Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

outlander

Discussion in 'Television Shows' started by fruitfulandgay, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Doodlebug

Doodlebug Active Member

Episode 5 was my favorite of the season so far.

I finished the 9th book just about a month ago and I’m finding myself confusing the show now and what I just read.

I’m assuming no new episode tonight.

2. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

Yeah, they didn’t air an episode on Easter Sunday. I haven’t recapped episode six yet but will do so shortly.

I actually haven’t read Bees yet. I refuse to buy hardcovers anymore, and every time I go to the library it’s checked out but it’s on my to read list. Now you’ve got me intrigued.

3. purriwinkle

Apologies, I'm way behind but anyhoo......here goes

S06E06 The World Turned Upside Down

We start this episode with a missing family from church. Roger says the MacNeil family never misses a Sunday. The Germ Busters (Claire, Bree, Lizzie and Malva), lol, decide to check in on them and they find the worse.

The whole family is down with the "bloody flux" which Claire later diagnoses is dysentery. They've been lying in their waste, dehydrated and some have died or are in the process of dying. The smell alone is enough to knock the women off their feet but they do their best to save those they can through palliative care. Others fall sick and it's an epidemic on the Ridge. Residents are told to boil their water until the men can find the source of the outbreak, which they eventually do....a dead elk in the water up stream.

Claire has been working non stop and during one of the funerals that they are attending, she faints. Jamie carries her back to their home and puts her to bed. She's burning up with fever, chills and in and out of consciousness. Bree, Malva, and Lizzie work round the clock to ease her as best they can, Mrs. Bug and Malva even cut off her hair (when Bree isn't around) in an 18th century effort to bring down her fever. Claire is also having horrible nightmares. She sees a snake, her heart, and Jamie facing a window with Malva putting her hand on his shoulder, which turns out to be more than a fever dream. She does finally come out of it although she's weak. Bree evens out her hacked hair, and Jamie fills her in on what was happening while she was sick. Claire even sneaks out to visit Tom Christie who she finds out was also ill but now recovered. Turns out neither of them had dysentery but both had similar symptoms. She asks him for a stool sample so she can find out what they had but he's naturally scandalized and refuses, then walks her home.

Things seem to be returning to normal when the Christies ride up in their carriage and demand to speak to Jamie. Jamie and Claire let them in and then all hell breaks loose.
    Turns out Malva is pregnant but Tom says she'll only reveal the name of the father to Jamie. Then she names HIM as the father!!!!!! While strains of Billie Jean play in the back ground, JK, lol, Jamie says no way, lass. She goes through the whole why are you doing me like this routine, and tells everyone in the room that she felt so sorry for him while Claire was sick that she let him take her, not once mind you, but many times. It started, she claims, the night she saw him looking out the window and she put her hand on his shoulder. Whoa...Claire is like, WTF? I actually saw that? I thought it was a dream. She gives Malva a well earned slap. Malva only digs in her heels. She says she can even describe the scars on Jamie's body. Looks like she was taking notes when she spied on J&C making love in the stable. Jamie refuses through all this to admit to any wrong doing and he kicks the Christies out of his house.

Later he goes out to talk to Claire who had fled the room. She's upset, of course, but they work through everything. He wants to know if Claire believes that he would cheat on her and she has to admit that she knows deep down he wouldn't. Then, just to clear the air, he tells her of the night before he turned himself into the Red Coats after he had hid in the cave for seven years. Mary MacNabb, brought him supper and stayed the night to give him "something" before he went to prison even though she knew he loved Claire. Claire tells him that that was completely different. She wasn't there and she understands the circumstances under which that occurred. With Malva, there are nothing but questions. Ian confides to Claire that he "lay" with Malva once and that the bairn might be his. Claire tells him Rodger caught her with Obediah Henderson so who knows who Malva might have been with.

Gossip on the Ridge spreads like wild fire, as it does in all small communities, and poor Claire becomes a pariah. Can you beat that? They won't even come to her for healing. On top of that, she keeps having these PTSD episodes featuring Lionel Brown, who keeps throwing all her insecurities back at her. The only way to escape is to ether herself into unconsciousness. She looks out her window and thinks she sees Malva approaching the house. Unwilling to face her, she blacks out on the bed as she thinks she hears Malva knocking on the door. Later, after she comes to, she takes her pruning knife out to the garden to gather some herbs. There laying in her garden is a MURDERED Malva, her throat slit. Ever the doctor, Claire thinks she might be able to save the baby and cuts the kid out of Malva's womb!!!! I knew it was going to happen from the books but seeing it played out on the screen, I was practically screaming....no! no! no! leave it alone!!!!! It's the 18th century!!!!! No luck though. The baby can not be revived.

4. purriwinkle

Images from epi 6

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#1084 purriwinkle, Apr 27, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2022
  5. purriwinkle

6. purriwinkle

S06E07 Sticks and Stones

Oh my. We start out with Malva telling the congregation on the Ridge all about her affair with Himself. Next we cut to Tom and Allen looking at Malva's body in the garden, her unborn baby lying on her abdomen and Claire's bloody hands from the impromptu surgery. He declares his daughter should be buried in the woods and NOT in consecrated ground as is befitting a whore. No, no. Jamie insists she'll not only have a funeral but a decent burial as well. The Christies feel it's probably Claire who killed Malva but she says that she found the girl already dead and tried to save the baby and that's all.

Conspiracy theories abound on the Ridge and Claire is receiving the brunt of the "witch" talk along with "jealous English woman" and any number of wild ideas on Claire's character and what may have happened. They feel Jamie defiled a young innocent girl as well. People go out of their way to avoid them but especially Claire. Ian and supposedly the Beardsley boys, are out scouring the country side looking for clues as to who could have committed this crime. Back at the big house, Rodger and Bree muse as to what Perry Mason would say. Claire retorts that she would be the prime suspect as she had motive, opportunity, and the means to commit the murder.

At Malva's funeral, When Jamie steps forward to be a pall bearer, he has to step back as some of the others reject the offer. Same goes when Claire wants to carry the baby's coffin. Allan snatches it out of her hands and yells that they cost him his sister yet they get to go about their lives as if nothing as happened. uh oh.

Claire is not handling it well at all. She's really spiraling out of control. Jamie happens to see her melting down and comes to her aid. He tells her that she helped him after Wentworth and he'll help her now to sort out these negative feelings that she's drowning in. He assures her that her coming back to be with him which caused some bad things to happen to those she loved, is balanced by all the good she accomplished.

Lizzie comes to Claire to tell her something. She says she tried to talk to her the day Malva died. She knocked and knocked at the door and Claire didn't answer. Ohhhhhh....that's the knocking she thought she heard. Lizzie tells her that she's pregnant and guess who the dad er dads are....The Beardsley's!!! Seems that she started to have one of her malaria incidents and her medicaments had to be rubbed all over her body.. they didn’t want to get that crème on their clothes….uh huh…and so we had a little sexual healing ;) Now to be clear, Lizzie said she was fully consenting and she has feelings for both young men.

When they tell Jamie he practically flips out…like c’mon, aren’t we going through one scandal and now we have another unwed pregnancy? And she’s doing two guys? Holy ménage a trois!!!,
    Well he isn’t having it, he declares Lizzie is going to marry either
    Kensiah or Josiah and the other one is going away. He hand fasts her to Kensiah but later she goes to see Rodger with Josiah who hand fasts them! Ai, yi yi….oh well, she wants them both!

While all this is going on, Rodger tells Bree he thinks he’s found his true calling here in this time period and he thinks he should become a fully ordained minister! Bree says she’ll bite and they’ll leave the Ridge for awhile so he can get his “papers” or degree or whatever he needs to be legit.

After they leave, Jamie and Claire think they can have some couple time when they hear the sound of many horses hooves bringing riders to their home. Lo and behold, it’s that Brown Committee of safety come to arrest Claire for the murder of Malva Christy! Jamie is like hell no, but they’re outnumbered.

7. purriwinkle

Images from Episode 7

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

#1087 purriwinkle, Apr 27, 2022
  8. purriwinkle

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

#1088 purriwinkle, Apr 27, 2022
  9. purriwinkle

@Doodlebug, I just picked up my copy of Bees from the library! What a tome! You said something was confusing you. Ask me in a couple of weeks. I should be done by then.

10. purriwinkle

S06E08 Season Finale (I know too soon) I Am Not Alone

We start with that damn Committee of Safety with Richard Brown at the helm. He claims they've come to take Claire for a fair trial in Salisbury. Jamie is like nope. Not happening. In the meantime Mrs. Bug and Lizzie have run out the back hopefully to get some reinforcements. Claire goes back into the house to get the guns and ammo ready for what they feel is going to be a full scale shoot out. One young man who's full of himself actually gets in the house and you gotta love her, Claire shoots him. Mind you he's not dead but she tells him flat out if he doesn't leave she'll shoot him again. He takes off but the stand off begins.

The CoS peppers the house with bullets and inside, Claire and Jamie are working like a well oiled machine returning fire and so far so good. When night falls, our couple have some interesting conversations, like the time a fortune teller told Jamie he would be like a cat and have nine lives. They try to figure out how many times he's come close to death. Not nine. Neither does it fit what they know about the obituary that they'll burn in a fire. After all, Jamie suggested the CoS might try to smoke them out by setting the house on fire but the dates don't match up.

No reinforcements yet but who does show up? The freaky Fisher Folk with Hiram Crombie acting as spokesman. Seems Richard Brown has asked Crombie to intercede since he's getting nowhere. Jamie and Claire come out on the porch but the conversation devolves into accusations of Claire being a witch. A few stones are even thrown. Some disagree and think Jamie might have killed Malva. Jamie says he won't turn over his wife because this is really about Richard wanting revenge for his brother's death. Hiram suggests that they take them both in, that way Jamie can protect his wife, making sure she gets to the court unharmed.

In the meantime, Jamie's Ardmuir men show up but they're still outnumbered. In order not to get everyone killed, Jamie and Claire decide they'll go with the CoS as long as they're together. Who should then show up? Tom Christy. He tells everyone that he's going along as well to see that no harm comes to the couple after all it's his justice that needs seeking and he won't have a bunch of hot heads deprive him of that trial. He also says there's no reason the couple can't spend the rest of the night in their own bed. They can leave in the morning. He says he'll post a guard and Richard Brown says he'll do the same. Some might find that odd but Tom and Jamie are Lodge Brothers and the fact that they're both Free Masons could very well account for his kindness despite everything. As for Claire, she's been very good to him, doing surgery on his hand and coming to see him after his mysterious illness. While he doesn't condone murder, he also feels his daughter played the whore and was probably asking for it. That night, Jamie and Claire find refuge in each others arms as they really don't know what's going to happen next.

The next day, J &C are confined to travel in the back of a wagon. Tom Christy rides behind.
    As they progress, Brown doesn't miss an opportunity to alert people in the villages they pass through that he's bringing a notorious murdering witch to trial and hanging. In one such community he gets the people so riled up they stone the wagon. The Frasers incur some mild injuries. Jamie, ever true to his word, gives his wife the protection of his body as he tries to shield her from the projectiles. She's no shrinking violet though and punches out some guy who tries to climb into the wagon. The best part is that Brown loses control of his men and he actually gets hit in the face with one of the rocks! Good on whoever threw that one. Tom finally breaks up the riot and disperses the crown by firing his pistol. All along the trail he's been staring at Claire and even makes sure she's fed. Book readers know why, but I'll leave it there.

The CoS finds out that there is no sheriff or judge in Salisbury anymore due to political tensions regarding the Revolution. Brown says they can't take the couple to Cross Creek because Jamie's aunt lives there and they won't get a fair trial. He says they'll press on to Wilmington which is about 200 miles away. Now the men riding with him hadn't signed on for that. They probably thought they were going to ride in, take Claire, hang her and be home in time for supper. There's some grumbling especially after the lad Claire shot initially falls off his horse dead.

Back at the Ridge, Ian returns from hunting and Lizzie tells him what's happened. Ian's not taking that lying down. When the CoS makes it's next stop at a "meat" camp. Jamie is allowed out to take a piss and when he faces the bushes, who does he see? Ian looking back at him. He tells his uncle he has men with him and they only have to say the word and all hell will break loose. He even suggests that they might want to make an escape. Jamie scraps that idea because it will make them fugitives but he tells his nephew to follow close and stay alert if he needs him.

The next day, our couple are told that they're stopping for a water break. They let Jamie out but not Claire. When they get to the well, away a bit from the wagon, the men lay hands on him and make off with Claire. They scream each others names struggling to get free but the men knock Jamie out. Claire is inconsolable but Tom shows up and vows to see her safely to her destination. He tells her that Jamie can look out for himself but he'll need to make sure Brown isn't tempted to attempt some dirty double cross. Claire is worried sick about her husband but she has to admit that Tom is probably right. They arrive at Wilmington which is in a rare state of disruption and she is brought to what serves as the jail. Tom sees Brown take the jailer aside and give him some money so he then in turn gives Claire a small purse for her maintenance. He tells her not to worry for God will protect the righteous out of danger and puts his hand over hers. Hmmmmm.....

When Jamie comes to, he's bound to a stake by the waterside. There's a ship in the distance and Brown’s man is talking to the Captain. The men tell him that he's being shipped back to Scotland where he belongs. Sold into slavery more like it but just in the nick of time, arrows start raining down on that unholy committee. Ian and his fellow Cherokee have come to the rescue. They make short work of everybody except the Capitan who starts swimming back to the ship. With any luck he drowns. With one man standing, who's pointing a gun at Jamie's head, Jamie says something about waiting as he may know where Claire is. Don't worry uncle, SO DO WE and a bullet goes through the guys hand into his head. The Cherokee who shot him tells Jamie, I told you I would fight with Bear KIller. They race off presumably to rescue Claire.

The other story line involved Bree and Roger. We see them as they travel on their way to see Rodger ordained. They have those conversations all time traveling parents have about when to tell your child what he is. Has to be old enough to keep a secret. They have a little nookie in the tent that night just to let us know that they still feel passionately for each other and being a minister for real isn't going to slow his role in bed. Little Jem is such a cutie. He says he loves his new sibling talking into his mam's belly. Then he starts to scratch his head. Bree takes a look and discovers the kid has lice. Oh hell, now they'll have to shave his head. After his hair cut, Bree sees a dark area on his scalp. Alarmed at first, Rodger says it none but a harmless nevus. He has one on his head in about the same spot. They're hereditary. At that moment they look at each other realizing that Jem is no doubt his and not Stephen Bonnets. In solidarity with Jem, he lets Bree cut his hair as well. I must say, the two MacKenzie men look fine with their new dos....father and son.

#1090 purriwinkle, May 3, 2022
    Last edited: May 7, 2022
  11. purriwinkle

Images from episode 8

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#1091 purriwinkle, May 3, 2022
    Last edited: May 3, 2022
  12. purriwinkle

More
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#1092 purriwinkle, May 3, 2022
  13. purriwinkle

[​IMG]
    Twitter@Tiny Tunney

#1093 purriwinkle, May 3, 2022
  14. purriwinkle

[​IMG]
    Twitter@displaceintime

#1094 purriwinkle, May 3, 2022
  15. purriwinkle

[​IMG]
    twitter@TinyTunney

16. purriwinkle

17. purriwinkle

Well, the journey is finally over. I’m not sure why they’re cutting it short cause they’ve got more story from the original source material but that’s show biz I guess. I hope they can pull it together for a satisfactory ending. Maybe they’ll leave room for a future Starz movie when the author finally concludes the series. She writes much faster than Martin so there’s hope this won’t become another GoTs debacle.

18. purriwinkle

Here’s more:

Plus there’s been an announcement of a prequel showing the love story of Jamie’s parents! Very GoTs ish if you ask me.

19. purriwinkle

Well, back after a long hiatus to catch any readers up as to what's happing with our favorite family drama.. Season seven has begun and I'm already behind so without further ado....

S07 E01 A Life Well Loss

We start with a bit of a fake out, Claire swinging on the gallows but it turns out only to be Jamie imagining the worse of what could be going on. He tells Ian that they're going to go get his wife.

Sure enough, Claire is making do at the women's jail. She even has a fairly pleasant cell mate named Sadie who is there cause she's a forger. She tells Claire that the justice system has all but shut down so good luck getting anything that resembles a speedy trial. While there, some British soldiers come looking for the "healer". Seems that the story of Claire's travails have made her somewhat notorious but Sadie tells the red coats that she's the murderess not Claire so off they take Claire to where she knows not. It turns out that the governor and his pregnant wife are hiding off shore in a boat due to anti British sentiment and the Mrs. is somewhat under the weather. Claire is brought to her and even she has heard of the "murderess". Claire assures her that she didn't kill Malva and that she's the best bet the woman has for procuring any medical treatment. She diagnoses the problem and as Claire is wont to do, wins the woman to her side. Mrs. Gov. says she won't mention a thing to her husband.

Ian and Jamie arrive in Wilmington the next day only to find Claire gone. Tom was supposed to be looking after her but let's face it, he couldn't be there 24/7. In the meantime, that little sh*t, Maj. MacDonald arrives on ship and outs Claire to the Gov. He also rubs in the fact that her husband Jamie has seemingly been disloyal to the crown. The Gov. is not amused however he realizes the choices for a new physician are practically nil so he allows Claire to send a letter to shore with all the medicaments she'll need to treat his wife. It must be delivered to Tom Christie and there is one item on the list he won't be able to ignore.

Tom looks over the list after the letter is delivered. There in Latin is the last item, "vir meus" which translates to "my husband". Tom aims to fulfill the request. Jamie rows out to the ship and pleads his wife's case. The Governor says he'll only release Claire if Jamie delivers 200 men from North Carolina who will fight for the British! Riiiiiiight. Never fear though, Jamie tells Claire he'll return.

Back in town, Jamie runs into Tom Christie at a bar throwing back a few.. Tom tells him that he plans to turn himself in as Malva's murderer so Claire will be free to return to her husband. He even asks Jamie what he would say about him in a eulogy since it's most likely he'll never get a proper funeral after they hang him. Jamie gives him a real nice speech which seems to please the guy. It's actually kind of sad as Jamie realizes Tom is in love with Claire and he wants to sacrifice his life for hers. He asks Tom if he really wants to do this and Tom is firm. They row out to the boat together.

Tom wants to tell Claire himself of his intentions and she can't believe her ears. "Are you insane?" she cries. Welll Tom gives her this whole story about how Malva wasn't really his own daughter as his brother fathered the child with his wife when he was away fighting for the Stewarts. She said his wife had been a witch and so was Malva. He even highly suspected that she had tried to kill them both using the medical knowledge she learned from Claire.
    He then confesses that he has fallen in love with her and it's all uncomfortable for Claire who really likes Tom but it's Jamie all the way for her. Tears flow but Tom feels that giving his life for the woman he loves is well worth it. He tells her that he's also given a copy of his confession to the Wilmington paper.

Later when Claire is sent back to shore she tries to fathom it all out with Jamie back in their hotel room. Jamie knows that Tom is in love with her and says he'd do the same thing if he had to. Later when Claire falls asleep, Jamie goes to seek out Richard Brown who seems a bit surprised at first that he's not half way to Scotland. He knows he's in a bit of trouble now and tries to talk Jamie out of what he pretty much knows is going to happen. First he tells Jamie that if anything happens to him there'll be a whole lot of Browns who will come for revenge. Jamie tells him not so much as they're all being massacred by Ian and the Cherokees as they speak. Then Brown tries to tell Jamie that he won't kill him because he's a moral man. Jamie informs him that he's also a violent man whose wife keeps him level and he tried to take his wife from him. We see Jamie go towards Brown and the screen fades to black. We all know that Richard Brown has gone to meet his maker.

20. purriwinkle

Images from Season 7 epi 1

upload_2023-6-29_2-27-15.jpeg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#1100 purriwinkle, Jun 29, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2023