Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Poldark

Discussion in 'Television Shows' started by Lindigo, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

Season 2 has begun! Episode 2 tonight, opposite FTWD, but that's what the DVR is for. Any other Poldark fans here?

2. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

I'd like to be, just never got around to watching season one for some reason. It's my kind of show though. I think I'll binge watch season one, how many episodes are there?

3. Lindigo

There are eight episodes in season one, but they aren't available to binge watch on my Comcast On Demand, except to buy. Comcast has been doing that more and more. I hate them, but not enough to switch over to Dish.

I thought you would be the one most likely to enjoy this show! The costumes, the gallantry, and the Cornwall setting are just my thing, too.

It's based on a series of books by Winston Graham.

Probably the reason you never stumbled over it is that it plays against FTWD.

4. purriwinkle

Well, I watched the first episode of season two and I rather liked it!!! Of course, I adore Aidan Turner as Ross. Demelza is a lucky woman!! I got the gist of what was going on, who the characters were etc. but I'm determined to get my hands on those first season episodes so I can get caught up properly. I'd especially like to get the background on that little pisser George.

If it's always been broadcast on Sunday nights at nine that was probably the problem being opposite something I was already watching. Unfortunately, once TWD comes on later in the month I'll have to watch the epis on line.

5. Lindigo

I just watched episode two. Every time George showed up, I would mentally say, "That little pisser." LOL

6. purriwinkle

Me too! lol I just viewed episode 2 and I'm getting right into it. I did get a good laugh when Jud 's "corpse" up and disappeared to make a reappearance at his own funeral dinner to everyone's horror, and Prudie telling the others he was a whited sepulchre !!!! I love this kind of sh*t. Did you see the previews for epi 3? If so, did it look to you like Demelza might have been having a miscarriage out in that dinghy? At one point it appeared to me that she might be in pain....but don't know if it was physical or emotional.

7. Lindigo

I'm so glad you've been able to get into the story! I saw the preview, but it bewildered me. I have no idea why Demelza was on the water or why Ross was upset to learn about it. I was worried she was going to pitch herself into a watery grave.

When Jud was fed up with what a fine funeral he was having, it reminded me of Finegan's Wake, which I learned to "Whirlin' whisky around like blazes! Thunder and lightning, do you think I'm dead?!?"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39oO7zKStvU

The Durrells of Corfu is starting up this Sunday just before Poldark, and I want to give that a chance, too. Good thing I have the DVR. :)

8. purriwinkle

I was fortunate enough to see tonight's epi in real time. It was nice that the Demelza sitch had a happy ending. I didn't think she was that far along. Happy to see the Poldark reconciliations but that would be too easy now wouldn't it...lol. Until George's horse rears and he falls off one of those high cliffs there's bound to be drama. By the way, is Elizabeth the mole now? Keep George sweet was the worse advice ever.

9. purriwinkle

@Lindigo, are you still watching? I find myself at my parents house on Sunday nights, cooking there and staying with them through the evening.Of course, they don't have a dish or cable so we end up watching PBS , thus Poldark.

Hubs is recording TWD and later will record Outlander but it's Poldark that gets watched now in real time.

I find George somewhat mollified now that Elizabeth has him firmly in hand. I might even get to like him if he wasn't still so fixated on getting Ross. It's evident he gets along with his wife and she with him but I couldn't help noticing how dark Valentine's hair was. Now Elizabeth's hair is dark but what happens when the kid grows up to be the spitting image of Ross? Aye, aye,aye.....

I really hate that toe sucking minister and not too fond of his mother either. Do you think Drake is moving on? What's wrong with the Doctor's baby? Something's not right. Will Ross lose the mine or will they break through to the old shafts, find more copper veins and foil George once again?
    Any ideas on any of this?

#9 purriwinkle, Oct 17, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  10. Lindigo

YES! I always watch! :) I watch it the next day, though. George Warleggan still STIIIIIIIIINKS! :D

11. Lindigo

And The Durrells of Corfu turned out to be fun, too. The children have gotten older and now all of them except the youngest are having misadventures with the opposite sex, mostly hilarious. I'm glad I stuck with it and became fond of them. First season, it seemed like they all were being too determinedly eccentric.

12. purriwinkle

There was more....look up. Why do I find myself kinda, maybe feeling something other than hate once in a while. Maybe if he tries to ruin Ross, I'll be cursing him once again!

13. purriwinkle

I love the Durells of Corfu. They come up with some genuinely funny lines there.. Looks like it would be a great place to live!

14. Lindigo

OF COURSE he will try to destroy Ross--when he isn't busily trying to hang the powerless. He is trying to buy an entire borough to get TWO seats in Parliament. He is a shark that never stops maneuvering. HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS :D

15. Lindigo

Oh, you really are having a fun Sunday! I loved when the kids whipped the house into shape when mom was coming home by dumping everything in Larry's bedroom. That scene was hilarious from his first outraged scream to that final tiny smile of being home.

16. purriwinkle

Oh God, yes. I had a good laugh too when Leslie was dating the three girls, and Larry asked him how his day was at the orifice!! lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. purriwinkle

Oh my. I felt so bad for Dwight and Caroline but I thought she was being a bit of a cold fish. Do you think it was the fact that she was an aristocrat or that she wasn't very maternal...both of which was true but still....I think she loved her daughter. Dwight is so understanding.

I must concede that George would be a whole lot more likable if he'd just get over his jealousy with Ross. Ross was born into the family he was born into as well as George. Ok, so he was bullied as a kid and maybe that warped him but geez, he has everything he desires now. He's bought his way to the top. If he only had some genuine feeling for his fellow man he could be quite popular. But George doesn't want that does he....he wants to push Ross's nose in it to show him ...what exactly? Ross will always be a Poldark. Nobles stick together. They may suffer George because he owns them but they don't really accept him. Now if he had befriended Ross instead, he might have made some genuine inroads. If only there were a few good psychologists around back then cause he could have used one. Oh, and I think he's sterile. Presuming he's um plowing his field regularly, and Elizabeth is doing nothing to prevent it, she should have been preggers by now. I think he's sterile.

Having said all that, I find that as bad as George is, he always finds a henchman who is more despicable than he is ,am I right? and right now I hope the Rev. Toe Sucker is undone somehow. His trying to get Morwenna commited because she won't sleep with him, for obvious reasons, is unnerving. Women were so vunerable back then. I wonder if she'll eventually commit suicide since Drake seems to be moving on and the only thing that separates her from a padded cell is Dr. Enys. I saw Dark Angel on PBS. Maybe Morwenna should start putting a little arsenic in Ozzy's tea.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Lindigo

Caroline was scary! I was constantly uneasy with her comments about the baby. Even near the end, she was begrudging about how the baby had wormed her way into her heart. But, yes, she was certainly heartbroken. I didn't think about the aristocracy angle--maybe she was miffed at not having a baby nanny. If Caroline really doesn't want children, their marriage will wind up on the rocks if it becomes sexless. Dr. Enys is so in love, I hope they find their way.

George! Waiting for the bank to fail. :mad: Ross has always valued good men. It would have made no difference to their relationship if George had been born noble--unless a matching status would have made George turn out less conniving and hateful to everyone.

This is the second time the mine has flooded! I can't take it! I can only hold my breath for so long. God, what a hard life.

I always thought Morwenna and Drake would somehow get together. Somehow, I still do. But for now, more heartbreak for Morwenna. Yes, that's so scary her husband could lock her away for life. I wish Morwenna could take the baby and run.

#18 Lindigo, Oct 23, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  19. purriwinkle

I know what you mean about Caroline. This the late 1700's and I don't know her background but with her family money and station in life I wouldn't be a bit surprised if she was raised by a nanny herself. She doesn't know how to be a mom, not like Demelza anyways and considering that she's used to being the center of attention I can see that she might have harbored a bit of jealousy when it came to her daughter. She probably would have come around in time but the fact that she decided to grieve alone bothered me as much as the fact that she didn't want to be "undone" with tears. She's been slumming it with the doc but she's gonna have to decide now what kind of life she really wants. I hope love wins out in the end.

Speaking of true love, there's no way Morwenna can have a happy ending. Even if the Rev were to grant her a divorce, which I doubt he would, he would take his child and I don't think the girl could stand that. She has no good options. Let's say something were (can't get rid of the italics) to happen to Ozzy, his bitch of a mother would swoop in and try to take the child and she has the power and money Morenna wouldn't have. Bad sitch for the girl. Add to that, if Drake falls for the little blonde, that girl is going to throw herself off those high cliffs. That's a horrible thought but that's what I predict, lol.

#19 purriwinkle, Oct 24, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  20. Lindigo

@purriwinkle, AAHH keep going! I didn't know he would keep the child!

Actually, my hope was that he would die.