Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Ozark

Discussion in 'Television Shows' started by Lindigo, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

Original Netflix series about a money manage who is actually a money launderer trying to get right with the Mexican cartel. Eccentric and darkly funny characters and situations.

2. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

Sounds a little like Breaking Bad.

3. Lindigo

Yep. They always need to pull off just one last brilliant scheme to keep themselves safe from the "real" criminals, and then they will be able to escape back to normal family life.... but, oops....

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

I've got this show in my queue. I'm gonna watch it once I'm done with my 8th marathon of The Office.

5. Lindigo

Oooh, good! I think you will really like it. I kept trying to type out a simple example of what happens, and then I would erase it because it would be too much of a spoiler of a delicious plot explosion down the line.

6. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

Alright.... I spent the weekend watching way too much TV. I got through 10 episodes and I really like this show.

However, I know a lot of people who have compared it to Breaking Bad and well.... No!

Sure, there's some Breaking Bad-esque elements to this show, like the Mexican cartel, serious crimes and some weird social dynamics, but that's about it. This show is a very good show, but it's not as gripping and quite as nuanced as BB was.

A lot of things regarding the plot on Ozark seem rushed as well. They've been in the Ozarks for 3-4 months and they're already running several businesses and forming all of these shady partnerships, etc. That's a lot moving and shaking going on for that short of a time period.

If I moved to the Ozarks, I'd still be trying to find where I packed my underwear after 4 months. Just sayin.

There's other questionable aspects about how the show was written as well. But the overall plot/concept is great. The acting is great.

• Like Like x 1
  7. jiggeryqua

jiggeryqua Active Member

We had similar weekends, It's no BB, not by a long chalk, there's relatively little artistry in it and though there's a good cast, none of them are a patch on BB's. It's the writing, as you say - it's a gripping yarn, but that's about all. There's no subtext, so the actors can only go so far.

I'm in for the long haul, though. I was prepared to accept his rapid rise on the local scene, until you mentioned it - but thinking more about it now, he's turned up in a rural community with a serious amount of money, it's no surprise he's been ushered through to the high rollers' tables.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

That's another thing that maybe you were able to articulate better than I was able to... The artistry and subtext behind the situations.

There's maybe 3 character's that have really fascinated me, and that's Ruth, Jonah and Jacob. There's just something about each of their very flawed and complicated characters that I truly enjoy. They have a depth that makes me really enjoy their scenes. Especially Ruth.

She's calculating, conniving, she can be mean, she's total white trash, and she's got a bunch of other bad qualities. While at the same time, she's loyal, is willing to work hard, cares deeply for those she loves, and she is very smart.

Jacob is more of a minor character of sorts, but I just like his style. He's got this kind of Southern version of Russell Crow vibe about him. The actor did a great job in Westworld as well.

Jonah is great because he's so strange. He's doing weird shit, but has good reasons for it. No one gets what he's doing or why. He could wind up becoming one of the most wonderful people on planet Earth, or he'll be involved in unspeakable acts of evil. It could go either way. lol

The other characters kind of bore me sometimes though. Charlotte is annoying. Wendy has no redeemable qualities as far as I'm concerned. Marty is too mechanical at times. Darlene is just straight up cray-cray. Wyatt is boring. The FBI guy, Petty, has a great backstory, but he's an over the top jerk. Aside from his struggles with his mom, he has no redeemable qualities.

I guess that's why I don't see this on the same level as Breaking Bad. The writers/actors on that show made it to where fans found something likable about every character.

9. Lindigo

I binge watched and now I don't remember which names go with some of the characters. But RUTH is FANTASTIC for all of the reasons you listed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

She's so adorable! I say that knowing she's a fictional character. I would be scared to death of her if she were in my life. lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Lindigo

LOL

12. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

@Stealth have you watched this series? We seem to be kindred spirits of sorts when it comes to movies and tv shows. I am curious to get your take on this show if you've watched it.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Stealth

I haven't yet, but it's one on my list to get to eventually. So much I want to see right now, including a rewatch of Game of Thrones before the final season So it's probably going to take me awhile.

14. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

I gotta get my GoT marathon on too. I might wait until early next year for that. Not sure. I'm juggling a re-watch of that or Breaking Bad right now.

I just plowed through The Office for the.... I dunno... 8th time. So now it's time for me to get serious. lol

15. Stealth

Tentatively looking at November through early next year for the Game of Thrones rewatch. Want to take my time with that one and not do a full binge, although it's been so long since I've seen the early seasons that it could take on a momentum of their own.

Haven't watched too much else recently. Marathons are saved until after baseball season is over.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Stealth

Finally got around to watching this show. The first season was enjoyable. As Season 2 progressed though it got worse and worse. They completely jumped the shark and lost all credibility when they had the failed hit on the Snells. The cartel wouldn't miss. The driver wasn't even killed. How ridiculous.

Right now I'm 3 episodes into the third season. I've considered quitting it, but I'm just taking it slower instead for now. I'm mildly intrigued by the whole angle of Marty working with the FBI. Ruth is the only decent character. Most of the others are sociopaths. Wendy is the worst of the worst. Her whole angle of working around Marty with the cartel is idiotic and puts her entire family in jeopardy.

I don't understand why this show has received so much acclaim. The writing isn't very good.

You also don't feel anything for these characters. I despised the FBI guy, so you would think his death would be a high point, but he was killed by Ruth's terrible father. I was actually disgusted by that whole scene.