Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Palm Springs

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Morgotha, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

O.k., the biggest thing about this movie isn't the movie itself, but the fact that we saw it at a drive in theater! These are still open during the pandemic, and it was quite an interesting experience. In a movie theater, once the movie starts, in general people sit down, are relatively quiet, and watch the movie. At the drive in though, there were a significant number of people walking around *all the time*, people out drinking and talking the entire time without even watching the movie, driving in to the theater, leaving the theater... it felt like I was trying to watch a movie while sitting on an anthill, which was an experience in itself. I was a bit disappointed in the quality of the picture. I had hoped that this being 2020 they'd have some digital, maybe LED based projector that would make the picture really bright and "pop", but it seems that they were still using the same 60 watt bulb they used in 1950 to project the film. Oh well. On the plus side, they broadcast the sound through an FM channel, so you could use your car radio rather than the old speaker-on-a-post thing that never worked well. This system also allowed people to bring radios and sit outside their cars on lawnchairs if that was their desire. Neat.

Overall, I think the drive-in was a fun experience, and the environment is more of a combination of a movie and an open-air music festival atmosphere than people there to actually watch a movie. I wouldn't be disappointed if I didn't go back, but it was fun.

On the movie itself, Palm Springs is like Groundhog Day with more "adult" situations and less humor. It is the wedding day of the older sister of the female lead, with the male lead being a guest of a guest. The male lead, Andy Samberg has been reliving the day of a wedding many times, and is burnt out about it, and does his share of acting bored and cynical with everything. The wedding party puts up with his antics more so than is normal, but you just kind of go with it. He's given up trying to get out of the endless loop of the day, and now just drinks his way through an unending life.

The female lead Cristin Milioti appears and falls for the male lead after he saves her at the wedding toast. You have to just go with it and not ask too many questions, but the big thing is that he ends up getting her caught in the time loop as well, and it seems like a VERY good setting for a romance, as being trapped with someone in a setting like that would soon lend itself to you knowing each other intimately. As opposed to Nyles who seems to be content to drink his way through the unending day, Sarah is desperate to get out of the loop. There's the usual romance ups and downs BIG SPOILER AHEAD but then we find out that the reason Sarah was so depressed and desperate to get out of the loop is that she slept with her sister's husband to be the night before the wedding and keeps waking up in his bed every day on the day of her wedding! So, yes, at this point we understand why she feels like such an awful person, but from my POV, she feels like an awful person because she IS an awful person! How could she do that to her own sister and to herself? The movie for me never really recovers from this for me.

It does eventually come to an end, though, but if you are going to rent a movie of this nature, Groundhog Day would be a better use of your time.

2. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

I wanted to rent this on Amazon and it was $20 so my cheap side kicked in... maybe when the price goes down. :p I suppose if you look at it like a movie ticket, $20 isn't so bad if you have a few people watching.

I agree about the drive-in... it's a fun atmosphere but I would never go there when I want to pay attention and listen to the movie word for word. Last summer I went with my daughter and a couple of other people to a drive-in to see the newer Lion King & Aladdin back to back. It was not only loud with people walking around in front of us, but the speakers weren't working well and the radio station didn't get clear reception. After a while I just gave up and went with it. My daughter was the reason for the movie choice anyway, and she was too busy dancing and digging around in the dirt. :confused: So i kicked back in my chair with a beer. lol

• Like Like x 1