Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Outcast: new Robert Kirkman comic

Discussion in 'Comic Books' started by and138, Jun 12, 2014.

1. lastcat3

lastcat3 Well-Known Member

I'm surprised they are starting a tv series up this quickly. If the show gets the ratings to keep on going for multiple seasons it's not going to take long for the show to pass the comic up.

Maybe they plan on taking it in two different directions anyhow and the show can help with comic sells.

2. Shadow

Shadow Member

Is this comic worth buying the trade paperbacks? And because it's from Kirkman, does it look a lot like The Walking Dead or is it something really original? I don't want to buy a TWD copy you know and I only know Kirkman of his TWD stuff...

And how much horror is it? Say in comparison to The Walking Dead because I don't think that's scary, just fun gore.

3. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Is anyone else all caught up on this? I read the December issue last night. I'm kind of feeling underwhelmed to be honest, but in the last issue things started to get a bit interesting.

4. Neuropyramidal

It has a totally different feel than TWD. Its suppose to be more scary, but I'm not feeling it. lol.

5. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

I am so far behind in all my comics other than TWD that I vowed to myself that I would start working on catching up, one series per week(end) until I'm current. I think I'm on issue 7 or 8 of Outcast? :( Maybe I'll start here.

6. Neuropyramidal

I was starting to think the entire series was just going to be Reverend Anderson and Kyle running around together like the dynamic duo, trying to solve this thing. But in the latest issue, its possible the game has changed a bit. This was the first issue I found really interesting.

7. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

Okay, thanks, I'll keep going then.

Recently I've heard/read a few people (such as [MENTION=9197]lastcat3[/MENTION]) saying that they think Kirkman is a better volume writer than individual issue writer, and that when you read his works in chunks it's more enjoyable. It's been a long time since I read through the TWD comics uninterrupted, so I can't remember which I liked better. But maybe having a bunch of Outcast to read at once is a good thing.

The guys at the comic store claim I need to read Invincible because it's better than Outcast. But I refuse to start on that until I've finished everything else. :)

8. lastcat3

Yes Kirkman tends to be extremely detail oriented (both in plot and characterization) which is good in the long run but when reading it issue by issue it really can seem to move along pretty slowly. I am also reading a lot of the Star Wars comics being released now through Marvel and after only about fifteen issues it feels like the plot is much further along than TWD was after its first fifteen issues.

I honestly don't think I would want to read anything else of Kirkman's until there is a compendiums worth or more of material. His writing style is just a little to slow paced for my taste.

#68 lastcat3, Jan 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  9. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

That's how I read the Walking Dead, by the volume. And I've done the same with Outcast. It's more of a personal thing though for me because if I went by the issue it just wouldn't be enough content for me. I'm enjoying Outcast so far but I did have to browse a bit through Volume 1 again to refresh my mind where the story had left off before reading the second one. I've never done that with TWD.

10. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

I like reading TWD by the issue mostly so that I can come here to discuss each issue -- it's like an online book club for me -- and so that I can be as up to date as possible because I am obsessed. But yes, objectively speaking, I can see with Outcast how he takes a long time to set up a storyline, with the idea that it will deliver a bigger payoff in the end. I believe he sort of addressed this in the TWD Letter Hacks this month, but I can't quite recall and don't have my issue with me atm. I'll post it in the 150 thread later.

With the other comics I read, yes, I think they are faster paced and I liked to read by the issue because there was something to look forward to every month. But then once I fell behind, I started to forget what was happening in all the different stories. So there is definitely something to be said for reading in bigger chunks.

11. Neuropyramidal

I tried reading Invincible a year or two ago, because it was Kirkman, and the first issue struck me as something that was meant for preteens. Like more of a Batman type thing. It didn't strike me as anything I would be interested in, but of course I only read one issue.

12. Neuropyramidal

I've never been a comic reader, so I don't have much to compare it to, but for me personally I consider the slow pacing a strength. The pacing and the black and white illustrations add to the realism for me. It helps me absorb myself into the comic, because that is more what I would expect real life to be in that world. A lot of down time with everyday dramas, with an occasional burst of excitement and activity from the outside word, such as a battle with Negan. But even the slow issues are interesting to me, and give us necessary character development. If they were much more fast paced, then to me it would feel more like a cartoon.

But this is just a personal preference.

13. lastcat3

And it might not be fair of me to say that Kirkman isn't a real good individual issue writer as my knowledge of comics is pretty limited as well. Basically I'm just reading the Star Wars comics and Walking Dead and in regards to Star Wars Marvel is putting some of their best guys on those titles. So for me to say that Kirkman isn't as good of individual issue writer as some of the other comics I have read basically I am just comparing him to the best writers that the most popular company in the comic business has.

Could very well be that Kirkman's individual issues are still better than 90% of other comics out there but he just isn't in that top 10% that Marvel has.

14. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

I started reading comics again only about two years ago, and besides Preacher, I read only Image titles, so I'm not a big comic reader, either. However, I do think Kirkman tends to use the same pattern in TWD and Outcast, where there is a slow buildup with lots of details and background info, and then suddenly a lot of action. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but when I'm reading the individual issues during a slow period, I do sometimes get impatient.

Edit: Actually, I was mistaken earlier. In the Letter Hacks Kirkman addressed the misleading "cliffhangers" that end many of the issues, not pacing. But it's another way in which reading issues is a different experience than reading the collections.

[​IMG]

#74 and138, Jan 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  15. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

So I'm all caught up on Outcast, and it feels good. :)

The pace picked up quite a bit in the last few issues. It seems like Kirkman has given us enough background info and characterization and is now moving the story forward. I'm excited to see what's coming.

16. lastcat3

As a comparison of the pacing compared to other comics. I just decided to start reading another image comic title named Lazarus. In one single issue they go from introducing the main character, giving us a bit of background of the group she is with and who they are battling, and ended with an execution of someone they blamed for an attack because they felt they were incahoots with the enemy. All that within one issue.

17. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's the only drawback for me. I don't get to participate in TWD Comic threads because I'm reading it by the volume.

18. mishone

mishone Member

So when did you realize that this story is not the "normal demonic possession"?

What kind of possession is it? Alien? who knows.

Kyle is one of them? hell yes.

Why did "they" (whoever the hell they are ot what they are) cast some of their kind out?

What the heck IS this story about? demons, aliens? is this THE beginning of TWD? is this the cause of the virus that caused the outbreak, death and rsurection of the dead?

Questions, questions, questions. My imagination runs wild now and then. hmm now where did I put those damned pills.

19. Neuropyramidal

I don't think it will relate to the TWD universe in any way. I find this comic sort of humdrum so far to be honest. I'm still giving it a chance, but I hope we start moving along in the plot a bit speedier. At first I was okay with the pacing, but now we are many issues in, and really not much has happened.

20. mishone

mishone Member

I agree not a part of TWD universe, made a bad joke. I must be really bored, ho hum.