Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Pirates....already?

Discussion in 'Episode 201 - Monster' started by Mother dick, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Mother dick

Mother dick Member

I mean...society has barely started to fall apart. The vast majority of survivors are just barely scraping by. And while I don't doubt humanity's ability to quickly turn savage...doesn't it seem a bit early to you guys to have fully organized pirates? And they also seem to already have a boat that is even FASTER than Strand's state-of-the-art yacht?

Also...the whole scene with the refugees on the water was a bit over the top. Why are they so eager to take on 20-30 refugees on their boat when CLEARLY the logistics make zero sense? I get that the scene is meant to provide conflict between Strand and his crew....but I think it would have been a more powerful scene if it was like a mother and baby or a small family that they PROBABLY could have taken on...but still left them to die. I don't care how naive the survivors are meant to be this early in the apocalypse, simply taking on that many survivors in a cramped boat with finite supplies and no plan was just not a believable take.

2. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

Big Yachts like that are not very fast especially compared to about any smaller sport boat and there are thousands of those right in LA alone.

I don't know what you are talking about with the floating survivors?
    They did not pick any up,there was just the cliche conversation about it and it seemed natural to me as this has all just started and the people in our group for the most part have no knowledge or idea at all about the Abigal or her capabilities.

And of course there are Pirates already?
    People who know you have stuff they need and will try to take it,no different than on land and now no one to get in the way of the plundering either!

There are actually Pirates already in real life all over the place on the High Seas,it is a consideration for sure.

3. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

I actually think that was portrayed very realistically. The idea that this is really the end of the world would be a hard sell for most people, this early in the game. It would be totally natural for at least some of them to want to help the refugees. In the real world, many and probably even most people wouldn't evolve into cold survivors willing to abandon other survivors that fast. The majority of the adults on the boat, aside from Madison, seemed to be already accepting that reality.

I think it would be less realistic if no debate at all had occurred about it, especially considering there are teens on board.

4. NakedCity

NakedCity Well-Known Member

To me, it reinforced the impression that Strand (and possibly "Jack" too) knew something more about what's going on. That guy is "too ready too fast" for it to be a realistic simple switch to survival mode.

5. JEA13

JEA13 Well-Known Member

Merle would have made a good pirate ; just give him a hook for his missing hand. Carl would be a good pirate too. Arrrr

6. cdrive

cdrive New Member

I count about 9-12 people on that boat. Tough to say, but cut your estimate in half. Something like 10 to 15 on that boat.
    [​IMG]

The mystery vessel is going 25 knots, or a little under 29 mph. ABIGAIL maxes out at 20 knots, 23 mph. It's all very reasonable to me.

I also don't think it would take very long for "pirates" or people to start doing bad things. Look how long it takes after a natural disaster for people to start looting. It's believable to me for bad people to start trying to upgrade their boat to get a bigger boat with more supplies, the grand prize being a huge yacht.

7. Camilleyun

Camilleyun Well-Known Member

Exactly. Criminal elements will always seize an opportunity.

8. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Cliff Curtis stated there were about 23 people on that boat. I think it is 2 or 3 layers of people deep in some spots.

9. AAG331

AAG331 Member

There will ALWAYS be people that will take advantage of any situation they can.

10. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

LA is burning, the military and law and order have already collapsed. The global meltdown has commenced.

You think pirates and bandits in general are unrealistic? They exist in real life. Upon anarchy they come out to thrive!

11. bentstrider83

bentstrider83 Active Member

Seems like the only remnants of the military at this point were the presumably, Navy jets that were conducting aerial bombardment from a distant carrier. As for "Jack" and pirates, I'd like to think they too are remnants of the LAPD or sheriff's department utilizing a police boat for hit and run supply seizure!!

12. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

If there's an ability to maintain order, a Nimitz class carrier with full ordinance would be an awesome place to be for a while.

Stock of food for some time and being that it's nuclear powered it can stay at sea for a long time.

That's if you can maintain order. I would expect mutinous activity and freaking out to ruin such a ride.

13. bentstrider83

I'd like to think that the nuclear techs, the aviation personnel(pilots and techs), and all the gear turners would be the owners of that boat. Get a naval officer with the mindset of Negan and you could have yourself a well-run flotilla with a Nimitz as the center-piece.

14. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

Totally. And when you inevitably need a supply restock, you roll in to an area you think is loaded with supplies and have one of your detachment units go fetch it.

Nimitz too large, too well armed for meager pirates at any stage to be much of an issue if you have an orderly crew.

15. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

Nimitz class carriers are like small cities and can carry 5000 men.
    That is a lot of food requirement which is why they roll in Battle Groups and are restocked all the time with items that they do use up.
    They can run in water unfurled for a long ass time but they need a living crew that has eaten to do so too.

But it would be cool to have one!

16. Blueman

Blueman Well-Known Member

Though not exactly a Nimitz class carrier, ''The Last Ship'' tells the story of a guided missile destroyer (Arleigh-Burke class) in a globally inflected world.

17. Blueman

Blueman Well-Known Member

It is hard to imagine members of any law enforcing agency would turn bad at this early stage of ZA. In general population, there are always people taking the opportunity to do bad things. I would expect police officers and military men would be the last to become so. Maybe these are bad civilian people who just stole a police boat to do the pirating?

18. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

I liked that one too…….mostly!

19. Chassit

Chassit Member

Organized pirates already exist in the real world...

20. bentstrider83

Police boat, or an abandoned Coast Guard patrol boat with heavy machine guns mounted. Only thing that got me thinking of a police boat was that picture circulating around of that heavily armed, Texas Highway Patrol/DPS river patrol boat.