Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Penny Dreadful

Discussion in 'Horror TV Shows' started by shanewalking, Jan 19, 2014.

1. rabscuttle1

rabscuttle1 Well-Known Member

John Clare has been wronged, and he's allowed that to fill him with despair and hate, which in turn has led to self loathing. I can relate.

2. LMT

LMT Member

The finale was fantastic. Sad to see them each alone...I can't wait to find out what brings them back together.
    Damn it though!!Why must I be in love with series where there are so few episodes between SO MANY MONTHS! Ugh.

3. STRINGS

STRINGS Well-Known Member

I really do like this show, and give it 4.5 jack-in-the boxes (out of 5)...'cause Eva Green is da bomb & Billie Piper ain't bad on the eyes either (she's much better in this than 'Dr. Who' for sure)!! Next to last show in S2 was pretty lame, but the finale rebounded nicely. I would have given it a 5, but that little dweeb Dorian Gray gets on my last F'N nerve with his smirky, horse tooth grin!!

4. fylimar

fylimar Active Member

Did anyone else think 'Nemo' when some of the characters left by ship? I hope, he and the Nautilus will be introduced next season. They would make a great addition.
    I'm a litlle sad, that Sembene died, but maybe, we haven't seen teh last of him, something tells me, that Malcolm is not going to Africa with him to bury him there... Well I try to stay postive about that, Sembene is one of my favourites.
    The other one is John Clare - I really love how he was trying to connect with people. His friendship with Vanessa was very sweet. And I'm curious, what will happen with Dorian. He alwys seems too nice, compared to his book counterpart. I guess he will get a villain arc followed by a redemption arc next season.
    I was very surprised by Eva Green and Josh Hartnett. They were never among my favorite actors, but they both do terrific jobs here. I was not even horrified by their blooming relationship (I so hate love stories) - it was like two tortured souls trying to find some peace.

5. LMT

LMT Member

6. LMT

LMT Member

One more week to go!

7. LMT

LMT Member

Dracula at last!!

8. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

Enjoyed the premiere. Could watch a full hour of what's going on with Vanessa alone. Eva Green does an amazing job in her role.

The only thing I thought was far fetched was John Clare walking home from that ice bound ship.

Liked that they're working some new elements in. The new character who is now traveling with Malcolm back to New Mexico is interesting.

9. EvilDeadJ

EvilDeadJ Member

Eva Green is not only hot shes an amazing actress... the premiere wasnt bad. So now the first season's antagonists or villains were vampires correct? and I assumed they were under control of Dracula. but they never mentioned it. I also assumed the second season departed from the vampires and focused on witches that worshipped satan and demons. The demon that wanted vanessa from the second season wasn't satan per se but a demon? so I guess the third season goes back to the vampires controlled by Dracula?

10. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes, I thoroughly enjoyed the premiere as well! Eva is just so convincing!!

I did like the flashbacks John Clare had on the ship though!

11. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

I watched season 1 so long ago have forgotten more than I remember. I did not watch it (season 2) until just prior to season 3 premier

Finally watched season 3 premier last night. Really enjoy this show. Intrigued to learn more about the man who will bring Malcolm to America. I liked the introduction of Dr. Jekyl. And I just have to say that the crawling Dracula minions were creepy as hell.

12. LMT

LMT Member

Very!!

This season seems to be very promising.

13. Stealth

Yes, we had vampires in Season 1, but this is the first time we've been introduced to Dracula. So it appears as if they're going to expand on that whole story. With the way things are going though, and with Malcolm and Ethan in America my guess is that the whole Dracula story will continue into next season too.

14. Stealth

I liked the flashbacks too. Him walking from the ship on the ice though was the one thing in the whole episode I had a difficult time with though.

15. EvilDeadJ

EvilDeadJ Member

Would love to see them somehow bring in Le Fanu's work into the show, Fanu another great horror writer from the 1800s... as well as somehow incorporate Edgar Allen Poe into the show if they havent already

16. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Vanessa!!! What did you do !!

17. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

First off the house of mirrors scene was very unnerving for me. It had me feeling very claustrophobic and I have no doubt that if I were in a room full of mirrors and not able to find my way out I would be screaming like bloody hell for someone to help me. It seriously had my heart beating ninety to nothing. Add to that the tall skinny minion that has been giving me the heebie jeebies for a couple of weeks now confronting Vanessa in that damn room of mirrors. It is a wonder I was able to sleep afterward

The story line that I am not enjoying, do not find interesting up to this point, is the one involving Dorian/Lily and now Justine. Maybe down the line it will have a bit more meat to it, but as of this last episode it just felt out of place and disjointed from the other stories taking shape.

18. EvilDeadJ

EvilDeadJ Member

Totally agree about Dorian/Lily. The only progression I look forward to when it comes to their story arc, is whatever leads to their brutal deaths.

19. Stealth

The whole buildup with Dorian/Lily is more for future seasons. I see them as perhaps the final challenge for our group. Although we will get the whole detour with Victor trying to save Lily. Don't think that effort will end well though.

Overall the separation of the main cast in their own separate stories is working for me this season. I was never that interested in John Clare and now I'm completely onboard with that arc.

20. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

I hope you are correct about the Dorian/Lily arc.

John Clare - He is the character that I feel most drawn to. I agree that up until this season his story was not one of many layers. With that said, I still felt drawn to him and I think a great deal of that draw had to do with the actor's portrayal of the character. Often I "get" what the actor is trying to share but it is less often that I actually FEEL what the actor is trying to share. A fine line perhaps, but still not one that I find myself crossing over all that much. With this gentleman/actor, he yanks me across that line each and every time he is on screen. The sadness surrounding him is tacit, and those moments with Vanessa - well those are just beautiful.