Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Question about an electrical socket

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Lindigo, Nov 18, 2018.

1. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

You are saying that whatever is plugged into other outlets in the room are on the same circuit? The outlet I've been talking about is on the east wall. Against the north wall is a massive desk that was moved in in two sections by two men for each section. There is a tiny lamp on the desk. It has one of those candle-flame-shaped light bulbs. Nothing is plugged into the other space on the outlet. The west wall is the closet and the door to the room. The outlet on the south wall has another lamp, plugged into the lower unswitched part of the socket. Nothing is plugged into the top plug of the socket. The wall switch is on that wall. It is always in the off position.

That's everything.

But it really doesn't matter what is on the circuit as far as the noise I hear. The noise was being made by the fan, in its off position. I know I sound like Eugene saying the walkers are whispering in English words, but it is the fan. I put my ear right on top of it and there is the noise, coming from within the fan. I've unplugged it, and the noise doesn't happen anymore.

2. Lindigo

ResMed AirSense 10
    Technical specifications
    90W power supply unit
    AC input range: 100-240V, 50-60Hz 1.0 - 1.5A, Class II
    DC output: 24V [a long line on top with three dashed lines below] 3.75A
    Typical power consumption: 53W (57VA)
    Peak power consumption: 104W (108VA)

Electromagnetic compatibility
    The AirSense 10 complies with all applicable electromagnetic compatibility requirements (EMC) according to IEC 60601-1-2:2014, for residential, commercial and light industry requirements.

Information regarding the electromagnetic emissions and immunity of this ResMed device can be found on www.resmed.com/downloads/devices.

Classification: IEC 60601-1:2005+A1:2012
    Class II (double insulation). Type BF, Ingress protection IP22

3. Lindigo

4. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

If it has a remote control, to some degree it is definitely "on" or the remote control wouldn't work. I'd write it off as a case of value electronics inside, the same way a cheap phone will pick up a lot of noise.

As someone has said before, the easiest thing to do would be to shut off the breaker that controls the place where the cpap is plugged in, then keep trying a light in different outlets until you find one where it lights up (with the cpap breaker still off). Our house now has every single room on its own circuit, but we've rented an old house that had like three fuses for the whole house, with one of them being for the basement.

Another solution would be to put the fan on an outlet attached to an actual lightswitch, or something that will *really* kill the power to the unit the same way as if it was unplugged.

Or, if it's newish, try taking it back to the store and exchanging it. Maybe you just got a poorly constructed one.

5. Lindigo

Thanks! It does have the remote control! The fan needs to be where it is because in the summer heat I get myself wet, collapse on the bed, and the fan cools me off. So I could run an extension cord behind the bed (across the east and south walls) over to the top plug that is controlled by the wall switch and turn it "really off" at the wall?

What should the extension cord be rated for, if you can tell?

6. Apollonia

Apollonia Well-Known Member

Extention cord should be rated as a 14/3 or 12/3. 14 being for 15A and 12 for 20. You would be more then fine with a 14.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Lindigo

Thank you!!

8. zombiemom62

zombiemom62 Well-Known Member

ok, so one breaker in your panel box is wired to several outlets. Usually a 15 or 20 amp, it says it on the breaker. When you turn the breaker off, everything on that circuit is killed. That's how you can tell what is chained together. It may be just your bedroom or could be other rooms. Most of the time, the ceiling lights are on a different circuit and several rooms together and usually only 15 amp since lights and fans don't draw a lot of amps. Your cpap says it is 3.75 A (amps) looks like the fan might only be about 1. your night light isn't worth mentioning. So depending on what else is on the circuit elsewhere, you have only about 5 amps being drawn. Well below the 15 or 20 the breaker allows. Just flip the breaker off to see what else in the house it turns off and you'll know what you are drawing. And the fan should be fine on a regular white or brown extension cord you get at walmart, no need to get anything special. The question would be if you plug in the fan in another outlet that is on the same circuit, will it still make a noise? Some times on electronics you get feed back on things, moving it to another outlet may do the trick or you may have to fine another circuit. Or if you run the fan, does it drown out the noise you hear otherwise?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Morgotha

Yep, if a plug is controlled by a wall switch, when you turn the wall switch off, it will really be "off". The only downside to that is that it's internal clock will be "off" as well (or running on an internal battery), so you might end up with the thing blinking "12:00" at you when you turn it on.:mad:

I agree with Apollonia on gauge of the cord. The other thing about cords is their length, so if you had 100 feet of cord, that would require a thicker cord than a little 12 or 20' one you'd use in a room. 14 sounds good to me, but any smaller numbered gauge (12 or 10) would work as well, they'd just be thicker and more expensive.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Morgotha

The other thing would be whether the fan made noise *all the time* when the cpap was on or just some times. If it's only some times, and multiple rooms share the same circuit, it could also be that the load from some other device in a different room (like a washer, or a refrigerator kicking on) is what is stressing the circuit and making it get "noisy".

You know, one other thing that can cause a LOT of weird problems is a bad ground. Maybe just getting the two items to different wall sockets completely would solve the problem as well if it's related to grounding of something or other. All in all, electrical problems are a PITA IMO.

11. zombiemom62

rating on 16 guage cord, like the regular ones you buy for inside, is up to 13 amps (not watts) for a 25 foot cord, the fan is no where near that;)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Morgotha

Yes, but... remember this is going in to the home of someone who has a five way power strip sitting on one outlet now. Even if the intended use now is just to run this a/c unit, what will its use be next year? What will the draw be when it's also carrying the load of an old-school Christmas tree, and a portable electric heater, and an iron, etc.? My philosophy is that the farther you are from the edge of the cliff, the less likely you are to fall over.

#32 Morgotha, Nov 20, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  13. Lindigo

LOL The C-PAP is in a tiny bedroom and there is no room for anything else. There is all of 23 inches to walk between the queen-sized bed and the desk.

Even the 5-way adapter (which covers both plugs) only had 4 things plugged into it. It evened out to one thing per plug space for the room.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. zombiemom62

yeah but the thing is that this is just a floor fan not an a/c, it's 60 watts, like a light bulb, She said a/c at first, but clarified later it's just a fan. My bet is she has a suitable extension cord on hand

15. Lindigo

Yep. I just ran the ordinary extension cord around the room and plugged it in to the switched socket.

When the wall switch is in the Off position, the fan is now really off and not making any noise when I wear my mask.

When the wall switch is in the On position and the fan is "off" and I wear the mask, the fan still makes the occasional soft clunk noise, same as it was doing before, except I think it happens less often and the sound is softer. (Or maybe it only seems less intrusive because I'm not testing it in a completely quiet, dark house while going to sleep--dunno.)

When the fan itself is turned on and I am wearing the mask, the fan works without making any inappropriate noise.

So next summer, if I set the fan to run for a while and then turn itself off, I will already be asleep before the soft clunk noise will happen, so it won't matter to me. When I am asleep, I stay asleep.

I AM HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY. Thank you everyone!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Morgotha

Ah, I thought she meant she only used the fan portion in the Winter as she didn't need the cooling. If it's only a fan, I agree a "normal" household extension cord would be plenty.

#36 Morgotha, Nov 21, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. DavidDavidaon

DavidDavidaon Active Member

Hmm, being from the UK I've never understood 120v (except that more idiots get big shocks rather than turned into ash) at a guess if the fan is AC your C-PAP could be feeding back resonance into the circuit (much like the way you can set up an internet connection using your Home's sockets (unless that only works in the UK; it was an interesting alternative to WI-FI for people (mainly school friends who had just got an XBONE 3shitty and didn't want to buy a Wi-Fi router and a Wi-Fi receiver for the 360; lots of them bought them up when I said it was a cheaper (at the time) alternative and used them.
    It could be some sort of resonance wave travelling back along the live or common (neutral) that is screwing with the AC powered fan.
    Putting a rectifier in somewhere in this circuit might help though that would require electronics and soldering knowledge.
    Or you could try getting a second extension cord and a multi adapter plug, use one cord for the C-PAP and one for the AC.
    That's a shot in the dark, but it may fix things.
    Emphasis on the may.

Or your C-PAP might have a really weird fault causing it to give off lots of radio noise.
    Unplug them and run a radio (the more basic the better) on AM tuned into quiet static, then plug things in one by one and see if your radio starts making a heap of noise.

If it's radio noise then you can either build a faraway cage around the offending item, the "victim" item or replace the offending item.

Edit: A C-PAP machine would need a pump to make sure you breathe correctly, right? Never saw one here in my life. Too expensive for the NHS probably. Anyway that pump may have an AC motor as well as your fan and for some reason I don't understand they could be affecting each other (possibly due to electrical pulses sent down neutral "out of sync" affecting one motor. That would be way above my understanding of electrocity.

You could always draw a pentagram on your floor with chalk, place candles at each point and put the AC unit there and see if that makes it communicate louder.
    Not responsible for any demons summoned.

#37 DavidDavidaon, Nov 28, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Lindigo

I love you! You are smart AND funny!!! I am going to copy this into a Life Hacks document for future reference. I am intrigued by the radio trouble shooting, and I happen to have the world's most basic radio in my earthquake kit. The noise problem is already fixed for winter because I ran an electrical cord over to the outlet by the door, which has a top socket that goes completely dead when I flip the wall switch.

I noticed you guys don't have C-PAPs! I find that SHOCKING! I adored the old Top Gear, and I was stunned Mays didn't have one. It would have totally stopped his hilariously god-awful snoring. If Clarkson had known there was a solution, he would have found some way to get him one. lol Since they are millionaires, Mays should find a way to get one--maybe buy one off the internet that works with your electrical system? They are life-saving. I am one of the people who would have died in my sleep eventually. I have both types of sleep apnea (one is central nervous system), so my brain doesn't even give my body the autonomic signal to attempt to breathe. The testing showed I spent such long stretches of not breathing at all, I was in "not breathing" mode for most of my sleeping time. Some day I will likely have to switch from a C-PAP to a forced Bi-PAP, but the C-PAP fully does the trick for now.

19. Morgotha

I found it shocking they didn't have cpap as well. I'd think that was something the NICE panel could prove was worth its cost.

• Agree Agree x 1