Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Prodigal Son w/ Tom Payne

Discussion in 'Television Shows' started by Dnae, May 14, 2019.

1. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

I liked it okay. As with many pilots it takes an episode or two to find its beats. You all know that I am more than willing to give my sweetie a few episodes to get in the groove.

I have watched the previews for episode 2 and based on those it does appear that the 2nd episode will be a notch or two above the pilot.

It is certainly not a show that is bringing anything new to the table but then again it is the rare show that is able to do so...especially in the network area of series.

2. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

The woman playing the medical examiner....she and I both seem to have a wee crush on Malcolm/Tom. I like her

3. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Saved the best promo for last. As always Michael Sheen is great. I do believe that the scenes between Sheen and Payne will be the better parts of the episodes

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. tink

tink Well-Known Member

She played Rory's best friend Lane in the Gilmore Girls. I didn't recognize her until she talked.

5. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

I never watched the gilmore girls. Both of the female leads on that show get on my last damn nerve.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

I watched the second episode. Does anyone else think the mother is a little weird? More than just pushy but like she was an enabler or even an accomplice to her husband's "hobby"?
    I think she knew there was a woman in the box and helped Dr. Hubby to get rid of her or maybe she was the woman in the box. The sound effects made me think the mystery woman might even have been alive when the box got opened and maybe it was mom. Of course no trace was found of blood or DNA of any type so could this be a possibility?

7. purriwinkle

Watched epi 3 and the show is growing on me. “Malcolm” is much more interesting now as he attempts to find the answers to his questions about his past despite his parents resolute attempts to keep it from him. My vibes were right on that the mother was an enabler who knew what slice and dice hubby was doing. Maybe even directly involved somehow. I also like the interaction between Malcolm and the coroner. Looking forward to next week.

8. purriwinkle

Episode 4 has me convinced Malcolm has been had by his manipulative mother. He wants to believe what he heard in the tape but has he, in his attempt to be reconciled with her, forgot that she told him never to go into his dad's hobby room and that he was never to speak of the woman in the box? A good lie contains just enough truth to be believable and Mom fed the leading investigator what he wanted to hear

Let's see how little sis gets along with her ripper dad. Nice switch up to the family dynamic.

9. purriwinkle

Oh, shit. He found the station wagon. Where is that going to lead?

10. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

I keep trying week after week to find a reason other than gazing at Tom Payne to love this show. Hell I have a hard time even liking the show at times.

His sister - she is a horrible actress. Does not help that her character is about as deep as a splash fountain playground

The writing at times comes off as fan fiction level quality. So predictable and SOOO cheesy

This really is upsetting because I so wanted to love this show. I guess the good news for Tom is that I seem to be in the minority - most who watch think it is the best thing since sliced bread.

Sigh - I'm just going to continue watching youtube videos of Irish people trying American things :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. tink

tink Well-Known Member

I have been avoiding posting in this thread because I feel exactly the same. There are so many phenomenal actors (Tome Payne! Michael Sheen! Lou Diamond Phillips!) in this show, and yet it is just so bad at times. I thought maybe it was just the pilot, then maybe the first couple episodes, but it just isn't getting any better.

I don't think I can go on with it. :(

12. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

TINK! you are missed in the TWD threads

13. tink

tink Well-Known Member

I have honestly really liked this season so far. I promise to post more!

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

I watched the latest episode of this series.

I do not remember the title of the episode nor what epi number it is BUT is was about Malcolm tracking down a serial killer who once "worked" with his father.

I have pissed and moan about the writing on this series. That is can be so cheesy and hokey at times that it becomes almost unwatchable.

I was ready to give up on the show but then I read a review about this episode and thought I would give it one more chance. While I still do not have any delusions that this is great television I am happy to say that this episode was better than any of the last few episodes. Enough so that when the next episode is available on Hulu I will give it a watch.

Obviously I want to like the series because Tom Payne - duh. But I also read that the actor who played Alfred on Gotham will be a recurring character at some point this season.

15. purriwinkle

I never thought it was great tv, but then again, if I only watched great tv I’d have a very limited selection of new shows to choose from. lol.

I don’t watch this type of genre much so maybe I’m not a good judge but I rather liked the slow, if predictable pace. I thought there was some little nugget about Malcolm’s past in each epi which seems to me is the arc of season one. In fact once he catches his father’s accomplice, where will the writers go from there since he’ll have all his answers? They’ve built his character around his instability due to repressed memories which are starting to return at a fast clip. If he discovers the identity of the girl in the box, whom everyone now knows was real, where do we go from there?

I was.behind two epis but was able to watch them last night. Wow! epi 8 was really suspenseful! The way this new killer operates, has he surpassed his mentor the Surgeon? The only fly in the ointment for me (was it seven or eight, lol) is how could killer dad have set in motion all the things that happened in the prison? Yeah, he could have told his fellow inmate his daughter was coming for an interview and suggested he try to get on camera but he could never predict what would happen exactly, which ended up making him look good and gaining his daughter’s gratitude. Likewise, although spooky, the phone in the cellar was another huh? They touched on it, by explanation that somehow, the mother’s manager had been paying the bill for twenty years without out her knowledge, but really? Maybe, I’ve never been that wealthy so maybe you don’t watch the nickels and dimes. I don’t trust that woman. At any rate I’m looking forward to next week.

Favorite line? “You let him pop you like bubble wrap.” Lol

16. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

DAYUM.....episode 9

Tom Payne shirtless in form fitting boxer briefs

Now THAT is great TV!!!!!

Oh and the episode was good

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. purriwinkle

Just finished watching epi 9. Poor Malcolm. Finally gets his sexy on and then almost ginsus his date (Eve) afterwards while in the midst of one of his night terrors. Not a good way to end a nice moment, lol. Maybe she’s the understanding type, o_O.

The current vision of the girl in the box keeps telling Bright to “find me”. When he says he is, she intriguingly replies how can that be so when he doesn’t even remember who she is. Whoa.
    A family friend? The nanny? A relative? A neighbor? A teacher?Who would have gone missing that he would have known then and not have any recollection of now?

Then, what will mom do now to even the score? What can she do to her husband while he’s in that maximum security facility?
    And what’s motivating her? I think she wants to shut her husband up. While they were both complicit in telling Malcolm the girl was in his imagination, now that the truth is known she doesn’t want her son to find out any more, IMO.

18. purriwinkle

ACK! Saw the mid season finale! Wasn’t expecting that and how is he gonna get away? No body knows where he is! And that junk yard killer’s blind grandma, whew, what a nut job!
    Malcolm’s mom seemed sincere about finding “girl in the box”’s identity. IF I was mistaken about her I’ll take it all back, lol.
    Show will return in Jan. If I heard correctly.

19. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

It was a good MSF.

Yeah, blind grandma was creepy. And Malcolm!! What living hell will he be put through? Will his father have a hand in finding where JYK is keeping him? And what can of worms has Mommy opened by going rogue and talking to the media about a possible 24th victim? Will disgraced (former) detective dude survive? Will Dani lose her cool with FBI lady that hates Malcolm? Is it just me or is a foundation for a deeper relationship between Malcolm and Dani be set? And while on the subject of relationships - Gil and Mrs Whitley? Her characters first name escapes me at the moment. I do have one wish. That JYK finds a way to rid the series of Ainsley - I have not been able to connect with her character AT ALL

Glad that the series has improved over time. I so want Tom to enjoy the success of a show that will actually put him front and center.

• Like Like x 1
  20. purriwinkle

I think the disgraced former detective dude who had all the files on TJK is dead. I don’t know if you can survive having your throat slit like his was. Then since no one knows they’re there, right? Creepy granny will probably haul his arse down into the cellar or something.

I get the feeling Dani and JT are kinda warming up to Malcolm which is good.I think Dani wants to have Malcolm’s back when FBI lady throws shade but she doesn’t know how far she should stick her neck out. They’ll come through for him in the end, presumably no matter how many toes they have to step on, cause he’s one of them now. I never saw anything developing between Malcolm and Dani but who knows? He attacked his fund raiser girlfriend with a knife (granted he was asleep) but that kinda maybe puts a little damper on that twosome, lol.

I think Gil has a little something going on for Jessica (I had to look that up myself), at the very least he’s sympathetic to her situation.

Yeah, I have to agree that Ainsley kinda grates on my nerves too. I hate to see her killed but maybe the writers can do...something....better with the character.

I love it when Malcolm’s face to face with a villain and he starts to throw a little psychology at them to get them off balance. Sort of like cornering Dr. Phil, heh heh.

#40 purriwinkle, Dec 7, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2019