Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Poor chickens!

Discussion in 'Episode 206 - Secrets' started by Jakobi, Nov 21, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Jakobi

Jakobi Administrator

When she snapped the legs of the chickens before feeding them to the barn walkers, I must say it was disturbing lol. I mean the look on Maggie's face, the fact she seemed used to it, and just the cracking sound. That part stood out a little bit.

2. Lucky

Lucky Member

I felt bad for the chickens too. Snapping their legs then throwing them down to be eaten alive by zombies? That's animal cruelty right there!

3. Flesh Eater

Flesh Eater Well-Known Member

I'm waiting for the PETA protests to run rampant now....lol. The sound of the chicken screaming just made me cringe. Poor little things.

4. Felicia

Felicia Active Member

Jesus! I know. At least give the poor buggers a fighting chance. Throw em in their without broken legs and give them a chance to live. But no...these crazies are only concerned about the walkers.... I find this entire storyline a tad freaky. Herschel is now officially giving me the creeps.

5. grumpygriff

grumpygriff Member

I am normally a chicken hater - well a bird hater. Thanks Alfred Hitchcock. But even I felt sorry for the little buggars when that happened. And damn! The sound. Ugh. I had to turn away from the tv.

6. shannon28

shannon28 Member

It made me wince more than any of the zombie attacks have.

7. Julia Ds

Julia Ds Member

I thought the woman's expression while doing it was the most unsettling part. Such a dazed, unhappy look. obviously been doing that for a while. Their affection towards those zombies is dangerous and gonna get people killed. If i were Glenn i would have told the group right away. Hershel and the rest are ignorant and endangering everyone by their secret. Not cool!

8. Roman'sRevenge

Roman'sRevenge Active Member

I cringed and winced when I saw what that woman did to the chickens. So wrong. I felt for those chickens. Too bad the walkers just don't eat each other.

9. Loc

Loc Administrator
    Staff Member

I don't know why but that part bugged me more then the zombies getting killed lol

10. Newly Infected

Newly Infected New Member

It was pretty disturbing, and not easy to watch, but my bigger problem is that they are wasting food. I realize that the farm dwellers think the zombies are still people, so they probably think not to feed them would be cruel, but they have no idea how long they're going to have to subsist on the food that they can find on and around the farm... tossing it in to the zombies is just another on the list of really bad ideas they keep having.

#10 Newly Infected, Nov 21, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  11. fatbrett2

fatbrett2 Member

It was very brutal, but it was Patricia, not Maggie. I was a little confused though - I'm a city mouse, but I lived on a farm in Ireland for several months a few years ago, and part of my job was to take care of the chickens. They can't "fly" for any length of time, but they can get a good ways off the ground, and their wings play a bigger part in that kind of movement than their legs do. It is very difficult for a human to catch a healthy chicken in the open, which means it would be almost impossible for a zombie. I'm just not sure that breaking a leg would make that much of a difference.

12. Jakobi

Jakobi Administrator

Doh! I tried to remember and thought it was Maggie.

13. RicksGal44

RicksGal44 Member

maybe she should have thrown the eggs instead?? either way why feed them? i felt bad for the chickens too. :(

14. AVC

AVC Member

I'm not sure what planet the Hershell's are living on. Walkers don't need to be fed.
    Those dudes in the barn are dead. DEAD! They don't need food. And they sure as hell aren't going to get better, or cured.
    What a waste of chicken.

15. Por

Por New Member

What will the Hershel-Clan do if they run out of chicken?
    Will they bake cakes for the zombies?

16. Felicia

Felicia Active Member

Hershell is just crazy. There is no cure for dead!

17. Kimiko

Kimiko Member

Those poor chickens indeed! I agree with everyone about the sound :< it was bad enough when I realised what they were doing...but to hear that sickening snap really brought it home :( *shiver*

18. KitchenWitch

KitchenWitch Member

Those hens must have been drugged - they would have been struggling and pecking at Maggie normally. You'd think she'd at least put them in a killing cone (looks like a traffic cone - you put the bird in it and it relaxes so you can kill it easily). Or stick her head under her wing, which makes them go to sleep (at least sometimes).

I agree that it's a tragic waste of food. Hopefully they were only using the spent hens, not good egg-layers.

But given the few chickens they were using and the number of walkers in the barn, it wasn't a significant amount of food for them. It was probably something they learned to do to keep them content - if they had all focussed on one weak section of the barn, seems likely they could have eventually broken through. If they were semi-sated, they might not really try.

19. Emma Sullivan

Emma Sullivan New Member

Can we get an animal cruelty clause?

Id feel much better if WD responded to us here and said 'no animals were harmed in the making of episode 206' I feel ill about the chicken scene, and obviously they are not real zombies, and PETA would be everywhere if chickens were harmed, but i think the viewers would feel better if somewhere this clause were certified. No where can i find it??? Not on the site, and not on any forums by the producers?

I am also concerned about the horse which got eaten in series 1, obviously it didn't get eaten but it clearly got thrown to the ground by several people.. was that horse okay after filming?

20. KitchenWitch

KitchenWitch Member

Emma, the actress did not actually break the hen's legs. The hen would have been screeching and flapping if she had. I've raised chickens, and doing anything to a chicken is a good way of upsetting her. Even just catching a chicken who is egg-bound and should know very well that getting caught and doctored is the only way she'll get relief - the hen acts like you're going to send her to Gitmo. I assure you, from what I saw on screen, the chicken was unharmed.

Modern film makers just can't get away with animal cruelty. Look at how much trouble PJ got in trouble over a few horses not getting pampered on the set of "The Hobbit." People are more concerned about animal than human welfare these days.