Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Pilot- Rate the Damn Episode.

Discussion in 'Episode 101 - Pilot' started by Neuropyramidal, Aug 23, 2015.

1. No.Pantaloons

No.Pantaloons Well-Known Member

I'll give it a solid 7/10.

The acting is good. They may have better overall acting than the main series. Granted the families are fragmented, but I'm not really getting much chemistry between them. Perhaps it'll get better over time.

I'm not crazy about the overall "look" of the show. Like the main series after the first season or so, it lacks that good cinematic quality camerawork. It's not bad by any means, but it is very by the numbers ho-hum average.

The pacing was a bit uneven and perhaps slow. It isn't like a "slow burn" where all the moments and details will lead up to some incredible climax. We know roughly what the climax is, and the setup isn't really intriguing.

The Nick character was alright. It could've been a serious disaster. I did think he should've been more torn up and hesitant against killing and putting down his dealer (Calvin?). I know he had seen some stuff up close, but he doesn't know all the details about what's going on. He is not a bad person and should've been more apprehensive about going overkill on this guy.

The kids overall weren't bad, it wasn't TWD 90210 as some were worried about. Though the father's son from his first marriage was giving off some serious teen angst.

The acne-faced knife carrying kid who seemed to know a bit about what was going on was annoying. I guess he's supposed to be a manifestation of the viewer and our thoughts; I hope the creators didn't consider him a manifestation of what the average TWD viewer looks like :Grin:. I'll assume he'll get more irritating as he lectures the other characters all he knows on how to survive the ZA.

It wasn't a great pilot, but there is pretty good potential.

2. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Member

I enjoyed the episode, although I did feel it was slightly dragged out. Nevertheless, seeing Elizabeth Rodriguez from Orange is the New Black was a fantastic surprise: sadly I think Liza will die however. I'm looking forward to seeing what goes down in the second episode. I find the outbreak is always the most exciting part of the apocalypse, as a viewer. 7/10 from me.

3. mtito914

mtito914 Active Member

Agreed. This was good but seemed to have a very generic Zombie show feel to it.. So let's see what happens, either way I'm all in..

4. Elly F.

Elly F. Member

I'm going with a solid 8.5, early development was a good sign for me. I also like the care in the lil details they took. I like that every time the phone rang, I could feel a mothers fear. There's a bit of mystery and suspense I wasn't expecting. im looking forward to Sunday.

5. WalkerSlayer

WalkerSlayer Member

I say 8.5-9 out of 10. It's an origin series, and the premiere, so I assumed it would be on the slow side. I think Nick is going to be my favorite character. Poor guy, detoxing during an apocalypse! If he doesn't die, it will be great to see who he turns into, I'm hoping for a leader.

I liked the suspense, and I also liked how they portrayed Nick, how everyone doubted him, and like he was nuts, which would be how it would go down in real life. Also the little things, like the progression to the empty playground, etc. I thought Travis rolling up into the shooting gallery was nuts, regardless of walkers or not.

Also, Nicotero's work with both Gloria, and then Calvin was great! I definitely found myself yelling, "Don't Git Bit" during the Calvin tunnel scene.

Overall I think it was a pretty solid start for a new series. It got a bit of hate on the internet, but so did the original until the last couple of seasons when it blew up. Looking forward to what's to come!

6. rabscuttle1

rabscuttle1 Well-Known Member

7. Ricktatorship80

9/10
    I loved the slow burn of the premiere.

8. Znuts

Znuts Member

I would rate this episode 8.5/10.

To me, the creators delivered on what they promised. We are getting to see the 3 weeks of the apocalypse while Rick is in his coma. It is interesting to finally get to see this aspect of the show. I feel there are some good actors on this show and the main characters gave me a reason to tune in next week. The pacing was slow, but deliberate and something that I can see quickly picking up over the course of the season. In all, I greatly enjoyed this episode and can't wait to see Nick's withdrawals next week.

9. Bettie

Bettie Active Member

I liked it. 8 maybe 9 of 10, a little slow, but a solid beginning.

I'll be interested to see how things unfold.

10. Zvivor

Zvivor Well-Known Member

The opening scene with Nick was awesome. Terrific acting, tight, suspenseful. After that, the show slowed down a lot, until the end. It wasn't tightly woven -- like where did the blonde walker go? The church door was closed, nobody saw a blood-smeared walker in the streets? Where did the body of "they were all dead" go? Do you expect that one walker ate all of them skeletons and all (granted, one walker munched down all of Lori, but multiple bodies? I really got bored after Nick got out of the hospital with all the teen-aged angst, family blah-blah, character building with no content. Rating 5-6/10. That said, I'll watch the next episode.

11. Lars

Lars Member

A Solid 7.5/10.

The acting was good, but it was very slow. The ending was good and powerful, so that gave me good hopes for the next episode.

12. utgard14

utgard14 Member

7. The acting was fine I guess but I'm not really liking anybody so far. It's just a matter of who I dislike the least and that's not a good start. The pace was also frustratingly slow and none of the zombie stuff (what little there was) was impressive. It's missing something special, some kind of hook that makes it memorable. I figured that would be a problem when they first announced it would be set in LA. I mean, so much stuff is set in LA that it doesn't feel unique at all. I always liked TWD's ruralness (is that a word?) because you don't see that all over TV and the movies. It stood out, for that reason and others. This show doesn't have anything like that so far. And the theme music isn't a big deal but it's yet one more thing about the show that is forgettably generic. I'll keep watching, of course, but I'm underwhelmed. Hopefully it picks up.

#52 utgard14, Aug 24, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  13. Shadow

Shadow Member

9, great pilot, but can always get better.

14. Emdier

Emdier Well-Known Member

I would give it a 6/10.

When I compare it to "Days Gone By", this does not even come close to comparing (DGB is still my second favorite episode of TWD just behind No Sanctuary).

I realize there is character building that needs to be done, but just the first scene with Shane and Rick talking in the police character immediately made me like them. It was a simple guy talk, but already within minutes, I was invested.

In this, I don't even honestly remember any of the characters beyond Nick, and he annoyed the living hell out of me the entire time. The blonde mom was annoying and the daughter was not really annoying, but nothing special either. The husband and the kid with the knife was really the only cast member so far that I liked.

However, it fills the void until Walking Dead starts, so it'll do. I didn't expect the second coming of Walking Dead, but a distraction until I get to see what Team Rick is up to.

15. WhatThe...

WhatThe... Member

I liked it... a lot. I found some dialogue kind of awkward but the rest of the acting and character build up more than made up for it. As for there not being enough zombie action (my 14 yo son felt this way:zombies_blush:), we got zombie action in the first few minutes! There were a few twists, I didnt forsee Calvin being a drug dealer. It was kind of annoying going back and forth to the church. I have a feeling the authorities are trying to hide whats going on but it obviously gets out of control. What did happen to the dead people at the church, funny how Travis says 'They didnt just get up and walk away'. :zombies_lol:... thinking about it, the worst thing in their world is the fact that Nick has a heroin problem. Completely absorbed in their personal problems.

I thought it was excellent, cant wait to see how it all pans out.

16. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Its strange that the walkers disappeared. The building had fences around it, and Travis had to climb in through the window onto the toilet, so it must not have been easy to enter and exit.

17. WhatThe...

WhatThe... Member

yeah, this is why Im thinking the authorities knew about it somehow and cleared it out in an attempt to 'contain' the 'situation'.

Also, did Maddie get bit?

Also... just watching it for the second time... I think Id be completely, utterly and 100% totally freaked out if I were Maddie and Travis in the last scene. They were just like 'what is happening?' 'I have no idea'. Im pretty sure Id be a complete basket case in a situation like that. Ya know, like when Travis goes into the church and puts his hand in the blood, jeffing gross man! Id be like 'What the flipping heck man' Id probably swear actually but, Im not going to here. Id want blood tests and again, Id be flipping the flip out! He's just like 'something bad happened there'.

Soz [MENTION=7785]Neuropyramidal[/MENTION], I was editing when you posted a reply.

#57 WhatThe..., Aug 25, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  18. Neuropyramidal

No, Maddie wasn't bitten, it was just a close call.

That thought crossed my mind too, about the authorities clearing it out, but it doesn't really fit the timeline. Travis visited the church the day before the incident in the street with all the cops shooting that walker. And those cops were reacting as if they had no idea what was going on. They didn't know where to shoot it, and nobody was apparently taking any precautions about not getting bitten while he was being strapped to the stretcher. So it seems the police were not aware of what was going on, at least not in any organized way, at the time the walkers vanished in the church.

19. WhatThe...

WhatThe... Member

yeah, I see what you mean.

So, what happened?

20. Neuropyramidal

In reality I think what probably happened is that the writers just didn't think about where they might have gone or how they exited the building. They just needed them to exit the building so they weren't there when Travis came by. But we could say that they wondered into the basement, or perhaps that pale faced junkie that Travis ran into managed to close a door and lock them in a room when they followed him, or maybe he even killed them in some other room. :)