mysterious -- but I have the feeling things will shift from creepy to scary or full-out disturbing pretty soon.

8. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

Cool. I'm all for a different style. I'll check it out next time I need something to read. Thanks for the writeup.

9. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

Just finished issue 5. I'm really liking it so far. It's quite cool. I LOVE the art especially. Anyone else reading this?

10. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

I might give this a go pretty soon. Find it odd that a show is already in the works with only a few issues… maybe the show will follow a different storyline?

11. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

I know nothing about the show myself. I think from what i've read the comic could make a very interesting show but it seems WAY too soon so I don't have much interest in it like I do the comic. Especially since the comic is still setting things up. No idea what to expect on the show

12. BatmansHooker

I'm yet to read the comic, but the basic idea of the series seems like something that might translate into some interesting television.

I think I'll buy the first issue later tonight and give it a try. Then post my thoughts on it here. :p

13. BatmansHooker

Okay, I've just caught up on the first 6 issues. Outcast, so far, is a great series. Very different from TWD, but equally as compelling. I'm surprised there's only two pages of this thread actually, it seems like the kind of thing a lot of us would discuss. Particularly issue #6, that was a good one.

That being said, the comics are still in the very early stages and we're still being introduced to the world of Outcast, the characters, the lore… but so far, it does look promising.

14. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

Just read issue 6 myself. Definitely a stronger first volume than TWD and Invincible had imo(blasphemy I know). You can tell kirk is much more experienced.

I'm totally using you for spoiler discussions now lol

15. BatmansHooker

Kirkman really started to settle into his own writing style somewhere during the prison arc of TWD, I think. He's taking a different approach for Outcast, but his style remains pretty consistent. Similar tone and all, just shaken up a bit.

16. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

Good observation on writing. He's def. developed a style of his own

17. BatmansHooker

18. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

From what I read, Kirkman was already in talks to create the show before he even started penning the comic.

People seem to really like this, so I guess I'll have to give it a try.

19. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

I just got caught up on this; kinda fell behind after issue #3. It's just gotten better, though. I like how we're starting to see how the different storylines and flashbacks are fitting together.

That last issue!

20. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

[MENTION=4329]legendx66[/MENTION], [MENTION=5424]BatmansHooker[/MENTION], regarding the show, Kirkman talks a bit about it in the letters section of issue #5. Apparently he's already been out scouting locations. And because it will be on Cinemax, the show will be able to get away with swearing as well as the extreme gore. (We don't get Cinemax here, but some of their shows air on HBO Canada, so maybe it'll be on there?)