Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Penny Dreadful

Discussion in 'Horror TV Shows' started by shanewalking, Jan 19, 2014.

1. fylimar

fylimar Active Member

I was sad, that Penny Dreadful ended so sudden. I can't believe, that was planned from the beginning. I liked the last episode, but I would have liked to see some ending for Dorian and Jekyll/Hyde and some of the other characters. Dorian didn't make sense to me, the way, his story progressed through the three seasons, there is something missing - and I don't necessarily mean, that he should team up with Murray & Co - he is too self absorbed for that (even Lilys freedom fight left him bored, bloody as it were).
    And I would love to see, what happend to Jekyll - will he succumb to his dark side or not.
    And the new girl, is she from another time? She felt a bit too modern - they did a good job to try to create an authentic victorian flair, but her way of speaking was wrong, the things she said - all that seem to suggest to a time traveller or something like taht. Would have been a nice storyline.

Vanessa was a valid point to the show, but I think, they could have moved on without her. The cast was very strong - all of them, even Dorian (the actor is great, they should just give him better plots), they could have go on without Vanessa. It would have changed the shows focus, but I guess it could have worked.
    At teh very least, a final movie would have been nice to wrap up teh still open plot lines. And I could have done with a happy ending for poor John Clare.

2. RicksdaMan

RicksdaMan Active Member

I've always wanted to watch this show and the current hiatus provided the opportunity. Last year I was surprised when I heard that the show was suddenly coming to an end. But, after watching season 2 and 3 I understand why the decision was made.

S2 wasn't that bad but it was dragged out and the extra 2 episodes wasn't needed to show the weakness that would eventually become S3. What utter rubbish that was.

- I loved Dorian's character but Lily's storyline was simply ridiculous. They should've made John kill her
    - I loved the actor who played Dr. Jekyll - too bad we did not get to see Mr. Hyde.
    - Since when do vampires have the ability to walk in daylight and die by gunshots to the head and back? I understand Dracula having none of the known vampire weakness - but not his minions.
    - The character of Catriona Hartdegen wasn't needed and the actress was miscast for the role. But, I guess they wanted someone younger than Lyle to do the physical scenes
    - Keeping Hecate's character in the mix was dumb

My favorite character was Caliban/John Clare. Dude (actor & character) was a breath of fresh air.

Favorite episodes 103 and 203.

Overall, it was a okay series. But season 3, and some aspects of 2 would never make it great.

• Like Like x 1