Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Praise and Positivity shall not fade away!!

Discussion in 'Episode 104 - Not Fade Away' started by Neuropyramidal, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Naked sponge baths all around.

2. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

What I liked about this episode:

The general overall tone of the episode was great. The conflict of perceptions between Travis and Madison was done in a way that felt natural, organic to me. Not every bit of their separation of ideas was shown through the two of them sharing dialogue about it. We have Travis going about his day, morning run and then a pow wow with his friend the sarge. He is turning a blind eye to the signs that have Madison reeling internally. Then we have Madison questioning the whys of how things are being handled, she is watching and listening to what is going on around her - not so quick to pass it all off as the cavalry has come to save the day. She is not one to blindly trust - she has a son who is an addict, she is accustomed to living with deceit, lies and cover ups. I mentioned in another thread that I have suspicions that in episode 1 when Maddie relays to Travis that "its in the genes" that she may in fact be cluing us in on her own demons. This episode, because she is seen hiding out in the garage alone, having a drink, that maybe she herself has her own experience with battling an addiction. Just a thought *insert shoulder shrug*

Alicia goes to Susan's house, again we are given a shot of the empty pill bottle on the table next to a tea cup. Then she finds the letter and while we are not privy (at this moment in the ep) to what the letter is about, we have a very good sign that the letter is a love letter of sorts due to Alicia's reaction. It is later that we learn that the letter is a goodbye letter to Patrick and that more than likely Susan committed suicide (hence the empty pill bottle) after seeing what she deems as a biblical prophecy come true.

Nick, Nick, Nick - I am so damn naive that it never occurred to me that the reason he was peering through the fence was to time his next fix based on the absence of Liza and Hector's wife. I was shocked SHOCKED when he was shown under Hector's bed with the morphine drip between his toes. Once I got over that initial shock I felt many things at once - sadness, anger, despair. For me, it was such a dark moment although I am glad that TPTB have wisely chosen to make Nick's eventual recovery a process and not something made in the cinematic world of "it's a miracle".

The new and improved dynamic between Madison and Daniel - in TWD we have Rick and Michonne, in FTWD our power couple will be Madison and Daniel. I am not only enjoying my introduction to Daniel but also my introduction to Ruben Blades. While his face is familiar I do not have any real memories of roles that he has portrayed. Believe me, after this season of FTWD I will now always remember who Ruben Blades is!

Madison taking a field trip outside the fences. Some have stated that it was stupid for her to cut the fences to get out. I think she did that as a means to make her way out without taking the risk of going over the fence, which would have been far easier for the military patrols to spot rather than her sneaking out of a bottom corner of the fence. But this would allow the infected to get in!! Okay, we as viewers know this, we know it is only a matter of time before the city is overrun if it is not already. Our characters on the other hand do not know this - they have been told that the what is outside the fences is dead and that the goal is to re-take the city. While Madison may not completely believe in the good will of the military or the government, she really has no clue as to what the actual danger is and what a breach in the fence could mean.

And of course the last few minutes - what a roller coaster ride that was. My stomach was in knots and I do not think I took a breath until the credits rolled. And I agree with Madison - dammit Liza!! Oh she is going to pay for being a tattletale. Okay, okay she probably did think that she was doing the right thing BUT it was not her place to make that decision. I got your back on this one Madison!

#2 Dnae, Sep 21, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  3. Hope the Savior

I pretty much echo your sentiments. I also enjoyed the following:

The glimpse into the relationship between Maddy and Chris. Chris feels so neglected by his father that he approached Maddy over him about possibly helping the person(s) stuck in the "Dead Zone." She countered his reasoning, but she also actively listened to him and was convinced enough to discuss the matter with Travis and to scope things out for herself.

I also liked that this episode continued to focus on the positive aspects of Chris' character, namely his bravery and selflessness. Last week, he unhesitatingly rushed to save Alicia, and this week, he wanted to help complete strangers trapped in a dangerous area. Yes, Chris has a chip on his shoulder and can be (a bit of) a brat, but he's also a pretty brave and caring kid.

I loved the ending when Travis witnessed the gunfire at the DZ house Chris mentioned earlier. Travis was genuinely shocked by what he saw. I'm really curious to see how his perceptions of and his interactions with the military will change.

I also really liked how the episode opened and closed with monologues spoken by teenagers and simultaneously told the short stories of what happened to fellow survivors (i.e., Su-Su and the DZ survivors).

4. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

1. Thanks for giving me some food for thought where Chris is concerned. While I found him a bit less grating this episode I was still not on the Chris is okay fanwagon. But with this post you have given me something to think about and to take notice of in the upcoming episodes.

2. That ending! I had to watch it again last night when I got home from work. The look on Travis' face when the rapid gunfire happens, he is completely taken aback and surprised for a split second and then you see the beginnings of realization slowly begin to develop and the despair that comes with that realization. I say despair because in my opinion Travis has been doing exactly what he told his neighbor to do "tell them it will be okay". And Travis was not only doing that for his family, he was doing it for himself. He wanted so desperately to believe that the military and government were going to set the world back on its axis and life would return to normal. I think viewing the slaughter of those in that building/house was the nail in his Pollyanna coffin.

As far as the forum population goes I may be in the minority here, but I am enjoying the hell out of this series. I love the slow development of our characters, our introductions to their flaws, the confusion of trying to make sense out of what is happening before their eyes. Their sense of helplessness - nothing is in their control at this point. That aspect in and of itself would drive me completely bonkers!

5. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

On Madison, I don't mind the HOW of her cutting the fence. That seemed the most realistic way across. How else would she get over the barbed wire at top? Throw a couple of big rubber mats over it? these would naturally get stuck and be VERY obvious to the military. My problem is the WHY of why she went out. If it was just because she couldn't stand being cooped up any more and wanted to see what was out there for herself, I can see that. If she actually was planning on going over to the house with the light that was far away on the other side of the hill... that would be very unreasonable of her.

I also don't understand why she wouldn't want to immediately tell the military about the light when Chris first told her about it. The military said there was no one left alive out there, and no one knew THIS person was alive until Chris was sitting on the roof. If I was in that situation, I'd have figured it was someone *trapped* in a place they couldn't get out of, not of someone hiding from the military. With later events in the show, the second possibility seems more likely, but not at the beginning of the episode. After all, who would likely respond if you flashed a light at a military run compound? The military.

And with Travis at the end seeing the gunshots? What an ending! It sure opened Travis' eyes to what was going on. What will Travis do? Worry Maddie more who's already on edge, or keep things in his heart? A great ending to keep you wondering until the next episode.

#5 Morgotha, Sep 22, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  6. Camilleyun

Camilleyun Well-Known Member

I was assuming she went out because the gossipy neighbor had been telling her things about the outside. Madison asked Travis ( after she climbed off of him :Grin:) about why there was sporadic electricity, no meds and no phones, and even implied that the communication cutoff maybe deliberate. She wanted to see for herself.

7. Trinnity

Trinnity New Member

I am too. I think people are too quick to condemn it. It's building and it gives us moments of terror and intrigue. I'm always left wanting more and counting the days til the next episode. It's going to drive me nuts waiting for season 2.

My fave part in ep4 was when Maddy walked into that street and the smell hit her. I grew up in the city, but have lived in the country for 20 years now and from coming across dead animals, I've come to know that death smell quite well - and imagining that smell as I watched her experience it was powerful.

8. Trinnity

Trinnity New Member

Cut off phone service, you can bet that was deliberate. It's all about controlling the populous.

9. mtito914

mtito914 Active Member

I liked the last 3 minutes..

10. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Yeah, it was clear that Madison had been harboring some suspicions regarding the military for awhile. Travis had mentioned she wasn't herself lately, and she brought up that gossipy neighbor [Vivian], as well as skepticism about why the phones hadn't been turned back on and no medicine had arrived yet. The fact that she didn't go straight to the military with the flashing light story was consistent with these suspicions.

11. Hope the Savior

You're welcome about warming you up to Chris (or "Pissy Pants," as Honda refers to him). I'm not fully in his bandwagon yet either, and I wasn't actually trying to convince anyone to readily climb aboard. I just thought we should acknowledge his positive traits, as well as his negative ones. (I wonder if Chris will be upset with his dad about what happened to the DZ survivors and if so, to what extent.)

That ending...I loved that ending! I loved that ending! I've watched it so many times.

Poor Travis climbed on the roof to clear his head and instead fastened himself into an emotional roller coaster. He sees three flashes of light illuminate the DZ house's window and realizes his son and Maddy were right: someone is out there. Then he sees the first three muzzle flashes and immediately enters into a state of shock and disbelief, as he realizes these other survivors have just been attacked. As the second and third sets of gunfire ring out, his disbelief and shock quickly turn to dismay, as he realizes that the only people who are cognizant of these other survivors who have that kind of fire power are the National Guardsmen...whom he informed of those DZ survivors! After the fourth and final set of gunfire (second set of muzzle flashes), we see his dismay begin to transform into despair as he fully registers what he just witnessed, namely how it came to pass and why.

I will be disappointed if the slaughter doesn't impact Travis' "Pollyana" attitude. After witnessing something like that, no one could continue to walk around and reassure people that everything's okay, that the National Guardsmen are here to help, and that the military can be trusted to keep them safe. I'm really looking forward to the change in Travis' character and outlook that will inevitably come because of this.

If you're in the minority about the show, then I am too and I welcome you with open arms. I love how the show is introducing us to and developing the characters. I think it's slowly but surely helping us understand them: their motivations, their character, their flaws, their plights, etc.

My friends and I who went through Hurricane Katrina really enjoyed the nods to FEMA's disaster relief protocols during last week's episode. Many of us felt that this episode really encapsulated the realities of a monumental disaster and the feelings of helplessness, despair, confusion, etc., such a catastrophe evokes.

12. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

13. Hope the Savior

That explains the warm feeling I experienced a few moments ago.

14. Tara La Reine

Tara La Reine Member

I continue to enjoy their development of the characters and feel like a lot of that went on this episode. I have some issues with the story line, but I feel like the characters are pretty solid at this point.

I get fonder of Madison with every episode, and they built on some of our previous impressions of her this week. She's willful and selfish and brave. I think she is going to be a real survivor. I don't believe she was going to help anyone when she went out of the safe zone. She's suspicious of the military guys and just wants to see outside for herself. She and Nick are ultimately a lot alike. Her visceral reaction to the smell was great. She's going to have to get used to it.

I've read and heard a lot of complaints about Travis, but I still like him. I think he is a good man and means well. In some ways he's almost an anti-Rick, the kind of guy whose desire to help leads him to be a teacher instead of a cop. He is utterly unprepared for what's coming, but that doesn't make him stupid or weak. I think he behaves in a way that a lot of decent, reasonable people not clued in by five seasons of TWD would in his situation. He's trying to keep morale up, and until the end he has no real reason to believe that things will not ultimately work out. It will be really interesting to see what goes on with him in the last two episodes.

I love that they're not writing Nick's addiction off like it's no big deal. After three episodes of being generally impressed with him, I suddenly wanted to smack him. It's good that they're showing his flaws as well as his wily charm and uncanny observation skills, even if it means occasionally feeling sucker punched by reminders of what a shit he can be. In retrospect, I do wish they'd given him a couple more episodes to figure out that walkers are dead. It would have been more realistic for me.

Alicia was the saddest character. This girl is about 17 years old and the first of her group to lose someone, and she spends almost the entire episode alone. Has anyone consoled her? I feel like she's used to being forgotten about despite her accomplishments, and that is probably the root of her bitterness and 'bitchiness'. Matt meant a lot to her because he paid attention to her. Susan kept a picture Alicia drew more than a decade ago, so obviously they were close. Alicia mourns her lifelong neighbor along with her boyfriend when it seems like everyone else has already forgotten them both. I won't forget that.

As as for the others: like Travis, Eliza is really just trying to help. Chris was better this episode. His vlogging and leaping right to thinking someone needed their help made me wonder if he wouldn't turn out to be some sort of journalist or activist in another life. He's going to be bummed when that thing stops working. I liked Daniel more this episode. I feel like he and Maddie are really going to understand each other. Griselda laid in the bed, bless her heart. Like everyone else, I don't think she's going to make it. I'd like to see more of Ofelia, because that thing with the soldier makes it clear that she's got some hidden depths and a lot of loyalty.

15. Trinnity

Trinnity New Member

The season finale was good. I enjoyed the whole first season. Meanwhile tonight (Sunday) is the season premiere of season 6. Can't wait!!!

16. Trinnity

Trinnity New Member

About your avi....I make a lot of avi's on my own forum. I have the same one as you and used it yesterday (I change my avi's every day - sometimes several times a day).

17. Hope the Savior

Great minds think alike; I like to change my avi, too. I may change mine again very soon actually.