Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Preview Panels

Discussion in 'Volume 22: A New Beginning' started by Tony Davis, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Tony Davis

Tony Davis Administrator
    Staff Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    THE WALKING DEAD 128
    After all this time, she should be more prepared.
    Story By: Robert Kirkman
    Art By: Charlie Adlard
    Inks: Stefano Gaudiano
    Colored By: Cliff Rathburn
    Cover By: Charlie Adlard

#1 Tony Davis, Jun 6, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  2. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

Assuming that Andrea is talking to Magna or one of her group. I wonder where they're going with Negan, though. Is he going to be a part of a storyline as of now, or just sidelined for the time being and a tool for Rick/Carl to think aloud to?

3. Z-Man

Z-Man Well-Known Member

I suspect he will play some bigger role going forward, but what that will be remains ambiguous to say the least. I believe that they kept him around for a reason.

4. jwcoombs

jwcoombs Well-Known Member

Yeah; I'm guess the Andrea panel is a panel from the interviews Rick was talking about conducting in #127. He told them to settle in, and Paula would show them to their rooms, they would do the interviews later. But he promised they would be lengthy and in-depth.

The Negan panel worries me. He's longingly watching Carl stride up the stairs. Is it genuine care for the kid? Or is he trying to figure out what's going through his head, wondering if his seed took, or if he's on his way to ring the alarm to Rick. Then you add in the final panel and it doesn't seem to bode well. Carl is most definitely retrieving a hidden knife. Which implies he isn't supposed to have it in the first place. I wonder why? Does Rick fear he'll kill again? Is he that erratic? And why does he feel he needs the knife now? Is it for Negan? Finally, who is that kid standing behind Carl as he retrieves the stowed blade?(I assume it's another adolescent, as I'm sure none of Carl's adult companions would be up to no good with him).

And the icing on the cake; the freaking tagline--"After all this time; she should be more prepared." I think somethings going down for sure. I just hope Carl isn't involved.

Oh, how I hate the wait...
    [MENTION=25242]Z-Man[/MENTION] [MENTION=39001]HondaS2kXD[/MENTION] [MENTION=41032]and138[/MENTION]

5. HondaS2kXD

HondaS2kXD Well-Known Member

my guess on the Carl panel is that's a freshly made knife and he's becoming a blacksmith. No idea on negan, and Andrea is obviously talking to magna's group.

6. Tony Davis

Tony Davis Administrator
    Staff Member

Pretty sure that's Rick with Negan in the first panel

7. BatmansHooker

I agree. Could he be trying to use Carl in some way? Perhaps twist him and cause him to distrust Rick? I'm interested.
    Who do you think the "she" is? Magna? Andrea? Maggie? The obvious choice is Magna, based on the cover and the fact that she's been surviving for so long.

8. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

I'd been assuming Magna, but you're right, the statement could very well be misleading.

(It had better not be Michonne!)

9. BatmansHooker

Probably not Michonne… I'm not even sure we'll see her for the next couple of issues.

I'm thinking Magna or maybe Andrea, for a less obvious guess. It could possibly be referring to the time that they've had in peace rather than the time Magna's spent surviving.

10. jwcoombs

Are you sure? I mean, that would be very cool as we have yet to see Rick interact with Inmate-Negan;so we have now idea what their relationship and dynamic is like now. I'd imagine it's somewhat civil, having been cohabitating in the same place for two years.

But, that just doesn't seem like Rick to me on the stair case. I can kind of see where you're coming from, because whoever it is looks a little unsure of themselves on the stairs. They appear to be bracing themselves and taking it slow, as Rick would do now. But, the arm just seems to skinny to me to be Rick's, also, last we saw Rick he was wearing long sleeve button-up shirt now; and panel seems to show Carl's signature cut-off shirt.

But who knows? Maybe it is Rick, and that's why Negan is looking so longingly up the staircase, watching Rick, admiring the damage he's done to him, and seething with rage at the same time.--Or it's Carl, and something genuine is actually developing between the two. Although right now it may be a bit of a one-way street.

11. jwcoombs

Ah, good inference. That could very well be a freshly-forged knife. Would that mean Carl has made it to the Hilltop? If so; who's behind him in the panel? Sophia?

Ah; so many questions! Sometimes I wish they would go back to the 3 page previews; this 3 panel stuff is painstaking. LOL
    But I guess it leaves a lot to the imagination which is always good fun.

12. jwcoombs

You know, I'm really not sure. Hadn't put too much thought into the tagline until now. Just figured it obviously had to be Magna it was referencing. But now, the more I ponder I'm not sure. It seems to subtly refer to someone who we know much better, and have been with for a while. Someone who we've actually watched struggle and evolve over "all this time"; that way depending on who it is and what happened they would be should to get the same reaction out of the readers of: "WTF!?! ALL THIS TIME! YOU SHOULD HAVE BEEN MORE PREPARED!!! WHY!!!??".

13. jwcoombs

Also, I'm glad they finally cleared up the issue with Carl's stupid necklace. Obviously Charlie was having an off day when he drew #127; because it's apparent now(from the promo art and these panels) that it is in fact a bead necklace; not zombie teeth. LOL

14. BatmansHooker

The first panel is giving me prison-era vibes with the jail cell and jumpsuit. It's like a page straight out of the early issues.

15. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

Yes, it makes sense for this issue to focus on Magna's group's interview and whatever Carl is doing with that knife. I hope someone at least mentions her name though (*sniffe*)!

#15 and138, Jun 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  16. TheWalkingHorn

TheWalkingHorn Well-Known Member

This is my fear.

Oooooooh, you guys I'm so excited for my first release being caught up now!!!!!!!!!

17. jwcoombs

Yeah, I got the same vibe from that panel. It's definitely nostalgic; the bars, and the stairs, the jumpsuit, and the overwhelmingly dark and stifling shadows held at by only by the frayed and haloed glow of a single bare bulb. It's great to see Adlard using styles, techniques, and methods from much earlier issues. After all; Charlie Adlard's art has evolved tremendously during his tenure with TWD. So, it's even more wonderful to see him marrying elements of his earlier work to his current style and process; which now includes the wonderfully talented Stefano Gaudiano!--IMO, the art; Adlard's pencils and inks, Rathburn's inks and greyscale, as well as Gaudiano's robust inks and greytones; is currently the best that it's been in the entire series. It's plain to see when you compare prison Rick to AOW Rick.

Something that had me wondering though was Negan's jumpsuit. Do you think it's possible, because Andrea was the one in charge of laundry and clothing at the prison(basically the prison seamstress), and she was the one who found the jumpsuits to begin with. Is it possible that she managed to keep one all this time, tucked away in her gear somewhere as like maybe emergency clothes or coveralls for dirty work? Seems plausible, and that would be so cool if Negan was imprisoned in a jumpsuit from Rick's first stronghold. It would be pretty symbolic of survival, adapt and overcome, carry on, that sort of thing.

18. jwcoombs

Even though I've been reading for years, I still get giddy excited when I wake up and realize it's new comic book day! LOL

It's fun, especially when you're all caught up, because then you can jump in the discussion thread as soon as it comes out. Although the waits can be grueling, it's ultimately worth it; and the speculations and discussion had between issues are always great fun!

Speaking of waiting, let me give you a little tip so you won't need to wait any longer than you have to for your first new release. This is actually the method I use for every issue, but I'm a bit of a fanboy. LOL

New issue of TWD are typically released on the second Wednesday of every month; and most comic shops don't open all that early. But, Google Play sells digital versions of the new issues complete with Letter Hacks, for a dollar cheaper. But here's the best part, Google releases the issue at midnight on the night before the official release date. So each for each issue, I buy the 2.00 digital issue at midnight, so I can read and discuss a little bit and then in the morning when my LCS opens, I go buy two hard copies of the issues bagged and boarded. So all together I spend $8.00 and get to read the issue 12 hours early and have a copy to read and another for the collection. Not too bad.

19. HondaS2kXD

HondaS2kXD Well-Known Member

I'd put money on it. I can't imagine negan would be talking to carl just because he's become a reformed nice person in these two years. There has to be an endgame. A motive. He's clearly trying to twist carl to his side. lol at him. He's being nice in his responses-- saying what he wants to say and implying his will, but not being forceful and not swearing. He's definitely trying to twist carl. There can be no doubt about that. The question is, what is he trying to twist carl into doing?

20. TheWalkingHorn

TheWalkingHorn Well-Known Member

you fanboys are too cute lol. I'm just excited to go to the comic book store. I feel like I belong now. Yay!!

Will our Carl keep on the right track, or will he be swayed. Only time will tell. Pick up issue #128 at a local nerd store near you! Hehehe j/k I'm a nerd too :p