Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Outcast: new Robert Kirkman comic

Discussion in 'Comic Books' started by and138, Jun 12, 2014.

1. WatWD

WatWD Member

I wonder what RK will do. By that I mean :
    Will he be fully in control of writing/producing?
    OR
    Will he go like TWD (TV Series) and Thief of Thieves comic where he takes a lessor role and lets others develop the stories?

2. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

3. WatWD

WatWD Member

I think RK is a master story-teller. I just hope that he trains the others up well. If he lets go of the reigns any to the others I hope they don't take it south like some of what has happened on the TWD.

I was at the LCS today (I'm addicted) and they had Outcast Vol 1. It was just a straight up mash of the first 6 issues. There wasn't any extra material in the back or anything. It was only $10 but I didn't buy it. I'm going to wait and see if a book comes out, similar to TWD, that has extra stuff and extra quality. I think reading what @jwcoombs has wrote in other threads has convinced me to purchase the higher quality products.

4. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

My daughter's boyfriend convinced me to give this series a read. Started yesterday, four issues in. I am intrigued but not yet invested.
    But I do wonder, how is it that at my ripe old age I am becoming the person who reads comic books? Really thought at this stage in my life I would be reading articles from the AARP magazine!!!

5. WatWD

WatWD Member

You like good stories from good story tellers. Comics are just one way that happens. I'm in a similar situation. I had friends in High School that read comics so I would read theirs a little. Haven't touched a comic in 30 years since then and now I'm back into them. TWD peaked my interest and I just spread out from there. I think I have over 20 titles on my pull list now.

6. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

One of us! One of us! One of us!

[​IMG]

I'm in the same boat, but comics aren't just for kids. All of the comics I read are definitely not suitable for kids, in fact. Not just in terms of subject matter but also the level of storytelling in TWD, Outcast, etc. is too advanced for kids. In my case, I've always been a novel reader, but I just feel burnt out from it lately. Comics got me reading for fun again.

7. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Same here in regard to novels...I suppose my inability to focus for any great length of time is due to the early onset of dimentia OR a missed opportunity to diagnose myself with ADHD.

Kidding aside, I have found that in the last couple of years my 'taste' in regard to books, television, movies, etc has drastically changed. Once upon a time my DVR was filled with series recordings for every day of the week. Now, the only shows set to record are TWD, Talking Dead, Gotham, Constantine and Elementary. Will be adding The Returned (A&E) in March. But I digress

8. WatWD

WatWD Member

So what titles are you reading besides TWD? Any good/bad recommendations to get or to stay away from?

9. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

Issue #7 is out tomorrow. Finally! I've almost forgotten what was going on.

10. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

I read Volume 1 this morning, and I'm liking it too. Moving forward I'm going to continue to buy the whole volumes as they come out and not individual issues. I like to read a considerable chunk of a story at once.

Can only say good things about this so far. I like how they have a bunch of different storylines to follow and a lot of mystery revolving around them. We have some big ones too like Kyle's wife and mother, and how those relationships play out. The artwork is very good too, and I'm looking forward to continuing the series.

I really like Kirkman's style too. It's hard to tell when you just have TWD standing alone, but now that I have another comic to compare it too, I don't think it's just one hit wonder or zombie genre sort of deal. I'm really enjoying Outcast on its own merit. Good stuff.

11. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

I just binge read the first 7 issues. I'm enjoying it so far, but like [MENTION=17192]Dnae[/MENTION] said, I'm not completely invested yet. Its Kirkman, so I know it has continued potential, but would I keep reading it if it was some random author? Probably not, honestly. But to be fair, I wasn't invested in TWD after the first 7 issues either. ;)>

There has been a couple editorial errors that I'm surprised made it into print. For instance, in issue 7, Allison refers to her own daughter as 'Holly'. Megan's daughter is Holly, not Allison's. Allison's daughter is Amber. Not really a big criticism, but it's there.

12. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

I haven't read an issue since issue #6. I was enjoying where this was going but the big break over the new year killed my interest. I'll have to get back into this sometime.

#52 BatmansHooker, Jun 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  13. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

I stopped on issue 5 and have been telling myself to get back to reading it, trying to convince myself that at some point the story will actually start to speak to me (well not literally, because that would just be strange and a bit unnerving).

14. BatmansHooker

It seems you chose an unfortunate stopping point. I remember issue 6 being a little more shocking than the previous ones. :p

Honestly, I think it'll really begin to pick up over the next couple of volumes. It's the same with TWD. I find the first few volumes of that pretty boring, but once the story really kicks in and we become invested in some of the characters it's a lot better to read.

15. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

You guys have given me reason to pick it back up again. Now that my stint of fostering a newborn kitten is drawing to a close, I might actually have time for myself once again.

16. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

Just read issue 7 finally. Slow but I enjoyed it. Looking forward to reading the next couple when I can. I'll admit I love the art in this book enough to read it even if the dialogue is removed lol. For some reason it appeals to me.

17. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

18. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

19. BatmansHooker

Finally, I was wondering when we'd get some more news on the show.

It actually looks pretty good from that teaser. As you said, it seems like it's going to be pretty faithful to the comics. At least in the beginning - there's only a few issues of the comic currently out, so it may start off similar and wind up heading in a slightly different direction.

I think I need to catch up on the last few issues!

20. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

I'm a couple issues behind too, actually. But this definitely makes me want to catch up.