Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Pop or Soda?

Discussion in 'Episode 610 - The Next World' started by jackson04, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

When we lived in rural New Jersey, and my dad would barge in on me while I was in the tub, he'd yell "quit badgering the witness!". Then later when we moved to the city, he'd barge in on me while I was in the tub and yell "quit shaking hands with the unemployed!"

2. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

We say tennis shoes here too :) when I hear sneakers I only think of shoes like this:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456195634.428653.jpg

3. jojo

jojo Member

I from TN grew up saying pop. Moved to the tide water area of Virginia everyone called it soda I started calling soda. Moved to Seattle WA everyone calls it pop. I now just refer to it as coke or pepsi.

4. Mr Bag

Mr Bag Member

Lived in Atlanta, GA 41 years most people say coke if they want a coke. If they want diet mt. dew they say diet mt. dew. In some non-fast food restaurants you might be asked if you want water, tea or 'coke' with your meal. If you reply 'coke' they will usually ask 'what kind' unless that's all they have.

5. Phantasm

Phantasm Member

having grown up in different states...

Indiana=pop
    S. Illinois= Sodeee pop
    Florida= Pop
    Idaho=pop

6. tehwalkingdead

Where I am from, we tend to call Coke and all its derivatives by their actual names ie. Diet Coke, Coke Zero. Same with the Fantas. Same with Pepsi. I can't think of any reason whatsoever why it makes sense to call drinks by their 'genre'. I don't ask for 'Hot Drink' when I want tea or coffee or dairy if if I want some milk.

7. Buffalo Al

Buffalo Al New Member

My wife has a Scottish friend and she calls it juice. Meanwhile in Southern England it's fizzy drinks, fizzy pop( more an old person thing) or more likely to ask someone if they " wanna coke or sumfink"

8. DeeLaurean

DeeLaurean Well-Known Member

Is later last Sunday ?
    What does your dad say now ?
    Or have you gone blind and you can't find it ? ;)

9. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

Where I grew up he would be called Pop!

10. JEA13

JEA13 Well-Known Member

Once ,when I was a young kid, we were visiting my moms family in a state far from where we lived. My aunt had given my brother a soda so I asked for a SODA and she had a fit. I was confused and hurt. She finally went into a big tirade that she didnt have any ice cream and what nerve I had to ask. Turns out they called them pop and soda to her meant ice cream soda. Where I came from they called it ICE CREAM soda for a reason. Anyway things settled down when the confusion was cleared up.

11. Bullseye

Bullseye Member

Im from Scotland too and yeah we call it juice, depending where in Scotland your from some call it "ginger" not sure why, might be because our national drink (no not whiskey, soft drink I mean) is Irn Bru and that is a "ginger" colour

I hope you have all tried our old Scottish favourite Irn Bru, do you get it in the states etc??

12. justafanaticfan

I'm in Utah, we pretty much only drink dr pepper, but it's a soda.
    And as for shoes? I wear cowboy boots, or hiking boots, or flips in the summer. I don't know what normal people call running shoes. Sneakers? I've always called them "go-fasters", because you can walk faster than in boots, but I don't wear them.

13. Zombie_Rhino

Zombie_Rhino Well-Known Member

So if you want a Pepsi, you have to ask for a Pepsi Coke?

14. walkon

walkon Active Member

In Michigan we call it pop or coke. My wife was from Indiana and she called it pop or coke. We had a friend from NY and she called it Soda.
    All of us said tennis shoes.

The one that gets me is a stocking cap like Paul was wearing. My wife (who was from southern Indiana) would have called what paul had on his head a toboggan. I would say to her, You wear a sled on your head?

15. LadyGrimes

LadyGrimes Well-Known Member

In the 1920's when someone would dispense soda from the machine they called it "soda jerking" or say "I'm going to jerk some soda"
    imagine today if someone still said that lol.

16. Zed Sanford

Zed Sanford Member

Let's say you were at your friend's house. He goes to get a drink. They have a big family and have a selection of Pepsi, Mt. Dew, Dr. Pepper, Sunkist, and Sprite. He would turn to you and most likely ask "Want a can of pop?" as opposed to the option of "Do you want a can of Pepsi, Mt. Dew, Dr. Pepper, Sunkist, or Sprite". Or if you're at a grocery store you've never been to, you might ask "which aisle has the pop?"

17. Lummsy200

Lummsy200 Member

This isn't a thread about the Outsiders...

18. Lummsy200

Lummsy200 Member

I grew up in Fairfax (10 miles east of the real Alexandria) and we called it Coke, but we would differentiate after the initial question and clarify if we were talking about sprite or 7up, Dr Pepper or Mt Dew. It was the same way in Richmond when I went to college. Now Northern Virginia is filled with people from all over the country and the world and I think most say soda. Even my kids say soda.

19. jackson04

jackson04 Active Member

I call it a boggin.

20. Biffster

Biffster Well-Known Member

Here in Alberta, Canada we say pop, though the official term would be soda pop. Sodium bicarbonate would be the official term I suppose. Then again, you have slurpees which aren't really pop so much as syrup ice smoothies.

In other news, my favorite scene was where Daryl throws Jesus a can of Orange Crush but shakes it up really good first. Also the scene where they both shoot the zombie reminded more of Pulp Fiction than Butch and Sundance.

#60 Biffster, Feb 23, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2016