Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Outraged with Season Finale (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Hell On Wheels' started by Rapscallion, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Well-Known Member

So last night I watched the season finale of Hell on Wheels.

When it began with the aftermath of an Indian attack on town, I was expecting some of the supporting characters were killed: Joseph, Ruth, one or both of the Irish brothers, the Swede. Certainly Durant's bitch of a wife would take residence in Boot Hill.

Instead Lily Bell, the one character I hoped wouldn't die, apparently has.

Admittedly, the battle between the railroad and the indians was exciting, but it wound up absurd. Those Irish brothers couldn't fight a cold, but they came out without a scratch. Durant's wife was armed with only a derringer, but she survived. Durant himself spent the episode suffering from his gunshot wound, yet he and his wife ran to safety!

The worst part was when the Swede was dancing through the streets as men fought and died around him.

It would've been perfect if the Swede killed Durant, as Durant humilated his former aide with the lowly job of garbage collector, and Durant's business was literally burning around him. The Swede had also promised Durant's death in the attack. Instead, the Swede strangled Lily, just so Bohannan would suffer.

The Swede also denied Bohannan revenge by leaping to his apparent death from the bridge. But my worry is that the Swede will return, and Lily won't.

Lily was an interesting character; a strong-willed English woman, who found herself a widow on the American West. Lily was independent, and while she made schemes, her schemes were to see the railroad built with as little bloodshed as possible.

But I especially liked Lily's developing relationship with Bohannan, and I was interested in seeing where it would take them.

Now, unless the finale is just a cliffhanger to see if Lily's actually dead, it's never going to happen.

I really got into Hell on Wheels, but I'm outraged with how they ended the season. If Lily's dead, I'm finished watching this show.

2. TNG Cowboy

TNG Cowboy New Member

I doubt the Swede is dead but it definitely seems like Lily is. With how careful Bohannan is you would have thought the Swede would have been in some sort of restraints as they walked across the bridge. He could have easily pushed Cullen over the edge. It was a very poorly prepared attempt to hang the Swede in my opinion.

I agree that Lily was a great character. It would have been a good idea to continue to develop that relationship before killing her off. Missed opportunity. Still the best episode of Hell on Wheels ever in my opinion though.

I have a question... I missed the last two episodes before the finale, so I didn't understand the interaction between Joseph and Bohannan at the top of the hill. Why did Joseph say that Bohannan will never see him again?

3. RicksRightHand

I agree with everything that's been stated already, I had a pit building in my stomach on the lead up to Lily's "death"... I could just feel it happening before it even came. Hopefully she isn't dead but it would take a far amount of explaining to say otherwise.

Mixed opinions on the Swede... should he have been hanged? Yes. Would the show be better/just as good if he was hanged? I'm not really sure. Who would replace the Swede as the main vilain in this show? He's at the heart of almost all the bad that happens in the show and I feel like him turning up in Hell On Wheels in this episode was all part of his own plan.

On an unrelated note, the teaser advert for next weeks season premiere of The Walking Dead got me even more excited for next Sunday! This week is going to drag in, I just know it!

4. Rapscallion

This may seem farfetched, but it's possible to say Lily's still alive.

Remember that the Swede broke his left hand to escape his shackles. That leaves the Swede with little strength for his tortured body to strangle Lily, just render her unconcious.

And this was the Victorian era by way of the American frontier. Women may not of had many rights or opportunity, but they were held in great esteem, even prostitutes were granted some measure of respect. For a man to attack a woman, it would be worse than death from a psychological standpoint.

That said, the assault on Lily was a foolish and horrible way to end the season. The Bohannan/Lily relationship was one of the interesting story arcs for the show, while the story arcs for the supporting characters are either played out or going nowhere.

Lily should survive. The Irish brothers, Joseph and Ruth, and Durant's wife should've died.

#4 Rapscallion, Oct 8, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  5. RicksRightHand

Yeah that's why I wrote "death" in quotation... I would be inclined to agree with what you've speculated. The writers seemed to purposely make it evident that her body didn't burn in the fire that the Swede had set in her trailer, perhaps to leave it open to her returning in Season 3.

6. Rapscallion

Joseph's been regretting his conversion to Christianity since killing his brother (that happened last season) and the mad preacher. Plus Ruth, the mad preacher's daughter has rejected him, despite knowing how mad her father was.

Like I said earlier, the storyline with Joseph and Ruth is going nowhere. They both should've been killed.

#6 Rapscallion, Oct 8, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  7. supmyman7

supmyman7 Member

I wish Joseph died. He's useless. It sucks Lily is gone but hoping for a third season.