Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Part of the Governor in us all?

Discussion in 'Episode 308 - Made To Suffer' started by jsharp1982, Dec 4, 2012.

1. jsharp1982

jsharp1982 Member

OK. Having followed TWD from the beginning (never read the comics, this is purely about the TV show), I am wondering who would agree and who wouldn't agree that there maybe something of the Governor in all of us?

Picture my situation:-

I am a happily married guy with 3 great kids and mid level job that pays well but does not inspire me. I love my family very much but suffer from the same monotony as a lot of people, i.e get up, go to work, come home, have dinner, shower, bit of TV, bed, do it all again (the exception being the weekend of course).

Now imagine the ZA. You wake up one morning and find that your wife took this kids shopping, and that the world outside is going to hell. Your phone rings and it's your wife telling you they cannot get out from where they are, you hear glass breaking and then your family screaming. The phone goes dead.

You are alone and everything you love has been taken away in a 30 second phone snapshot.

Cut to 12 months later. You have survived alone, killed hundreds of walkers in doing so and maybe a couple of humans to protect your ammo and supplies they were going to take before killing you.

You meet a group of people (weaker than you) and lead them on through all of the dangers and keep them alive. Said group gets larger and eventually you find a place that is fortifiable. 6 months later, you have a township of 100 people and are living a normal life.

Outside of this town, we all know bandits will continue surviving and looting and killing and you do not want that to happen. Would you not see outsiders as a threat and try to combat the problem? I mean let's face it, Woodbury would never be able to keep growing until Woodbury was the USA, maybe this is as good as it will get?

I just kinda think that there is part of the Governor in all of us. Let's remember that the rules of the old world are gone. Not saying I agree with everything he has done, but I think we would all become "morally flexible" in the ZA.

2. jsharp1982

jsharp1982 Member

Any thoughts?

3. Zombie Guts

Zombie Guts Member

Yah anyone can potentially break from their "civilized" personality into different types of survival personalities, especially if you lose your loved ones.

4. Axel

Axel Well-Known Member

I agree... for one - I have some fish tanks full of heads in my study. I thought I was being unique - obviously setting a trend now though.

In all seriousness though I get what your saying but I'm not sure If I would agree that atleast, I - have a little of the Governer in me. I'll come back to this one after more thought...

5. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Bad things happen to good people..

My Grandfather spent 5 years in New Guinea in WW2, he saw the worst that humans do to each other and the surviving troops barely survived.. Disentry, no food, mallaria, friends blown apart or Eaten by the japanese..

Some of these men returned home broken and no able to function in society again, the majority did function again..

The Governor is a coward, he was like that before the ZA..

Rick never dealt with issues, so he's not going to deal with his issues in the ZA either..

What ever you core beleif's are, that's who you will always be irrespective of a ZA occuring..

6. DeafManWalks

DeafManWalks Member

I'm more of a Dale kind of guy. I'll fight not to lose sight of the good within people and the potential for altruism. I would have welcomed the National Guard and the Survivor to fortify Woodbury.

7. DeafManWalks

DeafManWalks Member

Being a cop, Rick would have saw a lot of bad and developed a way to compartmentalize it as many first responders do. It probably helped him cope during those first few days after waking in the hospital. His time with Morgan and son offered a buffer for him to absorb what had happened and developed an internal mission to find his family and a way to survive.

8. rabscuttle1

rabscuttle1 Well-Known Member

I disagree. An apocalypse would change everyone but not everyone would go insane. Every day there are people that lose everything and carry on.

9. zombie_ninja50

I think you're right. we are all capable of going insane. However i think the Gov's sociopathic side was pretty dormant until michonne killed penny (which was way over the top, and didn't make sense) I think he genuinely loved woodbury & did the things he did for the town. Plus the man's a freaking bad ass

10. DeeLaurean

DeeLaurean Well-Known Member

Andrea had a bit of the governor inside her.