Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Polygamy

Discussion in 'Debaters' started by Neuropyramidal, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

You commonly hear "if gay marriage is legal, why not polygamy??" [although they usually say 'why can't a man marry more than one woman', because they have a hard time pronouncing polygamy..I actually had one woman ask me 'why not 'mahogany', apparently not realizing that this is a wood], or the even more heavily brainwashed ones might say "then why can't a man marry his horse, or why can't a stale bowl of goulash marry a tractor trailer??"...of course the last two are obvious because the horse would take years deciding what to wear at the wedding and goulash by nature always lies about its age, making the marriage certificate void, but what about polygamy??

Why can't a man marry more than one woman, or vice versa??....thoughts??....

#1 Neuropyramidal, Jun 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  2. rabscuttle1

rabscuttle1 Well-Known Member

Consenting adults should be allowed to do what they want. Polygamy is fine with me if that's what a group of adults want.

3. walkerbait74

walkerbait74 Well-Known Member

I'd take mahogany over polygamy, it's very sturdy and looks nice in the den.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. skittlesloli

skittlesloli Member

I don't see a problem with it; if a person wants 10 spouses, so be it.

5. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be able to share my husband because i'm too territorial, but i'd totally have more than one husband. I like a lot of attention.

LOL. I'm kidding, i'm kidding. I personally couldn't do the polygamy thing but i don't really know why it's illegal...

6. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

7. Micah87

Micah87 New Member

I couldn't do it either. That's just my personal preference for when I get married. I do like variety though. ;-)

8. tyc94

tyc94 Well-Known Member

I was actually talking about this with some people in my Composition class a couple of weeks ago and I had the same thoughts. We treat gays not being allowed to marry as a grave injustice (and rightfully so) but nobody bats an eye at the thought of legalizing polygamy. I ask what's the difference, why does it really matter if a bunch of people marry each other.

9. lexy

lexy Well-Known Member

First off I can't stand when people use marrying an animal as an argument for or against gay marriage it's a ****ing animal how can the relationship you have with a pet ever compare to a romantic relationship with another consenting adult. I know that's kinda off topic so moving on :) I was under the impression polygamy isn't allowed because of tax issues please correct me if someone knows more about that part of it. Personally I don't really care I wouldn't mind having another husband.

#9 lexy, Jun 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  10. dogfighter

dogfighter Member

I think we should do away with legal marriages completely. I don't understand why people need to get legally married. Marriage should be a religious union between two people and should not involve the government.

11. dogfighter

dogfighter Member

The government ruined marriage with the divorce laws. No one respects marriage anymore.

12. Neuropyramidal

Really, so then only religious people can marry?? Marriage actually predates christianity. The problem is that without a legal definition of marriage, one member of the couple can really get screwed financially if they split up. The legalities of marriage help prevent this. But if a couple chooses not to marry, that's their own choice.

13. lexy

lexy Well-Known Member

No one has to get married I'd say now it's much more common for people to just live together.

14. Micah87

Micah87 New Member

Live and let live

15. gLorfindeL

gLorfindeL Active Member

I'm against polygamy (at least for myself) . marriage is sometimes a hard Art even with one spouse. with more than one? it's not a kind of burden I'd carry.

16. dogfighter

dogfighter Member

See I have a problem with what you just wrote here. First of all you're automatically assuming that the person making less money is the victim and the one making more money is the one doing harm. I disagree with you because unless you were in that relationship you really don't know what really happened. Yes you're right there is someone that gets screwed over financially and 99% of the time it's the one that makes more money. Marriage does predate Christianity, but i never said that marriage was created by christianity. Marriage was created by religion and should remain that way.

17. Thales

Thales Well-Known Member

The government didn't force anyone to get divorced.

18. Neuropyramidal

For someone who hates opinions, you sure do seem to make a lot of assumptions and false characterizations. Project much? First of all, I made no assumptions about who the 'victim' is, I merely stated that the legalities of marriage help prevent people from getting screwed financially, and that's true. Also your statement that marriage should 'remain religious' is ridiculous. Anyone who wants to benefit from a legal definition of marriage has the right to do that, whether or not they are religious.

19. Thales

Thales Well-Known Member

That's as daft as saying that democracy was created by the Greeks, so it should remain in Greece.

20. dogfighter

dogfighter Member

Who is the government to tell people that you can only marry 1 person, you can't marry someone of the same sex, when you get divorced you should give up half your assets and have to pay someone lifetime alimony. The government should not get involved in our business.