Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

outlander

Discussion in 'Television Shows' started by fruitfulandgay, Aug 2, 2014.

1. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

S05E11 Journeycake

We've come to last episode before the season finale. We've wrapped up some story arcs and I'm sure there's going to be a set up for the season 6 story lines which will be jaw droppers in some ways for those who haven't read the books. New characters will be introduced as well.
    But now we have what happened in this epi. Damn if I didn't need a few tissues. Oh, I should mention that Diana Gabaldon herself wrote this episode so she threw in some things that viewers should take note of.

Life is good on the Ridge after the horribleness of Wilmington and Stephen Bonnet. Claire has even brought back a bunch of peanuts determined that her grandson will have tasted peanut butter! Ahhhh Claire, such a good granny. They run across a burned out cabin where it appears that all the inhabitants have lost their lives. It looks like at least one has been felled by an arrow. Out side they find the last survivor, a little girl who has been severely burned but clinging to life, barely. Jamie sees she cannot be saved and in true 18th century style, because they can do naught but ease her suffering, Roger speaks softly to her while putting a cloth over her nose and mouth until she suffocates. They bury everyone.

Who comes a calling but those Brown weirdos with a group of men. Richard Brown tells Jamie that he's formed a committee of safety to keep law and order in the back woods, suggesting there's been trouble and it might be the Indians. Ian objects to that and Jamie tells Brown that while he's also seen signs of trouble he feels that he can best protect his own land and people rather than ride with the committee. Brown's a little pissed as he tells Jamie that he answered the call when Jamie came looking for militia men but Himself explains there's a difference between going to war and law and order but he softens the blow somewhat by telling the guy he'll think about it.

Later, out in front of the big house, Ian is playing with Jemmy using that huge opal that used to belong to Otter Tooth. Everyone is around and Jemmy tells his cousin that the stone is hot. No it's not, Ian replies but Jemmy insists, at which point the opal breaks in his hands and the travelers can hear the rocks. That is, Roger, Bree, Claire and now little Jemmy can hear it but Ian and Jamie can't. Whoa, it looks like the wee bairn is a time traveler too!!! Ian wants some answers and gives his uncle a book the Mohawk gave him while he lived with them. Apparently they were still talking about Claire after her last visit.
    It's written in Latin and of course Jamie being educated can read Latin. It proves that OT was a time traveler from the future himself, although we know Claire long suspected it. The journal, Claire declares, was written with a ball point pen which makes Ian go, ok guys....spill.
    Jamie and Claire tell him that she's from 200 years in the future and Ian tells her that he always thought she was a fairy. Claire corrects him and it dawns on Ian that Bree and Roger are from the future too. Jamie tells him that Murtagh knew as well and that they keep it secret because people wouldn't understand.

Now that Bree and Roger know their son can travel, Bree tells Rog that it's undoubtedly because he has two time traveling parents. Way to go Bree. They decide that it would be best if they returned to their own time because it certainly would be safer for them. Book readers know that while the family returns, it's only after their second child has a heart condition that can't be fixed in the 1700s but we'll see what happens.

Now we do the rounds of Bree and Roger saying their goodbyes to everyone on the Ridge. They've concocted a story of Roger being offered a job at university in Boston. Even Lord John stops by to tell Jamie that he's returning to England, where Willie is still attending school, as old Lord Dunsany has passed and Willie needs guidance as he takes on the role of the new Lord Ellesmere. He's also going to take Ulysses with him to England where he'll be safe. Later, Jamie tells Bree that she has a brother. Hugs and kisses to Fergus and Marsali, then Lizzy who at first assumes she'll be accompanying her mistress to Boston, and even a good bye to Lord John. Ian even inquires if he can go back in time with his cousin. He'd like to go back far enough to fix whatever the problem was between him and his Indian wife but they have to let him down, telling him doesn't work that way. You have to be born with the gift. On their last night, Claire makes peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for everyone to mixed reviews, lol. Ian drives them to the stone circle that Roger found when he was trying to escape his Indian captors, to bring back the horses and the Mac's tie themselves together with their little one, each holding a gem, and disappear through the stones, to Ian's amazement. The only thing is is that something appears to have gone wrong. They made it through in one piece but did they get where they were going? Judging by their reaction, I think not but stay tuned that's not in the book.

Lionel Brown returns with his wife to have medical treatment on her arm. Claire treated Lionel's leg when they were there earlier so Lionel trusts her to some extent. Claire is skeptical about how Mrs. Brown got her injury. She says it could have occurred by falling or someone twisting the arm. Lionel isn't too happy, remember he was the clown that crushed Claire's syringe at Alamance because he didn't like the way she was talking to him. He steps out of the surgery and the wife tells Claire that Lionel indeed broke her arm because she refused to "lay" with him. She goes on to further say that she did that because while she doesn't mind him mistreating her, she wouldn't want to put an innocent child in harms way. Besides, she got the idea of abstinence during certain times of the month because she read it in the paper, in Dr. Rawlings column, that pregnancy could be prevented that way. While Claire is doing her thing, Lionel returns and is wandering in the surgery when lo and behold he spies Claire's medical box with DR. RAWLINGS name on it!!! The light bulb, dim as it is, goes off in his head and he grabs his wife for a quick departure and Jamie puts the icing on the cake by telling Lionel he's not going to join their vigilante group.

Not long afterwards, after the "kids" (no matter their age they'll always be the kids, lol) have departed for the circle the men hear an explosion and see smoke. HOLY HELL, the still is on fire!!! While the men go racing off, Claire and Marsali stay behind to attend to the dislocated shoulder of one of the Ridge residents. A group of men, I wonder who, breaks into the house. They stab the poor patient when he tries to fight and they knock Marsali unconscious....and she's preggers AGAIN!!! Then they kidnap Claire!!!! As the Ridge men return, they find little Germain, wandering around by himself. He tells his father that mama won't wake up and the bad men took grandma. They rush into the house and thankfully they can revive Marsali. We see Jamie take off to where he's built a new wooden cross, and lights it on fire calling all the men of the Ridge to war. It. is. on. with the Browns!!!

One light note in this episode is that they do the scene from the book where Jamie and Claire have window sex!!!! Hot, is all I'm going to say but I've never figured out how she didn't fall off that window sill, lol. Then....we see Jamie viewing his own spunk under the microscope per the book! Diana tried to get as much in from the text as possible, bless her soul, even though they’re already pulling things from book 6, A Breath of Snow and Ashes.

#1041 purriwinkle, May 7, 2020
    Last edited: May 8, 2020
  2. purriwinkle

Images from Journeycake

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. purriwinkle

4. purriwinkle

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And from a fan:

[​IMG]

5. purriwinkle

S05E12 Never My Love - SEASON FINALE

Well, we follow Claire as her kidnappers haul her away. As one can imagine, it's quite horrific. Claire tries to hold her ground but she gets beaten and cut. She tries to use the fact that the men believe she's a conjure woman and can curse them but to little avail. Just when she thinks she may have someone who will help her, Lionel manages to scrub that plan. Lionel beats, kicks and drags Claire whenever he gets irritated that she's not cowering before him. He gags her and ties her to a tree by her neck. She can barely breath as her nose is swollen and bloody and now she can hardly get her breath around the gag. He claims that he's taking her back to Browntown so that she can confess to the women what a charlatan she is pretending to be a man, Dr. Rawlings. I don't know how much they're drinking but he's determined to show her she's just a woman and woman are good for whatever men want to use them for. He has his nephew rape her, he rapes her and then he invites the other men in camp to line up and take a turn with the hedge whore.

At one point she cries out her Jesus H. Roosevelt Christ and it seems to register with one of the men. He goes over to where they have her tied up and he asks her where's she from. He asks her if the name Ringo Starr means anything to her. He does remove her gag for a bit so she can talk and she tells him yes, she knows who that is....he's a drummer. I knew it, he tells her. He didn't think that advice of Dr. Rawlings was given by anyone from this time period. When she asks him who he is, he tells her that he came back to this time from 1968 with a group of American Indians. His name is Wendigo Donner and he's been trying desperately to get back to the future, but he needs gem stones. Claire thinking she may have a way out tells him that she has gemstones, and she knows where there is a stone circle. She asks him to help her get out of there but he states that they'll have to wait until everyone is asleep. He's afraid of what Lionel may do to him if he tries to help sooner. Then he advises her to act more afraid like the women of this time period. When Lionel calls over to ask what he's doing, he calls back that he's just making sure the ropes are tied tightly and puts that damn gag back in her mouth. Of course, he never gets around to an attempted rescue before more beating and the raping begins.

All during her ordeal, Claire gets through it by disassociating herself in her mind by imagining she is in a home, some time in the future with Jamie and her family, each dressed in modern clothing with the exception of Jamie, dressed as she first met him. Never My Love is playing on the stereo. There are all sorts of Easter eggs in the house that she relies on to take herself away so she can survive.

Back at the stone circle, Bree, Roger and little Jemmy find that they've come back through the rocks right where they started. It turns out that they both were thinking about home and the stones sent them back to their home. They decide to head back to the Ridge. As they get closer they see the cross Jamie lit to call the men of the Ridge to his side. They know something is wrong. When they get to the big house, Jamie, happy to see they didn't go, tells them Claire has been kidnapped and he's gathering all the men to go after her captors. Roger and Josiah tell Jamie they'll also go for Mistress Claire.

Poor Claire lies there half dead, and she sees in the distance of the firelight a fierce fight. Jamie and the others have caught up with the Brown clowns and the slaughter begins. Most of the Brown men are killed with a few captured. Jamie finds his love and can't believe what bad shape she's in. Kudos to make up cause at this point she looks terrible. Jamie can see her torn skirts and knows what's happened besides obviously getting the shit kicked out of her. He tells her he's there and she'll be okay now, that's she's alive and whole. He asks her how many men "hurt" her. When she replies that she doesn't know, John Quincy Meyers offers her a knife to take her revenge on those who are still alive. She looks away and Jamie tells him that she has taken a vow not to kill (kinda bullshit but you know, Hippocratic oath and all). I kill for her, he tells Myers and Ian and Fergus also affirm that they kill for her too. Jamie gives the command that the prisoners be executed. They're all shot and Jamie carries Claire over to see that the men who hurt her are no more. At that point Roger sees that Lionel is still breathing. He tells his father-in-law that they should keep him alive long enough to interrogate him, so they bring him back to the Ridge with them. On the way home, Claire tells Jamie about Wendigo, but he wasn't among the dead. When Jamie asks did he hurt her, she tells him no but that he didn't help her either. No matter, Jamie replies, he's gone now. But is he??? (Stay tuned for season 6)

Once Claire is home, she's overjoyed to see both her girls, Bree and Marsali but she's still traumatized as one would expect. Bree draws her a bath and offers her mom her ear if she wants to talk but Claire says nothing. Later that evening, when Claire is alone with her husband and he asks how she's doing, she tells him that she's been through a world war, the loss of a child, losing two husbands, beaten, betrayed, and she's survived. If she's supposed to be shattered she just won't be. Okay, then. Later when Bree gets home, Roger confesses to her that he killed a man.

The next day she dresses and goes down to the surgery where Lionel is being held, tied up ,of course, on one of the examining table. She at first, upon seeing him, struggles with her emotions actually picking up a scapel, but puts it down telling him that she won't hurt him. She tells Marsali to prepare some meds for him and leaves running up the stairs where she breaks into tears. Lionel doesn't know when to stop. He keeps running his mouth off and we see Marsali preparing a concoction all right but it's not comfrey....she's got those hemlock roots brewing in the water. She fills up the new syringe that they had made in Wilimgton, and she approaches Lionel. What's that she's got in her hands, he wants to know. Oh, she tells him, Mistress Claire has been teaching her the art of healing. She looks him straight in the eye and says, she's taken a vow not to harm anyone but I've taken no such vow. Then she jabs that needle in his neck and pushes the plunger in while she tells him, "You hurt me, you hurt my family, you hurt my ma and I'll watch you burn in hell before I let you hurt another soul in this house." You so bad ass Marsali!!!!

Jamie, brings Lionel's body back to Brown Town, for god knows what reason. I'd have buried them all, left them to rot and disavowed any knowledge of the affair but you know Jamie. He dumps the body at Richard Brown's feet and tells him that a group of men attacked the Ridge, kidnapped and violated his wife and he and his men gave chase. He tells him that they killed them all but he brought back the body of his brother so they could bury him. Richard answers that Lionel reaped what he sowed, and Jamie did what he had to but that he would also do what he had to in the future. Feud anyone?

We close out the season, with Jamie and Claire nakkie in bed. They're cuddled and she's covered with bruises and cuts. He tells her she's a wee brave one. Am I? she asks him. How do you feel he wants to know. "Safe" she tells him.

It's going to be a long droughtlander, I suspect, with this corona virus situation. I don't know how it will effect when we get season 6 but they have been renewed for a season 6 and I can assure you it will be chock full of jaw dropping moments as well.

#1045 purriwinkle, May 12, 2020
    Last edited: May 12, 2020
  6. purriwinkle

Images from the season finale- Never My Love

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

#1046 purriwinkle, May 12, 2020
    Last edited: May 17, 2020
  7. purriwinkle

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

#1047 purriwinkle, May 12, 2020
    Last edited: May 17, 2020
  8. purriwinkle

9. purriwinkle

10. purriwinkle

*correction. I’ve been referring to Brownsville as Brown Town. Sorry for any confusion.

11. purriwinkle

News is sparse due to the pandemic but I ran across this....

I think she’d make a fine director.

https://www.btimesonline.com/articl...lity-directing-episode-outlander-season-6.htm

About the show’s return from the article:

Meanwhile, Balfe and the rest of the cast of the series are expected to start filming the sixth installment in fall. The production of Outlander Season 6 was, originally, set to kick off in May. It was delayed due to the coronavirus pandemic.

This delay means the release of the sixth installment has been pushed back as well. If the fall filming will push through, Outlander Season 6 is most likely to premiere in fall 2021.

Damn pandemic, *sigh*

12. purriwinkle

Some news concerning season 6! I think they’re going to loosely adapt but I picked this up in the article:

With her real-life hair much shorter than the wig she wears to play Claire, Balfe also jokingly hinted that the character might have a new look in Season 6. “Maybe I’ll get a haircut this season, I don’t know,” she said, suggesting that her onscreen husband Sam Heughan could do the honors. “I’ll let Sam do it.”

As a book reader, I think I know what this refers to, and that means (I hope) we’ll be getting some new characters!! We’re gonna get a new family on the Ridge! More dramarama and I can’t wait!

Almost forgot to post the article:rolleyes:

https://deadline.com/2020/08/outlan...e-jamie-brianna-roger-maril-davis-1203006720/

#1052 purriwinkle, Sep 8, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
  13. purriwinkle

Just another article from Town and Country to help pass the time during Droughtlander.

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/leisure/arts-and-culture/a26888592/outlander-season-6/

Here are a couple of things from the article I found interesting:

“Prior to season five, each season of Outlander has been loosely based on one book. But season five has covered storylines from both The Fiery Cross and A Breath of Snow and Ashes.

"Every year we approach it fresh," Moore told EW in March of last year. "Should we keep it a book a season? We’ve done that up until now. But we’ve talked about splitting books, and we’ve talked about combining them. We want to be free in the writers’ room to pick and choose and do what feels most comfortable that year."

So we pure”ists” will have to suck it up, lol...but I imagine the Tom Christie and family story arc should be exciting.

AND

"Claire has still some healing to do," Heughan said in a recent interview, hinting at what's to come for the show. In fact, one of the things Balfe is "looking forward to" in season six is seeing "how the family as a whole unit heal together" following her character's abduction.“

That will be interesting since Claire didn’t quite fall apart in the books if I remember correctly, but you can watch Sam and Cat discuss it in the article.

14. purriwinkle

Sorry, I haven’t been keeping up with this.....been a bit distracted elsewhere, lol, but this is a must read article for those who haven’t read the books. Even if you have, it’s a good reminder of some of the plot arcs that can be pulled from book six, A Breath of Snow and Ashes. We don’t know which of these, hopefully most will make the TV series cut but we’ll find out eventually.

https://www.vulture.com/2020/05/outlander-season-6-breath-of-snow-and-ashes-storylines.html

15. purriwinkle

Pretty much what my books look like.....

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  16. southernlady

southernlady Well-Known Member

Mine are both e-books and audio books!

• Like Like x 1
  17. purriwinkle

Exciting update about season 6

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=132862988776297

Can't wait! The Christie family!!!!! I wonder who they cast for Tom....not sure I've seen it anywhere but will look. Did I see a certain Quaker lass in the picture as well talking to Ian? Good stuff. Also Diana finally finished Bees!!!! More good news. Looking forward to reading the next book.

18. purriwinkle

#1058 purriwinkle, Apr 1, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
  19. southernlady

southernlady Well-Known Member

Looks like the next book will be released in November!! I just pre-ordered mine :)

Dear reader,

People always ask me, “What’s your favorite novel in the Outlander series?” And the answer is always the same: “The one I’m working on.”

Now that Go Tell the Bees That I Am Gone is finished—it’s still my favorite. When a new book comes out, I’m always in love with it; when I get the finished book, hot off the presses, all pristine and new with a lovely cover, I want to read it right away. I carry it around the house with me and take it on errands, fondling it at stoplights. I don’t expect every reader to feel it quite so intensely, but I do hope that you all share my joy in the new book and will spend many happy hours with me in its pages!

#1059 southernlady, Apr 15, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  20. purriwinkle

I haven’t pre-ordered but I will definitely get a copy when they hit the shelves at my closest B&N.

• Friendly Friendly x 1