Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Preacher

Discussion in 'Comic Books' started by Neuropyramidal, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Dreet

Dreet Well-Known Member

Cool beans.

2. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

3. Dreet

Dreet Well-Known Member

Although it's from Breaking Bad we all get the general idea of how the infamous Neuropyramidal looks like hahaha. He can definitely pass for 87 yrs old lol. Alrite thanks for the laugh tonite, I'm done chuckling. He he

4. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

5. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

I finished Book One. Don't have time right now to give extended thoughts, but I will either later today or tomorrow.

As for The Wire. It's sort of a slow burn, but well worth the ride. Don't give up on it though after Season 2. It's their weakest one and didn't work for a lot of people. Excellent writing overall though.

6. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

I'll try to get going on it, for real. :) I'm going away for the weekend, so I think I'll take it to read on the train.

It's interesting you say that about The Wire. I started watching it because for years people whose opinions I value have told me to watch it and praised the writing. I couldn't see the big deal until halfway through season 1, and then it started getting really good. I guess because it took a few episodes to get the wiretaps set up. Now I'm halfway through season 2, and you're right, I'm not liking it as much as season 1. For whatever reason, I'm not feeling as invested in the storyline with the docks, though I do like seeing the main characters again and I like the new character Officer Beadie Russell. Lawrence Gilliard Jr. is great in it. At first, I couldn't see him as anyone other than Bob, but now he's D'Angelo the drug dealer to me and it'll be weird to see him again as Bob. Such different characters. Seth Gilliam is good in it, too. It makes me think he's being underused so far as Father Gabriel on TWD. I hope he starts to play a bigger role in 5b.

7. Stealth

I'm like you, I came to The Wire late and binge watched the show last year. The main reason is that I'm not really a fan of police type shows. But I also had people telling me to check it out. I was prepared to quit it though after Season 2 if Season 3 didn't get back on track, but it did. I thought Lawrence Gilliard Jr. was great too. He was probably my favorite character in Season 1, because his story really brought home the whole drug dealing world. And you could tell if he had been in a different environment, or had a better support network, he would've had no part of Avon's gang. It was sad too how he was ready to turn on Avon and his mother convinced him not to. Really tragic.

Another thing that hurt Season 2 is that Avon Barksdale and Stringer Bell are much better villains than the whole dock story and "the Greek" who really didn't interest me. The good news is they get back to Avon in Season 3, so hang in there.

I also thought Seth Gilliam was great in his role, and his character gets even better as time goes on. I hope on TWD they give the TV version of Gabriel a bit more to work with because he's very capable.

I read an interview that David Simon did where he said the show was mapped out for 5 seasons and there were different elements from Baltimore that they wanted to focus on in each season. Still to come for you they have politics, the impact of that world on kids and the media. I thought the stuff with the kids was probably their best work. Some people didn't like the final season but I did. And I think they bring it altogether very well. We could've done without the whole labor/docks focus though. It's a real snoozefest. But no show is perfect.

8. Stealth

Okay, now my thought on Book One of Preacher.

I had a little trouble at the beginning getting into it. The story was a bit choppy. But I hung in there and I felt that it got better as it went n.

My favorite character by far is Cassidy. They did a great job with him. I like his demeanor and he has the best lines in the entire comic.

My biggest problem though is the main character. I just can't seem to connect with the guy. I'm not sure what it is at this stage, whether he's not fleshed out well enough (although they do go into his backstory toward the end of Book One). I'm just not feeling it. He's not a Rick Grimes. And I don't mean in terms of characteristics, but someone who can really propel a series for me. Also, I'll put it in spoilers since most haven't read it..

With that said I thought it was a decent and entertaining read. I liked it more as I went on, but I'm not sure at this stage if I want to continue the series or not. I'll jump to Kirkman's other comic that I have on preorder and then we'll see.

9. Neuropyramidal

I would suggest sticking with it. The best books are still ahead of you. I think Cassidy and The Saint of Killers tie for my favorite characters. And I didn't see his power as a liability because

10. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

I'm partway through Volume 1, maybe five comic issues in. What is with Ennis's obsession with blowing people's faces off? :zombies_lol:

I also like Cassidy and Tulip much more than Jessie so far, but that could change. And the Saint of Killers is badass.

11. Stealth

Yeah, I'll probably go back to it again after a bit of a break.

12. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

Dominic Cooper Nears Deal to Star in AMC’s "Preacher"

http://www.thewrap.com/dominic-cooper-nears-deal-to-star-in-amcs-preacher

#112 and138, Apr 10, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  13. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty excited about Joseph Gilgun as Cassidy, actually.

14. Neuropyramidal

Are you exciting about finishing reading about Cassidy in the comic? :p

15. Neuropyramidal

Ian Colletti is playing Arseface.

[​IMG]

16. Neuropyramidal

These volumes are still going up in price on Amazon. Just 4 months ago I was able to get more than half the volumes for one cent plus shipping. Vol. 1 you can still find for as cheap as about 50 cents plus shipping, but most of the other books are multiple dollars now, some over 10 bucks. I wonder what they will be if this show catches on like TWD.

#116 Neuropyramidal, Apr 10, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  17. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

:zombies_blush: I haven't even finished the first book yet. But in my defence, I haven't read much of anything for fun lately. But yes, I am excited about the thought of it.

18. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

I'm not familiar with him, but I'm excited about seeing Arseface on television. :zombies_lol:

19. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

I saw some of the old single issues and trade paperbacks at Toronto ComicCon a few weeks ago. I didn't pick them up because I've already bought some of the new editions and I was reserving my spending money for TWD, but maybe I should have...

20. Stealth

Thanks, I should probably buy them then because I do plan on continuing with the series, particularly since it's coming to AMC. My plan was to read more of it this summer. I read a variety of different things, including biographies/history etc, so I go through phases.

If someone had said to me a few years ago that I'd be actively involved in 3 comic series (TWD, Outcast and Preacher) I would have laughed at them.