Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Penny Dreadful

Discussion in 'Horror TV Shows' started by shanewalking, Jan 19, 2014.

1. LMT

LMT Member

Agreed.

2. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

The last episode, Blades of Grass, oh my gosh - these two characters/actors punched me in the gut this week. What a dark, sad, beautiful episode!

And although she was not in the episode all that much my virtual hat is off to Patti Lupone - she is always perfection in each role she tackles. Love her.

3. LMT

LMT Member

Amazing episode.

4. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

Riveting episode. So far the season has been very well done.

5. TGO

TGO Well-Known Member

This show is poetry.

6. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

I think episode 7 may be my favourite episode! Loved the Western shoot out ending!

7. Stealth

I haven't seen the most recent episode yet, but I didn't post last week after episode 6. I thought the elements from Ethan's past were worked in well, how he traded one evil the army, for another the Apaches. Strong scene where his father brought him to the place where his family was slaughtered, still untouched from that day.

In the past Showtime has had a history of shows starting well, but getting weaker as they go on. I feel it's just the opposite with Penny Dreadful. Great stuff.

8. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Have finally watched the latest two episodes. Getting rid of cable and finding other sources to watch my shows has been a lesson in patience....

That scene with Ethan and his father in the chapel where Ethan's family was killed....I take back all the hateful things I have ever said about Josh Hartnett prior to this series.

Hecate - good riddance, now if only there would have been a way for you to take Lily and Justine with you! A couple of weeks ago I would have included Dorian in that bit of wishful thinking but based on previews for the next episode I think that he will be very helpful in aiding Dr. Frankenstein with the Lily problem. So I will give him a pass on my "wishful ways to be rid of the Lily/Dorian/Justine caper" for the time being.

I enjoyed the direction that was taken for Sir Malcolm in these last episodes. That he came to the defense of Ethan and then by being the person who saves Ethan from his father. Timothy Dalton/Sir Malcolm climbed a few rungs on the my favorite Penny Dreadful character ladder.

Not enough of John Clare for my liking - but then again it has become clear to me that I would probably find it mesmerizing just listening to Rory Kinnear read from the phone book.

And Miss Ives - honestly what more can be said about this character and Eva Green. She is perfection in her delivery of Vanessa.

9. Stealth

Glad they've wrapped up the story in America with Ethan's father. Liked Malcolm insisting that Ethan is good and that he believed in him. This show has quickly become one of my favorites. Since it follows Game of Thrones on Sundays I don't watch it then. Usually too distracted after seeing GOT and I like to have the time to absorb this show fully. At the beginning I was really just interested in Vanessa's character. That's what got me hooked, but now I'm really interested in all of the stories.

10. TGO

TGO Well-Known Member

What the ever-living shit did I just watch?

11. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

I have yet to watch last night's episode AND now I am going to watch the clock click slowly by throughout the day waiting for that moment I can bolt from work, drive home and watch the ep to find out if your "what the ever-living shit did I just watch?" is a an exclamation of shock and greatness or an exclamation of now feeling as though your entire evening was ruined due to a bullshit episode.

12. TGO

TGO Well-Known Member

Well, as a warning; I offer you the following. The episode was definitely enjoyable to say the least and it doesn't beat around the bush. It's simply that there's a distinct lack of Vanessa until the final act of the finale, several plotlines are left without being tied up as neatly as I'd hoped and there's not a great deal of fear in regards to the fate of our main characters in the big finale.

That's all there really is to say. I think if we'd been given one final season to give a more satisfying end to a series like this which prides itself on it's own slow-burning, poetic nature; then we'd have had a near-perfect series. John Logan reportedly only found out the series was cancelled midway into filming, though. So it's understandable that a lot of the stories we got were rushed to finish.

13. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Logan says it was his decision to end the series at season 3, but I don't buy it. Too many loose ends and the second half of the season felt quite rushed. :(

14. Stealth

I haven't seen it. Maybe tonight. Was really looking forward to it too. Damn.

15. Stealth

Great. With all the other trash that Showtime has churned out they decide to cancel such a good show.

16. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Yep! Showtime will no longer be a part of my channel line up

17. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes, I'm cranky about this too.

Every 'thinking' show that actually has some substance gets cancelled, and the brain decay shows remain ffs!

18. Stealth

What bothers me the most about it is how they killed it off. They should have at least given the creators of the show the chance to end the story in a final season. I didn't even realize it was canceled until recently, but to make them aware of it when they were almost done with Season 3 is ridiculous.

They were building up the whole Dorian Gray story to be something bigger and then just had to abruptly end it. And actually all the stories felt rushed. Can't blame the writers though because they didn't have a choice. Not going to commit to another Showtime series ever again.

19. TGO

TGO Well-Known Member

Showtime still has some decent shows, but nothing to the level of Penny Dreadful. Not as far as I'm aware at-least. And if I'm being completely honest, the finale is actually still a better conclusion than many shows get, because at-least it made some bold moves and didn't go for the typical happy ending that you would get in stories such as this.

It's a piece of Gothic literature, so the heartbreaking losses are to be expected. However, Dorian, Jekyll and Dracula's stories were not wrapped up in the slightest. And what on earth was the point of Catriona? Ethan, Sir Malcolm and Mr Claire's endings were fine in the sense that Ethan / Malcolm finally accepted each other in a Father and Son way. They came to terms with what was being built up since early in Season One. Mr Claire finally got some closure on his identity and those he loved. Now he can actually move forward with creating a new life without interruption from the past.

Lily and Victor are sort-of wrapped up, but not as well. Both were reminded of their humanity and who they should be, as opposed to the monsters that they had become. Victor was finally able to let go of her and remind himself that she can be her own person. Which is something he has not been able to do thus far.

20. Stealth

It's not the losses that bothered me, but the rushed nature of the ending after watching this for three seasons. I don't blame the writers. They did the best they could on short notice. I'd say Showtime could have given them more shows to wrap it up in properly, but they probably would have needed another 6 episodes with the type of pacing we've seen on the show previously.